Max Payne 3

Started by JRD, March 18, 2009, 09:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

nice one  :)

Shame it doesn't register  :(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Indeed too bad, but I reckon I might not be the only one that has that problem. Anyway, I'm glad this fight is over :angel:

All together I collected enough XP to reach rank 15 in MP ranking. That makes some nice guns available, and I have some dollars to spend on weaponry there. Time to check out MP3 MP :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

excellent. Have fun  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I'm having fun a LOT indeed, in the multiplayer environment. The maps are all extracted from the game, here and there a bit customized to multiplayer gameplay. They really created some cool maps to run around blasting the s#!t out of your fellow Payners :)

First I thought the game was full of cheaters. I met some guys who got easily up to 50 kills in a regular deathmatch without dying more than probably 4 or 5 times. The ease with which they seemed to kill me made me think they had to use some sort of cheat. Many others were bashing in the chatbox about cheat-this and cheater-that. But staying there for longer made me realise these guys are just incredibly good. They have played the game for over a year on probably a daily base. I think they instantly aim right for the head and thus kill you very fast.

There are 2 minor problems the MP has to deal with, and the first is the most irritating; the lagging. I must say though, it can be worse. Some games you lag, others you don't. Sometimes the lag is on your side, which is also fun ^-^
The other problem is the fact that the pistols are very overpowered. With just a few rounds you kill an enemy, and when using dual wield, you will almost instantly kill them when aiming right. The aiming is so-called "free aim", you can also choose "soft-lock" which I don't. I think that's for consoles.
Once you learn to adapt yourself to the best choice of weaponry though, you'll learn to love the dual wield pistols. I'm very stuck to my double PT92 setup. Fast and deadly >:D

What I really like about the multiplayer is the big variety of gametypes and the way it's mixed together. For example, there's a gametype called "Gang wars" that lets you and your team do 4 different battles against the opposing team in order to win the match, and there is even a tiny story involved. The variety in stories is big, and the variety in tasks to complete is also quite wide. For example you can steal drugs-packages and bring them to your drop-off site, or you can plant a bomb on a strategic point. Or the game asks you to kill the "captain" of the enemy team, who is randomly chosen. Of cours,e the other team has to defend or do the same in order to win. There's also a "king-of-the-Hill" type of game where you have to capture certain areas. And there's a task where you have to penetrate enemy territory by capturing 5 different spots, step by step. That always ends up somewhere along that line in a massive firefight; Great!!
The last and fifth round is always a total massacre. It's either "survivor", where you have to defeat the entire enemy team until the last man, or "showdown" where you have to gain the max amount of kills until the timer runs out.

Another fun and new type of MP is called Payne Killer. This game starts as a regular deathmatch. The first to kill an opponent will transform into Max Payne and gets extra life and heavy weaponry; dual SMG's and a full 'burst-meter'. That gives you a nice advantage to the rest of the players, who will all try to kill you. It's your task to do the same with them. The second to kill someone will turn into Passos, if the total group is at least 5 guys. Then you can team up as Max and Passos against the rest. Every time Passos or Max get killed, the killer will turn into them and so forth and so forth. At the end the one that collected the most credits and XP wins the match.

Bursts are what you have as bullet-time in Single player. But that's in MP just one of many different types of bursts. For example, you have life-expanding bursts, and explosive power bursts and you have a sneaky burst, where you look like friendly to enemies. There's many varieties and all have their special advantages that can come in quite handy. Makes the game even more interesting and won't have you loose interest quickly :)

You can also wear specific things with you that do special help, like locating enemies on the map, or a "hip Flask" that will stop the first bullet a sniper fires at you. There's even an achievement involved, if you kill that sniper in the same life, you get it. It's called: Drinker's Revenge ^-^ I just got it two days ago :-))

All in all this MP game is very entertaining. There's even a Co-op match, called Deathmatch made in Heaven. I'll post about that later. It looks a lot like "Zombies" in the CoD games. Endless waves of enemies in a map where you can open doors, unlock weapon crates and upgrades to these weapons etc. Once your partner is down you can revive, although it's called "captured" and "freed" but the principles are the same. Very entertaining and demanding.

I'll post some pics soon and will tell more about the co-op as well :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

sounds as if you were really enjoying the MP part of the game :) I'd try the coop variant only, I don't enjoy MP any more no matter what. Looking forward to some pics, then  :-D

PZ

It does sound like you're having lots of fun in MP, Binn.  I am as well in B4, which is just about the only game I'm playing right now.

Your new avatar is reminiscent of the head shot icon in B4, AB  :-X

Art Blade

Binnatics

Yesterday I reached the online Rank 40. Then you unlock a load of extra weapons, upon them the DE.50. It's a brilliant handgun. It has a much bigger range than the PT92 I've been using until now, but I have to level it up to rank 8 (weapon ranking) to be able to use it dual wield. That's what I'm doing now. I'm impressed by the difference in range which provides new tactics. The downside to this weapon is that it weighs a lot, and will probably cause my character to be slower when having dual wield equipped. It's a nice puzzle to figure out different loadout to be more effective in certain areas or to obtain certain goals ^-^

I have come up with a new strategy to try to get the "3 Blind Mice" achievement. In order to get that achievement you have to blind 3 enemy players simultaneously with the pepperspray. That seems next to impossible, but I thought about the 'sneaky' perk, or 'burst' as it's called in MP3. You will then be seen as friendly to all enemies and can thus walk along with them without them knowing you aren't part of their team. In the Gang Wars you have to capture areas and ususally all enemies rush in and do it together, because it works faster that way. I can try to sneak upon them and do my trick >:D
Won't be easy though, especially to find the right moment to try it :-D

Binnatics

I just happened to be in a boosting game and did the 3 blind mice there ^-^

...2 achievements left ;)

Art Blade

:) hehe, I remember grinding for achievements, done that, too. Nice, good luck with the last two  :-X

PZ

I can relate - doing the same thing in B4

Binnatics

Funny how these achievements, digital pixel collections of 50x50, move is to do the weirdest things :-D

Art Blade

I've seen it the other way round. I did the weirdest things and even got achievements for it.  :-D

Binnatics

I just levelled up my DE .50 all the way to rank 10 and am able to use it in Dual wield. It has a golden paint job and an attachment that makes the weapon lighter. Together with the increased max weight of my equipment (that is an extra earned by ranking my character up to 44) I can use them in Dual Wield without the downside of becoming a heavier category. So I can still run around like a madman trying to catch these goons  ^-^

I'l post a pic soon ;)

Art Blade

:-D Excellent  :-X

fragger

Nice :-X :)

Can we call you The Man With The Golden Gun then? :-()

Binnatics

:-D

There's one little issue to that; usually I chose female avatars since that looks better in-game, so maybe Double Barrel Bunn With The Golden Gun would be more appropriate ^-^

Spoiler
Oh God, I'm digging my own grave here :angel:

Art Blade

:)
Spoiler
not as much as fragger once did. :-()

fragger

Binnatics

I finally got all achievements. Needed to set up a boosting match with 4 other players to get the last one, that took me the entire weekend. But finally I got it :)

Man, that's a pack off my back :-D

Art Blade

Binnatics

Thank you matey :)

Funny detail; one of the guys that was helping me yesterday (I also helped him of course) gave me a steam present today! It's a beta-test for Dead Island: Epidemic! I am allowed with that to test a teamwork-multiplayer version of the game Dead Island, from a weird sort of top-down view. Am curious, and will try it out this week :-X :)

Art Blade

Binnatics

Did another playthrough this week. Of all linear games I've played, this is sure the one with the highest playthrough count. If I add the times I completed the game in the One Hot Minute Hardcore version, it must be over 30.
Now I just felt like becoming Max again, out of nostalgia. It was great. I watched all the cutscenes and heavily enjoyed the story again. And of course all the funny line both Max and Pasos produce during the fights :-()

[smg id=7696]

And I remember what I wanted to ask JRD about the game. I've come across these weird cake-kinda thingies so many times and figured it is probably the Brazilian equivalent to the Donut as the favourite policemen's snack. But I am actually so curious... JRD do you know what these weird things are, shattered all across that police station?

PZ

???  :-X

Thats lots of plays through!

Tags:
🡱 🡳