movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

Yeah, NFS: Carbon is pretty much all about drifting. I quite enjoyed it and those films are fun too.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Internet now connected in the new place, so I can plague ye all with more stuff  ^-^

Haven't been able to do much more than watch films lately as a result. One outstanding film that cropped up was The Cabin in the Woods.

The title and trailer both scream 'teen slash-flick' that is until about half way through said trailer - like it says: "You think you know the story..."

It has to be one of the best homage films I've seen for a while, and it doesn't just stop at horror. It'll keep you guessing for quite some time as to what is going on.

Oh, and the stoner, he's by far the best character in it.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

looks like The Cube meets The 13th Floor with a tad of Severance ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

That's about the size of it...and there's some Ninth Gate and Wicker Man in there too... ;) and a certain South Park episode might be said to have had a bit of influence, maybe.

Art Blade

^-^ Wicker Man doesn't ring a bell here.. what's it like?

Fiach

Saw Rock of Ages and was really disappointed, so to wipe the taste from my mouth (ears?), I hit the attic for some VHS rock musical goodness.

Shock Treatment, based on a twon that lives as a series of TV shows.

Shock Treatment- Bitchin' In The Kitchen

Shock Treatment - Me of Me

Shock Treatment - Little Black Dress
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Fiach

Streets of Fire, rock singer gets kidnapped and her exboyfriend has to rescue from a rather young Willem Dafoe.

Streets Of Fire Theatrical Trailer

Fiach

PZ

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on October 17, 2012, 02:22:30 PM
^-^ Wicker Man doesn't ring a bell here.. what's it like?
It's a really old one with Christopher Lee doing a very odd dance in it. All pagan rites on a Western Scottish island where a firm jawed Edward Woodward as the Police Officer is sent to investigate. Full of highly experimental acting and quite cringe-worthy nowadays. They even remade it a few years ago.

Southern Comfort looks good Fiach - I'll have to give the other clips a look at too - nice one.

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on October 18, 2012, 11:31:25 AM

Southern Comfort looks good Fiach - I'll have to give the other clips a look at too - nice one.

Wicker Man....all I remember is some chick dancing naked and banging on a wall and some naked chick in a bath....probably says more about me than the movie I guess :)

SC is kinda like Deliverance, The National Guard go on manoeuvres in the Louisiana Swamps, but all they have is fake ammo (blanks). They get lost, so, to make up time, they steal some hillbilly boats. The hillbillys just make it to the shore in time to see the "soldiers" sailing off in their boats and one of the soldiers fires a hail of blanks at the hillbillys as a joke ......

Warriors is about a Convention of NY gangs, a guy tries to unite them all, to take on the cops, the guy gets assassinated and a gang called The Warriors gets blamed in error, so they have to run a gauntlet of different gangs as they make their way through each borrough in NY, to get to their turf in Cony Island.

The Wanderers is kinda like a tragi-comic version of The Warriors, probably Lemon Popsicle/Warriors mix, set in the 50's, mostly about the conflict between two gangs, the Wanderers (greasers) and The Baldys (erm ...baldys :)).

Natural Born Killers is about two americans called Micky and Mallory that go on a killing spree across the US, the story has probably been done before, but I dont think you will ever have seen a movie like this one, its like Tarantino on speed.

Art Blade

Thanks, Jim :)

I've got The Warriors because of the original 70's flavour (I like the funky music from that era which reminds me of the score by Isaac Hayes's Shaft and of course Rose Royce's theme of Car Wash, hehe, and I've got those two films, too)

I too got Natural Born Killers.. tough stuff, the original one. Not the soap opera stuff of today. :)

And I've got Deliverance which is one of my fave films, also proper 70's and man, the "duelling banjos" is the best piece of music in a film I can recall :) I'll never forget when it was first aired back in the day.. what a thriller  ^-^ Also, probably the best act of Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds and Ned Beatty that I can recall  :)

Fiach

God, they all look so young!

I'll never forget that scene with Burt raising his bow to kill the hillbilly, very iconic.
approx the 13 second mark :

deliverance purty mouth boy

Art Blade

Jim di Griz

Still haven't got around to checking the other clips - but Natural Born Killers is a solid favourite of mine  :-X Didn't even realise it was there...

Yeah, Wicker man was a lot of naked chicks which is pretty unbelieveable in Scotland, at any time of the year.

PZ

Fiach

Jim di Griz

Oddly enough, that very film is staring at me from the PlayStation Store screen...there again so is A very Harold and Kumar Christmas  ^-^

On a completely different note - for the zombie lovers, one we picked up cheap today Cockneys vs Zombies

COCKNEYS VS ZOMBIES-RED BAND TRAILER

I think the title gives it away that this won't be a serious film in the slightest. When on the back they describe the plot and the main characters' need to save their Grandad from hordes of 'undead nutters' it clinches the deal  :)

It's cheap, fun and manages to do the usual nods to all of the zombie films that have gone before it. I particularly liked the scene where a mob of Millwall and West Ham zombies clashed  :-()

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on November 08, 2012, 01:13:31 PM
Oddly enough, that very film is staring at me from the PlayStation Store screen...there again so is A very Harold and Kumar Christmas  ^-^

Is that H+K movie any good?I only saw HK in Guantanamo (sp?) and it was pretty funny :)

I got a new copy of Resident Evil 6 for €22 (RESULT! :)), so I'll play that instead of watching Cockneys vs Zombies I think :)

Jim di Griz

The new one? I've no idea yet - the second wasa lot of fun, as you say and the first even better.

Good price on the RE6.

Jim di Griz

Oh looky - okay the film isn't actually out yet but based on Mr Pitt's recent performances and on this trailer, I'm going to go all out and recommend it now.

World War Z - Official Trailer (HD)

I'll let you folks know what it's like on release.

Fiach

:-X Me likee!!!! Cant wait for that, I never heard of it, so thanks for the heads up :)

PZ

Those people look like ants!

PZ

The 1963 classic with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.  This is the hauntingly beautiful theme by Alex North

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWf68TKcGs&feature=related#ws

Tags:
🡱 🡳