Help needed: Artillery

Started by JRD, August 01, 2009, 09:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

So here's a question for you guys playing the editor...
I'm in SP campaign, about to finish a loooooooong mission, last task is to destroy an enemy base.
3 machineguns nests, one BMP and one T-72, plus loads of infantry.
My notes says I can call atilley support, callsign "Mike", but I just don't know how...  :(
If I hit 5, I get options to call fuel support, ammo support etc, but can't see an artillery strike option anywhere!
I managed to get a RPG from a downed enemy, but can't get close to the T-72 due to MG nests and can't take out nests due to T-72  :-*
Guess not all my options are available as it might be in the editor, but any light is very appeciated
Cheers
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

open the map, and from within the map you should be able to access the artillery command. you have to mark the spot on the map where the strike should hit. I remember that from one of the vids we have in our vid topic, maybe you'd like to watch how he did it: see post - hope it helps :) Probably necessary to click to get to youtube if there is a proper HD version of that. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Thanks but no good...
I did the same as he, but can't get the same menu...
He goes "0">Ready to fire, then open the map, again "0"> ready to fire and get a menu displaying "Request artillery".
I do the same and Cooper Blooper goes "Target acquired" or "Ready to fire" as if he was waiting for a green light to snipe while keeping a man in sight, not as if he was transmitting the coordinates for a strike.  >:(
I never get any option to request artillery or chopper.  :-*
My notes says clearly its available on demand.... all that is left for me to do is wipe out the base but is so damn unfair... 4 men against a full batallion with armor...
It must be a freaking bug... I'm very frustrated right now... 9/10 tasks accomplished and I can't go further because of that... been playing that very same mission for days... must be a 6 hour mission so far... can't restart it all over  :'(

well, thanks for the ready answer mate... will check some A2 forums and walkthroughs... I never do that... always like to find my way through, but this is so annoying....

Cheers

<sigh>

Art Blade

Damn sad, really. Sorry I can't help you with that  :(

Changed the subject and made a shoutbox entry ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

HAH...

ARTILLERY MY @SS...

SHOT THEM DOWN

ONE... BY... ONE...

MISSIONS ACCOMPLISHED....... ALL HOSTILES WIPED OUT OF EXISTENCE...  :-*

Never rely on AI... (wow, it rhymes  :P )

I still want to know how to call an artillery strike anyway... its ought look cool........ not stuck anymore though   ;D ;D

Art Blade

Not bad, not bad at all. I guess we can't help it, but that's about worth a decoration, son!

;D nice, JRD!  :-X

JRD

You wait for the report, chap... you wait....  ;)

Art Blade

dke58 recommended screaming "CURRY" all the time, so I tried. Did you?  ;D

PZ

I'm just guessing here because I've not tried anything related to command yet, but in the documentation it states that if you hold the spacebar, the Quick Command menu comes up, from which you can command artillery strikes.  You have to be in the position of a commander though.

JRD

That's the whole point...
I'm just a team leader on that mission... I'm sure artillery support is available, and I should be able to call it at any time, in any location... but some comands are still unavailable for me in this stage of the campaign... :(

I've tried different combinations, as you suggested, but nothing........geez... I even used my feet to hold as many keys as I thought would help... but the darn thing won't happen  :(

Art Blade

I think it was a bug. A really bad one. But you did it, a mission that was probably designed to be impossible to accomplish without artillery... excellent w@&k, JRD  :-X

gvse

I'm not at home now so cannot check it in game but have you tried bringing up the map, then your radio and there should be a command whenever some sort of support is available, in your case "Mike." Click it and a dialogue between you and artillery should ensue whereby you just mark the target on your map or laser-paint it if it's a laser mission. It's one of the ways to call artillery (another one is by a combination of numeric keys).

JRD

Some news...
Been checking BIS site for artillery commands...
It should be like you described, but..........

Some guys report that after you find Lagushina in the Manhattan mission you loose both support options - artillery and chopper transport. Other says if you use one, the other dissapears and another one says that the artillery dissapears when you find the main base  :(

One thing is for sure... it's a damn bugged mission  >:( ... I even restarted the mission, reported to cpt. shaftoe uphilll and waited to be briefed about support just to check if it's available in the beginning of the mission, but it wasn't either...

As for a fearful thought... it might be so bugged I won't make it to the final missions  :(

PZ

Quote from: JRD on August 04, 2009, 12:59:13 PM
...As for a fearful thought... it might be so bugged I won't make it to the final missions  :(

Don't even go there!   :(

PZ

I've been playing with the Lost Key mod in which you can do a whole host of things including calling in artillery strikes.  I played with doing plain artillery strikes, cluster bombs, napalm, precision strikes - all kinds of things.  I tried the strikes in gvse's Hide&Seek mission as well as a couple of the built in missions.  In all cases, if the task was to take control of a town or something, doing the strike did the job and I received the task completed message.  Maybe you could try this technique in your problem spot?

Playing with this mod in game is really fun.  lets you experiment with all kinds of things.  :-X

JRD

Thanks... will sure try... sounds great like fun  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳