Call of Duty "4.2" Modern Warfare 2

Started by Art Blade, July 12, 2009, 07:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on December 14, 2009, 03:23:07 PM
Cheers mate, its either ventilate or explode......explode is messy :)

Well, you're among friends here, Fiach - vent away

deadman1

Quote from: Fiach on December 14, 2009, 02:54:49 PM
Things I hated about CoD MW 2

1. Strawberry jam, whoever came up with the idea of smearing that on the screen when you get wounded, needs to be kicked in the 'nads.... alot!

2. Travelling, just getting to or from a mission, sometimes took about 20 minutes of just pressing the stick forward.

3. Follow my leader, Follow Price for a half hour, pretending to sneak in camo gear past roving patrols, to do a mission that lasts 5 minutes, then you travel away again.

4. Really bad politics, I dont know if it was irony or not, but one mission seemed to say that US Marines would fight harder to re-take fast food restaurants than defend the Whitehouse.

5. Having to get my life saved, even though I did nothing wrong, just for padding, where some dork pulls me to safety for 10 minutes, or for some reason, I miss a jump to a chopper (scripted) and fall to the ground and have to run to a new extraction point.

6. Playing as lots of different people that get killed, one scene took about 20 minutes of me being ferried in a car through city streets, just to be shot at the end. Others were just missions, where I may as well just have worn a red Star Trek shirt and carried a sandwich board that read MARTYR!

7. Defend the helicopter, I dont know the mission, even though it made me play it twice for some reason, gave me a gun about 40 bullets and that was it, after the bullets were gone, the scene ended, next mission occured, then reverted back to the 40 bullets bit again.

8. The mission that is "optional", it was the most boring half hour I ever played in a game, nope I wasnt disgusted, its a game ferchrissake!

9. Story.... was there one? Actually there was, but it was told in such a haphazard way, through the eyes of so many people, I just stopped paying attention.

10. SHORT! 5 hr:58 sec, easily 1.5 hours of that was just sheer boredom as mentioned above.

I agree with you on the strawberry jam but I must say that I really enjoyed the game apart from the ending, which I found to be a bit anticlimatic. A question about point 6: Are you sure your not confusing that with the beginning of MW1? Have you tried the MP? Now that`s something to rant about.
For starters there´s no dedi servers, instead the game chooses one of the players in the lobby as the host. As a result you will sometimes switch host in the middle of a firefight!!! :D And there´s a 1 minute intermission beetwen maps  ::) during which you have to sit there all fired up and twiddle youre thumbs like a bunch of old folks an a parkbench. That really brakes up the continuity of play that I´m used to from CSS where map changes takes a few seconds.

Fiach

Im not sure what you mean about 6, was the guy executed at the beginning of MW1 then? I played them back to back, so it could have been MW1, but the rest of the point is about the story being told through the eyes of many different protagonists, a few of them even getting killed, which really annoyed me, I developed no bond with them, I had more of a bond with the guy we rescued from the gulag, from MW1, than the characters I was playing.

The end was like a rehash of MW1, which was annoying, the repetition and the anti climax feeling was the same for both in my opinion.

I havent played MP, I dont for a couple of reasons.

I'm not a big fan of FPS games, I like a good storyline and most FPS games are just really dumb, there are some I like, which maybe I'll do a post on later, FC2 would be one of the more intelligently constructed FPS stories.

There are an incredible amount of tossers that play FPS games, I really like the fact that I will never meet them  8), I confine my online play to MMO's that are usually sword and sorcery based, they tend to attract less tossers.

If I played a FPS I would prefer my PC as I shoot better with the mouse, but my PC just doesnt hack it any more, so there is no point really.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

Quote from: Fiach on December 15, 2009, 10:41:45 AM
There are an incredible amount of tossers that play FPS games, I really like the fact that I will never meet them

Amen to that!! Back in the day I used to play Halo with a group of guys who were really serious about it - a few of them were actually professional gamers who had made some decent cash playing in tournaments and one of them was one of the top ranked players in the world at that point.  Anyway, we would have these huge LAN parties and they took it so seriously - it got to the point that it nearly ruined me on multiplayer FPS's.  These guys were my friends outside of gaming - I had went to high school with most of them, and in the end the competitiveness was actually posing a threat to our friendships!  I was out at that point, and it's left a bad taste in my mouth for playing FPS's online ever since.

Art Blade

Hard memories, I can relate.

I know most people are just regular guys who play once and then, maybe more, but nothing compared to a professional gaming attitude. So it will be causing reactions, when you tell that to a regular guy, you may get a reply like "I always have fun online and I only met nice guys" meaning "I think you exaggerate." Nothing wrong with that, just another oppinion. Or "I don't like it either" meaning "I had more fun in SP" for whatever reasons. Myself, I am a bit of both worlds. I used to play competitive and did rank high in world ladders, but I realised that it was not my kind of world. No matter what everyone thinks, it is important to understand that there are very different levels of experience and of how to play a game. Nothing wrong with professional gaming (hey, they w@&k for money and train like several hours per day) and nothing wrong with newbies or occasional gamers, they want to have fun.

The only problem I can see is, if these players mix and try to convince the respective "other side" that they are wrong. As long as they just play together, it may be fun at best and depressing at worst (ever lost against someone who seemed to be invincible and precise as a machine?) and instructive/educational in the middle.

Just make the right decision for yourself. Good if you find out what you are, and act on it. The only thing I think is worth striving for is to be content and happy, and if possible, to be tolerant.

Be and let be :)

Oh, need to add, "tossers" yes, there are guys that seem to have nothing else on their minds than to spoil someone's fun. Teasing, provoking, and annoying other people. That was the main reason I stopped MP :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

I play a fair bit online, mostly FPS or TPS (like Uncharted2). Yes there are tossers online, but there are also good guys.  I find since I neither royally suck or am exceptionally good, I typically fly under the radar of most people with hateful remarks, but sometimes I get it (I guess because you can pronounce my name unlike a lot of online names...)  It's been pretty rare though.  AND there is a MUTE button if you like.

But if I had to choose I want a good SP game with a good storyline and characters.  Online gaming is a bit of icing on the cake for me.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on December 15, 2009, 05:12:06 PM
it may be fun at best and depressing at worst (ever lost against someone who seemed to be invincible and precise as a machine?)

Yes, over and over again, yes!!!  :D
You show these guys an inch and they will show you a respawn point!!
Keep in mind, they were, and still are, my friends, and for a long time we were all pretty much on the same level and having fun, but at some point this smaller group broke off and ran away from the rest, and that's where it all went horribly wrong!  Don't get me wrong, I envy and admire what they can do but I would never put those kind of hours into one game to acheive it!  At their peaks it was w@&k to them - they were putting in hours and hours every day to perfect strategies, maintain their twitch reflexes - they were so good because they would obsess over tipping every possible advantage in their favor.  I guess that's how you get to the top in any endeavor.  Anyway, the end of the story is that some of them did eventually learn the error of their ways and started taking it down a notch when we got together for "friendly games".  I will still play with them once in awhile, and it's fun for an hour or two, but even at a casual level the glaring fact of how hopelessly outclassed you are quickly shines through. 

Fiach

Quote from: mmosu on December 16, 2009, 05:27:38 AM
but even at a casual level the glaring fact of how hopelessly outclassed you are quickly shines through.

Yeah, I can see how that could become an issue, thats one of the great things about MMO's, you can just log in a lower level character to go and hunt with lower level friends, makes every thing a more level playing field.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

I read in the paper the other day where Modern Warfare 2 has now become the highest-selling video game ever, pulling in the sort of figures normally reserved for blockbuster films. It's even giving Avatar (the movie) a run for it's money. This really surprised me as I didn't think it was that great a game - good, but not brilliant. I'm also of the opinion that CoD games have become much of a muchness, and MW2 didn't really break any new ground in the FPS genre.

I think FC2 dumps on MW2 as an FPS game, for replay value, non-linearity and involvment, but evidently a great many people don't agree with me.

RedRaven

MW2 has been a massive sales success, and they have also had 6+ years and 5 previous games to build a following and develop a good formula. As of November 27 2009 the franchise sales total was more than 55 million units world wide.

BUT I personally do not think each game has a long play-life or re-playability factor. It seems to be the kind of game you play and complete once or twice before moving on to another game. This has been the case with a few people I know who have it.

Now 7 is on the way, due for November 2010, this time its the Vietnam conflict for the setting. No doubt it will be another big seller.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Games like this one are meant to have a long lasting life on MP.
It sure look awesome, but its not really appealling to me...too linear, too scripted... should be a one playthrough-only to me, like Crysis.
Since I'm not into MP, MW2 is not a must have for me... maybe one day when it hits the discount bins!!

Now for those who enjoy being part of a blockbuster action film, Hollywood style, that's the game you should get!  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

one reason for the success may have been the cursed level where you shoot innocents, for the warning you get to think twice if you really want to play it.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

You could have something there, Art.

I agree, the MP following no doubt had the most to do with the game's success. Not being a MP fan, I played it through just once, and since then I've only dipped into the odd mission from time to time. When "7" comes out, I hope there's more than about 8-10 hours worth of gameplay in it, but that time around I think I too will wait for the bargain bin version, if I can be bothered getting it at all. Hopefully, I'll be immersed in FC3 by then...

Art Blade

I skipped the one before 4.2 already, it was yet another WWII shooter without innovations, and that 4.2 was also without innovations. Instead, linear gameplay. On top, a cheap trick to draw the masses. I'm through with CoD I think. There are many more games, and at least they don't need cheap tricks :)

nexor

fragger

Hehehe :laugh:

That second clip was like my first time through that sequence, took me about seven gos to get it right :-[ It's so flipping quick through those trees on that downhill run and if you don't get the final jump just right...

deadman1

Only seven tries? It took me about 45 minutes to get through that section when I played for the first time  ;D

Edit: quote of the entire previous post removed, for readability reasons. /Art

mmosu

:laugh:
Oh, that last one was priceless!  :-X  Get a little off course and suddenly you're a quarter-mile off the edge of the cliff!  :laugh:  I was imagining some fine curse words to go along with that clip, nice one  :-X

Art Blade

I had to watch that second "epic failure" video again. Oh, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again..  :-D

nexor

I tried and tried to dodge those damn trees but they kept on getting in my way........ :-D

Art Blade

I keep saying: I have no problems at all dodging moving objects but when it comes to violent trees and lamp poles attacking me, I am lost.

mmosu

Art Blade

nexor

Why is it that people don't like trees, lamp posts, traffic lights, signboards...... :-D

Art Blade

sometimes I add house walls and cliffs to my list.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳