Malaria

Started by spaceboy, April 09, 2009, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

One thing I noticed about malaria, and specially the pills is that you can do every possible side mission (buddy, convoy, cell tower etc) on the first bottle the priest gives you. Its only after doing the APR or UFLL missions that your tablets run out.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

I've just returned from FC2, exercising my character a bit there  ;D

Red, you're right, and there are only a few specific main missions (or, after a specific amount of main missions) that the underground missions get triggered, on completing that specific mission. (Depending on how you started, in which order you took on which mission, it is probably not always the same, but the principle still is). You'll notice after finishing some main missions, that, immediately thereafter, in your notebook the advice shows up "find someone to provide you with medicine."

As to exercising, I'm on sickness level 0 and did manage to run 45 paces flat out. It took about 10 to 15 seconds till I could repeat that. When tried too early, I managed only like around or less than half of that.

Funny thing, I had a save that was only a minute away from a malaria attack (lol, I had to repeat that attack after every reload) So I tried running before and after the attack. The attack itself cut down my stamina massively (you hear yourself pant after recovering from an attack, just as if you had run a long distance). Right after an attack, I was too exhausted, but after taking the pill, and a few seconds rest, I could run up to 45 paces. That is a lot :) But, as depicted above, "scripted" or "hard-wired" -- it simply is a matter of your game progress and sickness level.

edited my previous post
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on January 27, 2010, 03:50:52 PM
Funny thing, I had a save that was only a minute away from a malaria attack (lol, I had to repeat that attack after every reload)

Looks like you got a bad-a$$ case of De-Ja-Vu there Mr Art ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

heeheehee <chortle>  ;D sure did, mate, sure did  :)

Actually, it is strange to know that within the next couple of seconds or so there will be a malaria attack to suffer. I started running, wondering how many paces I could do until it hit me again... :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

I just made a save that is only a few seconds before a malaria attack! :o

mandru

Quote from: wexer9 on January 29, 2010, 08:37:48 AM
I just made a save that is only a few seconds before a malaria attack! :o

It's better to know when it's going to hit than finding yourself up to your a$$ in alligators and having an attack come on unexpected.  :P
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

wexer9

Indeed...

Speaking of alligators, it would be pretty cool if there were alligators in the game. Or crocodiles, whichever one of them lives in Africa. :P

Art Blade

Go to the Ranger Station...

[smg id=637 align=center width=400]

mandru

For a while I thought some of the African predators would liven up the game but over time I realized that I really didn't want my stalking of a GP to be interrupted by realizing I was being charged by something coming out of the night that had been stalking me!  :-\

In the end game while in Heart of Darkness there's a swamp that you have to wade through while dispatching a sizable group of mercs with a mounted GL (just before getting to the ravine with the plane wreck at the top). Over along the right side of that area, towards the merc base but still well out into the water, there's a crocodile growl in the localized audio track that seriously gives me shivers every time I hear it while moving through cautiously looking for mercs hiding in the bushes and waiting for a clear shot at me.

I can just see myself setting up to GL a GP and having a poisonous snake drop out of a tree limb on me. It would be a case of the GP being able to take me out with out having to fire a shot!

Merc 1: "What was that?"

Merc 2: "Nothing. just the wind and look it's starting to rain bloody meat chunks! Never seen that one before. Bloody Africa! I should have gone to Dental School!"
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳