movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on February 09, 2010, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 18, 2010, 12:04:26 PMthere's "Hurt Locker" which is IMO a must see for EVERYONE.

Although I don't know why everyone must see it

I would say it is a must see for fans of war films, really enjoyed it and will get the DVD at some point. It has 9 oscar nominations (picture, director, actor, screenplay and others) which says something. Unfortunately it is up against Avatar for picture & director.

Invictus looks to be a good film too, Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman are both good actors, Clint Eastwood is proving to be a good director too. Films about sport don't generally interest me but this one has.

Who remembers "TRON" ?  Tron Legacy is due out in december and is getting the 3d treatment too. Both Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner (always be Captain Sheridan for me ;D ) are both in it too. Official trailer at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcsDc_9LX8

fingers crossed for a good film and not just a cash-cow for Disney.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on February 09, 2010, 02:33:59 PM
Quote from: Art Blade on February 09, 2010, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 18, 2010, 12:04:26 PMthere's "Hurt Locker" which is IMO a must see for EVERYONE.

Although I don't know why everyone must see it

Who remembers "TRON" ?  Tron Legacy is due out in december and is getting the 3d treatment too. Both Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner (always be Captain Sheridan for me ;D ) are both in it too. Official trailer at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcsDc_9LX8

fingers crossed for a good film and not just a cash-cow for Disney.

I knew it was just a matter of time untill they decide to re-shoot TRON... an outstanding sci-fi movie, ages ahead of its time. Dictated how many movies would depict the future and how people would see it...

Too bad I lost faith in the movie industry.

Producers seems to lack whatever was around during the 60s-70s and 80s... recycling ideas has a limit and that limit was reached long ago.

First decade of our milennium is just a potpourri of the last three or four decades of the XX century.

Just so you don't say I'm over reacting, I admit there are a few good and new ideas out there, but you can count them in your fingers...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

Agreed JRD, very few original ideas being hatched in Hollywood these days...

fragger

mmosu just beat me to it :) Was going to say about the exact same thing. So many films are so derivative these days, remakes, sequels, etc.

Art Blade

I watched TRON at the cinema, back then  ;D ;D ;D One of the masterpieces of sci-fi  :-X

Right now I've finished watching a Swedish film (hello deadman  :) ) which was really nicely done.

Män som hatar kvinnor (English Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

A cool thriller based on a novel by Stieg Larsson. An unlike couple, a mid-aged journalist and a young lady punk who got to know each other coincidentally, try to solve a missing person case: An old patriarch of a big company wants to know the truth about his long lost favourite family member. He believes it to be a murder case, closed unsolved some forty years ago. A lot of very dark secrets... I'd say "that's some crazy sh!$!"  :-X :-X :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Tron Legacy is a sequel, so there is at least a small chance it will be good.
In general totally agree with JRD/mmosu/fragger. To that end here is a short list of Films, TV shows, Computer games and Stories that some ignoramus Producers/Directors/Studio exec's have decided to throw obscene amounts of money at coming out in the near future.

> Clash of the Titans
> Conan
> A team
> Robin Hood
> A Nightmare on Elm Street
> The Karate kid
> Tekken
> Bioshock
> Gulliver's Travels
> Red Sonja

And there are, and no doubt will continue to be vast amounts of dross all trying to part us with our hard earned cash.

All this got me thinking, Films, TV shows and Songs all get re-done. But I cant think of any books that suffer the same fate!
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

Good point about books, Red. Who's ever heard of a rewrite?

That list of upcoming movies is pretty depressing. No wonder I don't go to the movies much anymore. Cor... I can't believe they keep churning out the same old formularic drivel. What's next - a remake of Santa Claus Conquers The Martians?

Oops, I shouldn't have said that - I'll be giving them ideas. Unfortunately, not original ones ;D

...The A-Team???  (shakes head in disbelief)... I wish there was an emoticon for "puke"

JRD

Hey... what`s wrong with th A team? It turned Mr. T into a celebrity... you can`t belittle that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I used to watch the A team and loved it... of course, I was nine!!!  ::)

Agree that it doesn`t deserve a movie... AT ALL!!!

And Conan? Who`s gonna play the main character? They can`t beat Arnie....  ;D
Thats a movie I really love... for its own brute, rough nature... Arnie barely speaks, Conan doesn`t need words, only blood 8)

RedRaven

Quote from: JRD on February 10, 2010, 04:01:15 AM
Hey... what`s wrong with th A team? It turned Mr. T into a celebrity... you can`t belittle that!
Now he does the adverts for Snickers bars, oh and one for World of Warcraft :P .

Conan is rumoured to be played by a guy called Jason Momoa , he was in stargate atlantis, the tall guy with dreadlocks. No one can ever take Arnie's place as the true Conan.

Think its lazy of the movie powers that be to redo Clash of the Titans too, its not like there is a shortage of Greek heroes to write about. And no matter how much cash they throw into it CGI versions of Medusa, The Kraken and little old Bubo will never have the magic of Ray Harryhausen's animations.
And surprise surprise its coming out as a computer game too! Its not like Warner Bros haven't got the funds or people to do something new and interesting. God damned corporate whore mongering sons fo £%*$%*"£(*^"(*^£(&^)("& :D :D .

mandru

Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong had a pre-release teaser "The making of Peter Jackson's King Kong" that was longer than the original (and still best) release of King Kong.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on February 09, 2010, 05:24:19 PM
I watched TRON at the cinema, back then  ;D ;D ;D One of the masterpieces of sci-fi  :-X

Right now I've finished watching a Swedish film (hello deadman  :) ) which was really nicely done.

Män som hatar kvinnor (English Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

A cool thriller based on a novel by Stieg Larsson. An unlike couple, a mid-aged journalist and a young lady punk who got to know each other coincidentally, try to solve a missing person case: An old patriarch of a big company wants to know the truth about his long lost favourite family member. He believes it to be a murder case, closed unsolved some forty years ago. A lot of very dark secrets... I'd say "that's some crazy sh!$!"  :-X :-X :-X

You do know yhat it´s a trilogy don´t you? the third movie just opened here in sweden a few weeks ago.

Art Blade

I wasn't sure, thanks for the info. So I need to find the other films. Any idea which is which, like 1,2,3? :) And, did you watch them/your opinion? ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

The one you saw are the first one, the next one is called " The girl who played with fire" and the last one is called "The girl who kicked the hornet´s nest". No I haven´t senn them or read the books, they are called "the millenium trilogy" btw.

Art Blade

Art Blade

on a sidenote, I have to add, I enjoyed the film subtitled. It was actually so much fun to read German and hear Swedish, because with the aid of the text, I often felt like saying "of course!" to a lot of words, even sentences, they were amazingly close to German and English. I remember the conversation we had some time ago about the roots of our languages, and again it was quite unbelievable how closely related a lot of our words are. I wouldn't have understood half of it without subtitles, but while reading them, I almost felt like I didn't need them  ;D

deadman1

I wish I could say the same about german for me  ;D without subtitles I´m hopelessly lost  :P

Art Blade

yes, without them I'd be lost too. But, if listening AND reading the translation, it became quite clear for me what meant what. Something that worked quite well was to listen and to read, then "rewind" (jump back and repeat), and do it again, and again but only listen. Like that, I was able to understand a sentence or two  ;D

fragger

I watched "Inglorious Basterds" – and I'd have to say that for me, personally, it was one of the worst films I've ever had to force myself to sit through (I paid for it, so I was gonna watch it, squirm-inducing though I found it to be). It just confirmed my own opinion that Quentin Tarantino is one of the most grossly overrated film makers in history, and he has all the finesse and artistic flair of a demolition ball being swung by an insane gorilla on ice. Why this guy gets such kudos as he does is totally beyond me, unless mindlessness and a sledgehammer approach to film-making is synonymous with "artistic vision". He also evidently has an extremely tenuous grasp of history - Hitler asking a guard for chewing gum!? Since when did he ever chew gum? And what was with those reactions while watching that film in the cinema? It was one of the worst portrayals of that loathsome individual that I've ever seen. Not to mention the depiction of his face being riddled with Schmeisser rounds – very astute there, Quentin, very insightful  – the aesthetic world trembles before your brilliance.

The story was totally unbelievable and ludicrous to the point of stupefaction, its two and a half hour running time was about two hours and twenty minutes too long (with Tarantino's stock-in-trade interminable scenes of people sitting around a table talking irrelevant crap), the music choices were ridiculous and totally inappropriate (a David Bowie song in a WW2 film? Yeah, right), not to mention the way the music would just "chop off" at the end of a scene - very adroit. Brad Pitt's performance was abysmal and excruciating to watch, the dialogue was stilted and amateurish, as it is in all of Tarantino's films, and he employed all his usual infantile, cartoonish trademarks  – such as the animated, "chalk-drawn" arrow pointing to Hermann Goering as he entered the cinema. This crass, heavy-handed "director" makes Ed Wood look like Hitchcock.

And of course, there was his usual psychotic violence-for-violence-sake bloodlust showing through, as per normal. I get the feeling that if this guy wasn't getting it out of his system in films, he'd be out there doing it for real. He comes across as a borderline psychopath to me and quite honestly, I think he's a rather sick man, judging by his movie content and his "style".

That's the last of his schlocky, comic-booky films I'll ever insult my own intelligence with. I can't believe it got nominated for an Academy Award. Yet another of my suspicions confirmed – the Oscars are an absolute farce, if they consider celluloidal sceptic-tank scrapings like that to be worthy of a statuette.

I know some of you liked this film, and I don't dispute your right to like it, but I'm sorry - I detested every minute of it (as you've probably gathered). To me, Tarantino's films are just B-grade bile with big budgets, and everyone fawns all over him simply because they're told he's a great film maker. Sorry, I don't see it, but that's just my own subjectiveness, as is all of the above.

"Inglorious Basterds". I call it, "Ted Bundy Does History".

Art Blade

Hahahaha, refreshing review  ;D :-X

Although I like the film in a fashion, I think I understand what drives you. Simply put, it's not a history film. It's grotesque, comic-book style, violent where you don't need it, silly when you least expect it, overall inaccurate. Indeed, another Quentin Tarantino.

Due to the subject of this film, I call it disturbing. Playing around with a serious theme that way made my guts churn, yet I managed to see something in it: Basically I only focussed on the Jew Hunter and his performance, which I think was disturbingly great.

I think you're not far from the truth describing Q.T. as a psychopath who probably would do things he shouldn't if he weren't allowed to make films. There are a couple of film makers that deal with their psyche by living them on celluloid, take Woody Allen for example. To me, he's the one who makes me react like you do with Q.T.  ;D

fragger

I agree that the Jew Hunter's performance was excellent. In fact I found the opening scene to be quite rivetting and I was thinking, "Has Tarantino finally grown up?" But alas, he quickly resorted to his usual style. I never know whether to interpret his films as laughable dramas or unfunny comedies :-\

Art Blade

JRD

The best laugh I had in ages...

CLASSIC MOVIES IN 5 SECONDS

TITANIC

SHREK

THE MATRIX

STAR WARS ep IV

JRD

Art Blade

hehehe, amazing what kind of stuff there is on youtube. I liked Forrest, KillBill, and StarWars. Matrix and Titanic were a little too short, but I admit, it is kicking in only after I watched those, so Matrix in hindsight was funny, too  ;D

JRD

I think Titanic is the best of all... a single punch line  8)

- This ship can never sink
- Glubglubglubglub

The end

Muahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahxsuhsdufhrothqepotqwrgqwjf[i'kbnsgujr  ;D ;D ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳