Strat with a RPG instead of a flame thrower

Started by Cyran, March 20, 2009, 12:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyran

Hi

During the tutorial, when you escape the town, the direction you choose determine where you will wake up. If you choose the Lumber camp, you will get a RPG-7 as special weapon instead of a flame thrower.

PZ

Thanks for that bit of info - I forget which special weapons are available at which wake-up point (they are different for each).  It might be a good idea to incorporate these tidbits into the mission recommendations so that users know ahead of time which area they might want to end up in based on the special weapon available.

... just had a thought, you don't suppose that the special weapon available might be randomly assigned...  we might consider posting our findings in this thread when we repeat the game

JRD

In my first playthrough I woke up in the fresh fish, with a RPG, now I woke up in the slaughter house with a flame thrower.
I just realised I'm in my second run....
Since I'm always around in the game, discovering things and so, I'm not on a hurry to finish it again...........
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Roaven

it matters which direction you go in? *Facepalm* No wonder.

Dweller_Benthos

I saw a map once that had Pala marked in the zones that determined which mission you start with. Forget where it was now, maybe I'll find it again and post a link.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

It's above in the menus.  Tutorial Missions - Town Escape.  I too never realized there was any more than one outcome (or that you could actually escape town) until pzrzao pointed it out.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Dweller_Benthos

Ha, yeah, that's the one, lol, forgot it was here. I never made it much past the hotel walls before I got killed, never even thought you could get all the way out of town. I will have to try to make it in a certain direction next time.
D_B

PZ

Did you guys go out the second floor window of the hotel?  There is one you can go through to enter the alley between buildings - then it is a bit easier to navigate the angry mercs.

Dweller_Benthos

That's the way I left the hotel, out the window onto a rooftop, then down to the alley. As soon as I stepped into the street, I was cut down though.
D_B

PZ

I probably made it because I play on easy - a thought for some of the difficult places: go into the game settings and reduce the difficulty level temporarily so at least you survive (I know... wimpy...)

Zomby Woof

Wow, I didn't know you could make it out of town either!  I just defend the front of the hotel until I run out of ammo, then charge out with the machete.  I wonder I you're character selection affects this.  I know when I started my most recent game, I did so with Frank.  But after completeing the tutorial I decided I didn't want to stare at those sickly looking forearms for 100 hrs. (no offence to gingers, but in this game it looks wierd  :P ) So I started up again with Warren, and found that I got a Flamethrower (instead of an RPG) and that the Dialogue with Anto (SP?) was different.  When going to repair the car, he said I looked like a "vocational school drop out."  Where as with Frank, he just called me incompetent in more colorful language.

JRD

I guess the special weapon you get is either random or depends on where you wake up and not depending on your character.
As for who will be the guy giving you the instructions at the very beginning, you can check here

http://openworldgames.org/Missions/Tutorial/TownEscape.htm

I too never make it out of town. I tried to shoot them all on my first playthrough (bad, bad idea) and now, on my 2nd, I was very carefull to escape, but high on malaria and playing in hardcore is really tough. I'd surprised if I did.

Maybe I'll go kamikaze playing infamous next time  ;)

PZ

Of course, you could start wimpy and then switch to HC after you escape via the sector you wish...

retiredgord

Geez I didn't even make it out of the hotel..just almost then everything went black.  If I passed out I'm not sure but I came too at the slaughterhouse and started taking abuse there.I chose Marty but not for any particular reason. Next time I'll try someone different and see where I end up. The great part of this game is the parameters are always changing..I never did the same thing completely the same Also I'll try more daylight mission and not drive like a nocturnal maniac..lost a lot of vehicles to rollovers and hang-ups on rocks. It's gonna be months of fun  for me in FC2
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

You bet, retiredgord,  I can't believe that I still experience an increased heart rate when I fire up the good 'ol PS3 in order to play FC2!  I can't wait to try some of the things that Art Blade has posted.  he is clearly a guy that has taken the time to analyze aspects of the game.

retiredgord

Yes PZ, and the feeling of the hackles on the back of the neck rising when you think you got a perfect spot and you hear" Hey, you", or "What've we got over 'ere" and you're not sure where the HELL they are standing.
I've had many a startling wake-ups when that happened.  And you can't find them quickly until one opens up fire on your position.  What a game.

spaceboy

retiredgord, don't worry - I roll my truck or get it stuck against rocks going blindly over hills during the daytime  :P

And, yeah guys, speaking of increased heart rate, just the other day I was sniping the Claes Products mercs (no video this time) and one of the bastards snuck up on my side without me seeing him.  Oh man when a pair of knee caps came into my scope  about 2 feet away from me my heart jumped in my throat!

retiredgord

Spaceboy..maybe we should have our spouses receive training in CPR and the Defribrillators just in case we get into a really tough spot

PZ

One of the best times I get to play is before the wife rises in the morning - still in bed, I slowly and carefully (so I don't awaken her...) turn on the PS3, fearful that it's "beep" on startup doesn't cause her to stir.  Then I can snuggle down comfortably and start playing the game.  Although I'm usually fairly good at not moving much, occasionally I'll run smack dab into a merc which then startles me such that I almost jump in the bed...

... man, talk about annoyances...  ;D

JRD

That's why I let my computer in my "office" at home  ;).
- "Good night darling" (she is an early riser, I'm not) and off to Africa till get too sleepy to aim.
Eventually, she works on weekends and I stay home, so I get at least a 6 hours of gameplay during the day (depending on the weather outside) and more after she goes to bed.

spaceboy

My PS3 is in the basement and game time is after the kids are in bed, sometimes pretty late on a Fri or Sat. night, so the surround sound can't be too loud, but I've got it loud enough.

As for CPR, retiredgord, the 'ole lady don't come down really so they'll just find me there on the floor with the tv on...oh well a chance I'll have to take.  I'm hoping the beer helps keep me chilled so I don't get too startled. 8)

retiredgord

I posted to the old site the following so please excuse me if it comes up a duplicate. Our PS3, (son and I) is in the basement also. My spouse only comes down for laundry, otherwise she just bangs on the floor to tell me to turn the volume down.  I used to think it was the sound of a mortar round coming in but then realized it was her way of telling me she couldn't tell my shots from the ones in her crime shows.

PZ

Thats a good one retiredgord, and I'm glad that you reposted it here!

(We lost a few posts while the migration was taking place.)  The old site is now in maintenance mode, so if anything bad happens here while I'm tinkering, I'll re-open the old site to let everyone know the status.

JRD

Quote from: retiredgord on April 15, 2009, 05:19:48 PM
I used to think it was the sound of a mortar round coming in but then realized it was her way of telling me she couldn't tell my shots from the ones in her crime shows.

Priceless..........

spaceboy

That is a classic comment, retiredgord.  They only complaint I've received about sound actually hasn't come from a shooter (I suppose the sounds are less consistent), but actually from Star Wars Force Unleashed - I was doing just that - unleashing some major Sith fury on some poor hapless clone troopers and it was "shaking the house." 

It's quite fun to lift up a trooper, then impale him with your saber, leave him hanging while he tries to wrest it free, then drop him in a pile while your saber flies back to your hand.

Tags:
🡱 🡳