Mods to consider

Started by PZ, July 28, 2009, 11:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I think you can combine various mods adding respective lines to the shortcut, as in "-mod=@A -mod=@B -mod=@C"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Absolutely - you can string many of them together - don't know exactly how many though - probably more than you need to.

gvse

Guys,
To starts the game with multiple mods loaded (and to pick and choose any mod you like easily) I use Linebackers Arma2 Launcher. it has become an indispensable tool for me.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6365

PZ

:'( tried that one but it didn't w@&k on my machine - probably a x64 issue - however for everyone else, that looks like a fantastic tool  :-X

RedRaven

before used any mods, made a "clean" copy of addons folder so can always go straight back to "vanilla" install, or can explore DVD and copy folder from that (but not wih all games). and usually make a copy of  Rar or Zip file before opening and installing them. Learnt the Hard way that some folks still like to spread infections. better safe than sorry. :-X 
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

You haven't encountered infections from Armaholic.com files have you?

Good advice about keeping backups - especially when you mod a game.  That's why it isn't a bad idea to keep the mods in separate folders and call then when necessary, except for those that you want installed no matter when you play (like the FPS mod)

RedRaven

Also whilst looking into mod sites , Bohemia/Arma official Forum site, which also hosts alot of mods and modding software and ARMAHOLIC also a huge forum / mod resource site,  (only 2 sights i use ) - anyway - members of both sights are creating a list of mods etc written for ARMA1 and OFP1 that w@&k 'as is' with ARMA2 without need of a re-write.  :-X  (will put few smiles on faces for sure )

lastly got this one today from competed single player section (cant recall which of the sites from but may be on both)
ArmouredRecon_1.0
its simple set up but what makes it worth while looking at  is its s single file, no other mods needed and you can adjust it to give it Random factors instead of being same thing every encounter. Clever and Hard! 8) 
ArmouredRecon_1.0
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Good information dke58, thanks for posting.  I'm sure everyone know how skimpy the little paper manuals are that come in the left pocket of the DVD case - I never really took a look at the one for ARMA2 because all of the other games I've had are so simple that it was not necessary.  However, I was just reading the ARMA2 manual 45 pages long!

The other thing it that the reading is interesting and gives lots of insight into how to operate the simulation, and how it "thinks".  For instance about bullets - they follow a trajectory (as I mentioned before) and have calculated flight times to target.  Different ammunition types have different trajectories and flight times just as you would expect in life.  This is not plain-Jane shooter.  I tested the VSS Vintorez (sniper) which has a scope somewhat like the Dragunov in FC2, but in this one you actually use all those little hash marks.  You need to guesstimate the range and adjust your elevation accordingly.  If you're targeting a running enemy, you need to lead the target appropriately depending on the range to accommodate the bullet flight time.  This is really cool.  :-X

Art Blade

that's what the Armoury is useful for. Select a weapon, and have a look at the stats... they give info about speed and such, so I realised the Vintorez is quite slow. Good thing for you to check it out is at Utes Airfield, use the editor and place different weapon crates, grab a rifle and lay down. Aim at a tree very, very far away and shoot the trunk. After some time you should see a little cloud of dust where your bullet hit it. Do it a couple of times so you remember it, then grab a different rifle and repeat (same tree, of course). You'll notice how different the scopes are and how different the speed and sound and recoil for every weapon is. Interesting, I think :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Yes, I've tried it but on buildings because my aim is so poor  ;) - You can also see the tiny burst of dust when you're shooting at a running target as well - kind of fascinating - the realism.

Art Blade

Using a sniper, I couldn't pop the eye out of a guard though... well.  ;D

JRD

Quote from: PZ on July 30, 2009, 06:25:18 PM
You need to guesstimate the range and adjust your elevation accordingly.  If you're targeting a running enemy, you need to lead the target appropriately depending on the range to accommodate the bullet flight time.  This is really cool.  :-X

And when you bring a running enemy down far from you its absolutely great... an enormous feeling of accomplishment

Thats the kind of realism that sucks me into a game... some say its unforgivingly hard, I say that's how I want a war sim to be  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Unforgivably hard!  Tell them to try to take out a target using a real rifle at 500 meters!  ;D

I agree with you - great satisfaction when you can successfully complete your task, even if it is as small as taking out a single enemy at long distance.

PZ

ARMA2 Launcher

In addition to the ARMA2 launcher that gvse mentioned, here is another one just in case the first does not run (I had problems likely because of Vista64). This one probably does the same as the other one, and here are a few important details:

• Allows you to do startup parameters like -nosplash
  • Automatically scans your ARMA2 installation folder for any mods you have installed (as long as the folders have "@" as the first character, which is the standard)
  • Simply check which mod(s) you want to run and the launcher takes care of the rest.
Using a launcher is much easier than having a folder full of various startup shortcuts!

ARMA2 Launcher download link

PZ

Dynamic weather mod - functions in ARMA2

The purpose of this addon is to bring a more life like weather
system to Arm A. It also enhances the payers surroundings and makes the user
feel more immersed with the natural environment. The user
will be able to select a variation of game logics which
allow the weather systems to be activated.

Dynamic weather mod download link

PZ

WWII Vehicle mod - functions in ARMA2

This addon pack contains two WW2 German vehicles, both in two camouflage versions.

• Opel Blitz (desert)
  • Opel Blitz (gray)
  • Kubelwagen (desert)
  • Kubelwagen (gray)

WW2 vehicles download link

PZ

Messerschmidt BF-109 - functions in ARMA2

The plane has functional animations such as flaps, gear, muzzle flash multiple gun and fully operational instruments (speed, altitude, clock, banking, compas, rpm, fuel).  There are 6 versions of this plane (pure fighter without bombs, with 1bomb and with 4bombs):

• Bf 109F2
  • Bf 109F2 b1
  • Bf 109F2 b4
  • Bf 109F2 trop
  • Bf 109F2 trop b1
  • Bf 109F2 trop b4

BF-109 download link

PZ

Map Editor Update - functions in ARMA2

Want to add hidden items when editing in ARMA2?  This mod will do the trick.  You can add the following item object categories:

• Plants - Grass, Bushes and Trees
  • Rocks - Stones and Rocks
  • Roads - Bridges, Dam, Streets, Ways and Runways
  • Sidewalks - Sidewalks and Paths
  • Houses - Civil Houses
  • Industry - Industrial Buildings and Equipment
  • Rails - all around Trains and Tracks
  • Military - military Buildings, Tents, and Emplacements
  • Ruins - Corpses, Wrecks, Ruins and Rubbish
  • Walls - Walls, Fences, Gates and Streets urroundings
  • Misc - Container, Materials, Playground, ...
  • Signs - Signs, Streetlights, Poles and Billboards
  • Interior - Furniture, Elektroniks and Drinks
  • Water - Boats, Buojs, Seas

Map editor download link

Art Blade

that editor mod sounds interesting. If it works, we can really create something :)

On a sidenote, regarding "Kübelwagen" - for those who know the term but don't know the meaning, Kübel translates roughly to bucket, and Wagen, well, waggon or car, basically a bucket on wheels. I think it's the form of that thing which led to its name.

PZ

Thanks for the translation, Art  :-X

I tested all the mods that I listed and they w@&k great.  To test the editor mod I built a fuel station out in the middle of the desert.

Art Blade

can you please give it one more try and build Port Selao from scratch? Just curious.

;D ;D ;D ;D

PZ

lol, I'm still trying to figure out how all the simulation features w@&k, and how to create missions!  ;D

Art Blade

RedRaven

seeing as could not get on lone ? meant to say Online for nearly all today started trying to create a mission based on a "Police State style action, got all my ideas together, then spent most of the day trying to get a Rocker a Motorcycle... Nil success so far, if you know how Please Please Please Please Please tell me how! can do it if i create them under my control in Editor or with LostKey. but after a gang of two-dozen maybe more to be 1 type of Antagonist. Others likely to be 'Evil killer cult' using priests and most visually random group can pull together, and some kind of Mafia/Cartel group using mostly civy styles but some Ex-military thugs using Insurgent types. at least thats the idea, got to get first steps mastered, well figured out at least before that can happen ;)

typo edit.

PZ

Wow, sounds like a good one, but I think you'll need to do some scripting - beyond my experience so far  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳