First Impressions

Started by spaceboy, June 04, 2009, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

The scenery is absolutely beautiful...

spaceboy

hella-better review than I've put together in several weeks!  Nice job explaining everything and giving great descriptions of the gameplay and map.  Thanks for that, my friend.  :-X
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

thanks spaceboy :)

I've been racing all night  ;D I love the motorcycle races, the quad races, heck, I like everything in that game!  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

just picking up the Doppler Truck question: I noticed three trucks into which I bumped. There was a green, a red and a blue arrow, the colours representing Vista, Challenge and Livery. Getting all three trucks unlocks the area, so to speak :)

And I found a maverick... a motorcycle... I reckon there are different mavs? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Funny about the doppler trucks is that I always thought those were the ones you see driving around all the time (I think they will lead you to challenges or vistas) But now I think the ones your talking about  hunting down are the colored arrows (that I haven't found to my knowledge) which according to your screenshot will make all vistas or liverys or challenges show up on your map.  Up till now I have been finding them organically by driving and then when you get "close" it says you have spotted it.  I think that is how it is working - I could read the manual, but...nah  :P

Art Blade

hahahahaah!!! I hate reading manuals for games  ;D

As far as I remember (I hope I remember correctly), winning some career races in an area unlocks those dopplers. I remember the message right after a race, together with the scores and such, "an X doppler truck has been spotted", X being either vista, challenge or livery. After that, you see an arrow on your map if you zoom in, matching the colour of the icons you see on the radar (or compass). You get the message again when you actually spot the truck (being nearby is good enough) and then you see it on the radar too. Same goes for Mavericks.

Art Blade

Spoiler
[smg id=1011]
Race Driver: Grid

I was just thinking how much some display features are similar to codemaster's grid, only I miss the onboard/cockpit view. Funny how the intro of FUEL, that comes with the game, still shows one car from a cockpit view with dashboard. In the game there is no such option... I guess they didn't have time to get all cockpit views done properly (as they did in GRID)

deadman1

Ok I just finished about 4 hours of Fuel *my left indexfinger is about to fall off*, this was my first real chance to play for an extended period of time. My impressions so far:
1. My driving sucks ;)
2. I REALLY need a gamepad, the keyboard is totally wrong for a racing game.
Other than that I like it.

Art Blade

nice, deadman, a new avatar :)

I agree, I would prefer my wheel over the keyboard, but unfortunately FUEL PC doesn't w@&k with it. Then again, I prerfer a keyboard over a gamepad :)

"My driving sucks" -  drive more  ;D

deadman1

The problem I´m having with my keyboard is that it´s digital, I cannot get the correct amount of throttle, stearinginput or braking that I want. It´s so hard to win a race or a challenge when your vehicle is all over the place. It works fine for driving in FC2 becuase it´s not that challenging. Fuel has built in support for the PC version of the Xbox controller so I´m going get my hands on one of those tomorrow hopefully.

Update: So I got my hands on a gamepad today, it´s a Logitech Chillstream. It has the same layout as the Xbox pad but I think it´s a little smaller. It´s a littke too small to be comfortable in my toiletseat sized hands, so I don´t think I´ll be using it for any marathon sessions. The reason it´s called Chillstream is because of the little fan that blows cool air into your hands while playing, it may seem like a gimmick but it´s actually works!   :-X  So if you´e looking for a gamepad to use with your PC then this one is a good buy.

Art Blade

mine is digital too. I don't know if there ever were analogue keyboards, but you control your drive by either pressing the forward key or releasing it, additionally you may apply the brakes and for sliding you use the hand brake. Same goes for turning: either you turn, or you don't. Use a series of quick turns for softer turning, or add hand brake to full turn so you oversteer and slide. Do-able, but needs practice :)

deadman1

Oh no you used the ugly word "practice"  :P I´m just too lazy for that I think, but we´ll see. Luckily I can find a gamepad quite cheap (around 20 euros) so it won´t be a disaster if it doesn´t w@&k out ;)

Art Blade

hehehehe :)

damn, can't say "w@&k" or JRD will be getting ready to jump with his bared arse onto my face, and can't say "practice," or deadman is going to do "else" to me. I think I am f@#$ed - now look a that, even the forum is complaining, scrambling my statement. At least I can drive in peace and quiet  ;D

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on August 14, 2009, 01:57:34 PM

damn, can't say "w@&k" or JRD will be getting ready to jump with his bared arse onto my face, and can't say "practice," or deadman is going to do "else" to me. I think I am f@#$ed - now look a that, even the forum is complaining, scrambling my statement. At least I can drive in peace and quiet  ;D

LOL

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on August 14, 2009, 01:57:34 PM

You bet I am, son.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad you noticed and rectified your statement  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

RedRaven

At last, got my PS3, and after wrestling the controller from my kid got fuel up and running.
Never been a fan of racing games before but really enjoying this one. Done the race with the dune buggy twice, came 6th and then came 1st ;D .

Found my first livery and vantage point on free-roam too. Looking forward to exploring more areas and grabbing more goodies.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Have fun with Fuel and the console, Red - the games feel really different on the PC vs console, but that makes it fun - the same game played on each system is almost like a different version of the same game (if you like mods and cheats) ;D

spaceboy

nice job Red - I remember really liking the way the races are integrated right into the free roam world, and when you finish a race you go straight into free roam - seamless.  I spent a lot of time early on driving to each race but eventually used the menu more. Or I'd spot a livery or vista or just some far off mountain and say "I'm going to go there"' and 30 minutes later arrive there lol.

glad you're liking it - we'll have to get some free roam or online races if we can

RedRaven

THIS GAME IS AWESOME !!!
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on April 30, 2010, 07:13:20 AM
THIS GAME IS AWESOME !!!

Welcome to the club, mate!

I LOVE the soundtrack...  :-X :-X :-X

I only whish you could do more races against the nature e.g. hurricanes, earthquakes atc...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

Quote from: RedRaven on April 30, 2010, 07:13:20 AM
THIS GAME IS AWESOME !!!

FUEL YEAH!  Gimme 5,000 square miles to cruise and race - OK!  I'm not a huge race game fan myself, but this one has given me many many hours of good fun.  I've even just put my music on, and gone for a long drive - quite relaxing.

RedRaven

Over the past week been playing for between half an hour to two hours a day. Completed a few challenges, collected a handful of Livery's and Vista points as well as picking up trophies along the way. Oh yeah, spent loads of Fuel points on vehicles too and not that keen on most of them :( .

However most of the time has been spent in the Psychotic Fox dune buggy charging full speed across the really impressive landscape. Switching from asphalt roads to dirt tracks, open fields and tree covered hills on a whim.

It is by far my favourite vehicle for free-roam, not the fastest in my collection but certainly the most fun. Getting better at timing handbrake turns and sliding round bends. Have taken to using both asphalt and gravel roads to get to the top of a hill then racing to the bottom dodging trees, rocks and trucks on the way, and trying to hit fuel barrels when I see them.
Glad I didn't get the PC version, I've never been a racing/driving game player, seeing them as more a console game. Always felt unnatural with a mouse/keyboard set up. On the PS3 it perfect, leaning left and right as the vehicle slides around. The wireless controller and the way its held is much more in line with a steering wheel / handlebar.

@spaceboy - give me another week or so to get more confident with the control pad then we can get some online free-roam action going 8) . A friend of mine is up for it too so we could meet up, pick a distant destination and just ride!

Also do you know of anywhere on the net with pictures of all the vehicles? Be nice to see what is still to come.

spaceboy

yes I liked the psychotic fox as well.  I also loved the spider wraith buggy - that was my favorite buggy.  I used the motorbikes mostly in free roam.  There is a maverick bike that's great - can't recall the name.  FYI the best climber is the Knightmare.

I don't know of a link with all vehicles though.

Looking forward to some free roaming with you.  I was thinking of trying to get some of the mates I used to roam with for an "anniversary run" FUEL (came out last May/June).  It'd be great to get a decent crowd going.

Jim di Griz

A bit late for a third anniversary commemorative run, but I'd be up for one if anyone else is - anyone on the PS3 that is.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there are PC mods which allow tornados in free roam and additional races. I'll have to dig up the link if anyone is interested.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Tags:
🡱 🡳