Rainy Days (weather in FC2)

Started by gvse, May 20, 2009, 02:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricamundo

Quote from: gvse on May 22, 2009, 02:38:02 PM
Quote from: Art Blade on May 22, 2009, 01:58:55 PM
that's what I was wondering for some time now: Has anyone seen rain at night ? I can't remember I ever did.
neither have I. Almost always mornings as far as I remember.
I caught a light shower this time, and I need to head back to the safe house to fast forward to sth more ominous and atmospheric.

Hi and welcome gvse. I play most of my missions @ night and i see the rain quite often, but i'll head to a safehouse and advance time an hour or 2 until it stops, as i prefer the dry weather. ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

retiredgord

Yes it does rain at night. Just did a mission where it rained like a monsoon.  I actually had to drive slow to make sure I didn't become a rock ornament. The only trouble with rain for me is it that doesn't let the fires burn nicely.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

RedRaven

its great when it rains at night, realy good for sneaking up and planting some good 'ol I.E.D's down, but makes sniping from one side of map to the other impossible
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

RedRaven

rain and night is also a good time to sneak close and get those single bullet in the head kills that are so satisfying, and can even get that rusty old machette bloody too  ;D
got into using 3 main tactics

1- long long range sniping (SVD & Dart, I.E.D's to cover retreats and take out vehicles)

2- Ninja-style (silent 6P9 & machette, grenades/LPO50 as back ups)

3- By Any Means Necesary (any weapon combo to suit, but the radiator grill and tyres of nearest vehicle are first to draw blood. followed by as much fire and explosive as can carry)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

I walked in the rain at night too, meanwhile :) I think it is cool regarding environment and ambience, mood etc but it is crap for missions / fights because the rain makes noise, thus preventing you from hearing mercs walking (except they are very close)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

By the way, peeps: Try to freeze (lol) the weather when it's particularly windy (shortly before rainfall). Then appropriate a juicy flamethrower and molotovs... get my hint?  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Interesting - does the fire spread more than it normally would under calm circumstances?  This might be another technique to use for playing an entire game through.

By the way, if anyone has saved games under different weather conditions, you might consider uploading to the site.

Art Blade

the fire spreads faster, the flames are bigger, in one word: impressive. Yet the fire is timer-based, miraculously self-extinguishes after like 45 seconds. No matter how big the flames... Trees may burn longer, and if a burning branch falls off a tree, it might start a new fire (if it lands on unburnt ground)

Dweller_Benthos

Might be useful to start a fire upwind from a guard post, and have it spread into the post quickly causing havoc.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

yeah, hard to control though. If you can start a fire in the middle of the post, it will eat through it anyway, quick... setting of flammables, hopefully, hehe  :)

tehsam016

So cars really do get muddy in the rain? Thought I wasn't seeing things.

Art Blade

they don't get muddy in the rain (apart from a few spots) - to the contrary, the dust gets washed away :)

on a sidenote, nice avatar  ;D :-X

tehsam016

Hah I see. Thanks though, one of my fav musicians by far ;D.

Art Blade

QuoteWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Been a while since the last post, yet where else but here should I talk about rain? :)

Alright. Usually I set my game either to sunny weather or cloudless night, sometimes though I need a change: Rain.

Strange observation. I was in my safehouse, advancing time, and ended up with a nice misty and rainy weather around 9:00am in-game time. I saved and drove away. It stayed rainy until I passed Dogon Village, driving east from there, entering the desert zone. The rain slowly stopped and nice sunny weather fought its way through the clouds... ?! It stayed nice until I left the desert. It didn't start to rain again, but the weather change was noticeable: Misty and windy.

Even more surprising: I played in rainy weather, decided to load a "sunny" savegame, but the weather was still cloudy or overcast, yet slowly changed to sunny. As if the game itself was a little slow at exchanging weather patterns, despite of savegames... :)

PZ

Fascinating - sometimes FC2 seems like it has a life of it's own  :-X

Art Blade

RedRaven

nanoo nanoo

I seem to experience more rainy days than sunny days, which is all well and good till it reduces visibility when you want long range sniper action!

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Don't I remember seeing something about the weather reflects your health status? The sicker you are, the more rainy it is? Thought I read that in one of the developer interviews or something.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Which side of the monitor are you referring to, like, a sick user or a sick in-game character?  ;D

Since I used godmode, and timescale 0, and got rid of malaria attacks at 73% game progress (sickness level 2, though), it cannot reflect the in-game character's health. And if it reflects the user's health, it needs a hell of a lot of adjustment of the game to fix the weather sensor  ;D

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on December 21, 2009, 01:36:55 PM
Which side of the monitor are you referring to, like, a sick user or a sick in-game character?  ;D

some would say that's a very fine line of distinction to draw ! ! ! ;)

PZ

Yesterday I had a mission issued by Michelle to retrieve documents from a train car at the rail yard - it was raining heavily, so much so that I couldn't even see the guard atop the rusty building, so I went to the safe house south of the location and had a restful evening sleep listening to the patter of raindrops on the roof.  The next morning, I awoke to a sunny day, rested and ready to deal out silent death  >:D

JRD

I wonder how much stealth you can be under heavy rain at a dark night?

The sound of the rain could just mask your steps and the dark night + rain could be like an invisible cloak on you...
... yeah, right, as if it is not FC2 we are talking about here!  :-(

;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

we tried that some time, rain and stuff like that doesn't affect the game mechanics, you'll be just the same as if the sun was shining.. no advantage if it rains and if you can't hear or see a thing doesn't mean the mercs can't, either.. they can.

PZ

Just like when one of them sees you, they all suddenly begin hitting you with lead, no matter which way their gun is pointing.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳