Duke Nukem Forever

Started by black.penta, May 31, 2009, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Poor dog. You should serve it only tender stuff.. so stomp on that shrunk version of pedigree dog food for a good amount of time to soften it up  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I remember that Duke 3D level quite well. I'm pretty sure that vid was made on a console or something, I'm almost positive that you could mouse aim in D3D, but not entirely sure. It could have used the auto height aim that Doom used, as long as you were in line with the target, it would hit it, no matter if it was above or below you. Now that I think about it, maybe it was like that in Duke, not sure. The first game I remember using the mouse to aim was one of the first Jedi Knight games, where you pretty much had to. Took some getting used to, as I had only been using the keyboard for games like Wolf 3D and Doom up until then.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

I dont remember about mouse aim, but iirc after the cinema there were the flying cops, so I'm guessing you could mouse aim at them, as they were up in the air, memory is gone these days I'm afraid, ... I do remember once when I was five, I found this frog ..... *wanders away mumbling to himself.....

>:D
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

But you're right Fiach, I have that too. I clearly remember that I was sitting on my father's desk getting used to the free-mouseaiming, but somehow I can't remember what game it was.
I do remember having played another revolutionary game called Battlezone created by the "Activation" developers. It was a game where you had to scavench materials, metals or so, like in Red Faction. You were brought from one weird planet into the other, and the main goal was scavenching that material, and preventing other groups from taking over. So it was basically a battle just like Dune back in the days, complete with a base, some structures, flying tanks, harvesters and other transport-like vehicles.
I might have been the first crossover between a first-person battlefield and the command an conquer formula. When you was fighting the hordes of the others, you could also command your troops in a C&C kind of way, and build you base etc. etc.
I liked the way they set this construction up, It was good playable. You could choose which 'floating tank' you wanted to drive yourself, So you could have a great influence on the battlefield. Meanwhile you could manage your troops, turrets and other weaponry in a way that you allways had proper backup or defence.
I just googled it and found it, this genre should be called 'realtime strategy'. I'm sure this game had mouse-aiming, and it might have been my first experience with it. At least on my own PC. I did play a few rounds of quake back in the days on a friend's computer.
Lol, all that history ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Quote from: fragger on July 09, 2011, 02:56:15 PM
There is another gaming shop in town and a couple of the department store chain outlets sell games, but there wasn't a Duke to be had in any of them.

So... still waiting... >:((

STILL waiting... >:(( >:(( >:(( >:(( >:((

Binnatics

WoW!!!!! That's a digrace! You should nuke the damn place and order the game via internet or something. That extraordinary!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Sometimes those who inhabit that large slab of land down under the rest of us forget that mail sent to convicts requires very close scrutiny. They have one inspector for that job. Constable Slomo Tion :-D

Binnatics

Constable Slomo Tion....  ^+-+ now that's something.

My advice: Nuke'm both  >:D

fragger

^+-+

The Governor informs me thus: In Light of the abnormally Long Delay in receipt of Said Goods, it is opined by the Those in Authority that Her Majesty's Frigate "Ne'er Do Well", whilst engaged in her Business of transporting the Game Shipment, has either been eliminated en route by a French Man o' War, or has foundered with all Hands in a Squall whilst attempting to round Cape Horn.

Binnatics

^+-+ Lol

Once you finally have the game it will e worth ten times the usual  ^-^

Art Blade

Art Blade

STEAM released a 547MB patch

Quote- 4-weapon inventory option in single player campaign
- MP Server favorites
- Dedicated server overhaul
- FOV can be modified
- Change VOIP to push-to-talk (bandwidth fix)
- VAC anti-cheat system enabled
- Support for Japanese Steam ID's for PC release in Japan
- Auto-aim fix
- Blood effects on surfaces behind enemies when shot
- Steam.exe no longer uses an unusually high amount of CPU
- Texture quality improvements
- Fixes to prevent single player and multiplayer save data corruption
- Leaderboard exploit fixed
- AMD Dual-Core Optimizer no longer automatically installed (fixes rare bugs with Intel processors)
- Crash/compatibility fixes and other minor bugs

Binnatics

Now THAT is a fix! Thumps up for steam, or is it 2k Games?
Anyway, this game deserves another playthrough now, if only I hadn't done 3 playthroughs allready. Might focus on the MP again ;)

I read somewhere that, despite of the bad reviews the game got, it was bought in huge amounts all over the world by the 'old fans from backthen'  ^-^

Art Blade

Yep.. the old DN3D had a huge fan base and I bet all of them who are still into gaming got DNF (like me)  :-()

Binnatics

Gearbox Software has promissed that they will make a sequel: During the "Penny Arcade Expo" in Seattle, Randy Pitchford, director of the developmentstudios of Gearbox said that they didn't only buy the game of 3DRealms to finally make it available, but also to create "their own" Duke Nukem.
About the extremely bad c.q. good reviews the game has got during its release he said that this was just the goal of the makers.
There's also coming DLC's for DNF. As far as I could find out it's about online weapons and maps.

Dweller_Benthos

huh I still haven't finished the game yet, too busy to play much of anything lately. Maybe crank it up this weekend, since it's supposed to be a bit rainy, as if Irene didn't give us enough rain already, sheesh.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

Quote from: Binnatics on July 27, 2011, 10:42:50 PM
^+-+ Lol

Once you finally have the game it will e worth ten times the usual  ^-^

Doubt it, the 360 version is now selling at €19, pretty fast price drop, probably due to the negative reviews.

The CEO of gearbox (borderlands dev), said if people dont like DNF they "dont have to buy it" or words to that effect, a kind of astonishing remark on a few levels.

LOL at fragger :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

Indeed, nice remark. I think he's right :-D

fragger

:-D

Quote from: Fiach on September 02, 2011, 09:54:05 AM
The CEO of gearbox (borderlands dev), said if people dont like DNF they "dont have to buy it" or words to that effect, a kind of astonishing remark on a few levels.

And you're right about that, Fiach ??? He must also own the shop which I've been trying to get DNF from, because it seems I was right too...

Apparently my copy of DNF has indeed gone to Davy Jones' Locker >:(( I went in to the shop to ask "WTF, it's been weeks", and was told by the tattoo-emblazoned muppet on the counter that as their warehouse didn't like, you know, have any copies on hand, they weren't able to like, you know, order me one. After taking a moment to assure myself that my ears had not in fact deceived me, I then asked: Can't the warehouse like, you know, order some more? No, apparently not, unless the demand is like, you know, there. In a barely controlled tone of voice I advised him that perhaps it may have been a good customer relations-building move to contact those customers who have ordered non-arriving products and keep them abreast of developments like these, so that said customers don't waste their time and end up taking their business elsewhere, as I was now going to do forthwith. The response was a shrug and an "I-really-don't-give-a-fugg" expression. So I thanked him profusely for wasting my time, told him I hoped that all his mean-looking tatts would migrate to his chest and morph into a picture of Winnie-The-Pooh, wished him a tracheotomy for Xmas and left.

However, since this young Rockefeller was kind enough to give me back my deposit, I thought it might be incumbent upon me to point out to him that simply giving customers back their deposits upon non-receipt of ordered goods does not in fact constitute "business" ::)

So I'll be looking elsewhere for Duke, after I sneak back to the shop later tonight and burn it to the like, you know, ground.

Art Blade

Erm. Are ya like, ya know, pissed off beyond belief?  ^+-+

Nice story and well written in an entertaining way  :-() :-X However, the story behind it is really annoying and almost unbelievable in times of competition and online shops. I do hope that you find a way to get a proper copy soon  :)

fragger

Just a tad >:((

Not to worry, I'll go out and find a real copy now that I'm no longer waiting on a hypothetical one ;D

Art Blade

fragger

??? 8) :-D :-X

"Ripper"?  "Ripper"?

!
OK, where did you learn that one?

Art Blade

I must have picked it up from an Australian tourist or found it on the web somewhere  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳