movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Quote from: Fiach on June 04, 2011, 02:16:37 AM

Helen Mirren is awesome in everything, my first screen crush  8-X :o :-[

Got to agree with you there, and Princess Aura from the Flash Gordon film.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

Blood Diamond was on free-to-air late last night, and as I was in lazy blob-out mode I thought I'd watch it again, even though I usually won't watch movies on TV because of the commercials. But I'd forgotten just how riveting a film it was and put up with the mind-numbing ads to watch it. Superb if highly confronting movie, and while DiCaprio was excellent I thought Djimon Hounsou's performance was the show-stealer.

It certainly increased my motivation when I had a FC2 session the next morning...

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Quote from: fragger on July 10, 2011, 04:42:57 AM
Blood Diamond was on free-to-air late last night, and as I was in lazy blob-out mode I thought I'd watch it again, even though I usually won't watch movies on TV because of the commercials. But I'd forgotten just how riveting a film it was and put up with the mind-numbing ads to watch it. Superb if highly confronting movie, and while DiCaprio was excellent I thought Djimon Hounsou's performance was the show-stealer.

It certainly increased my motivation when I had a FC2 session the next morning...

Definately one of my favourite movies, DiCaprio was in fine form, with a great SA accent.

I think there was some scandal recently about some top models, I think Naomi Cambell was grassed up for receiving Blood Diamonds, yeah here it is :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/liberia/7927869/Naomi-Campbell-admits-she-was-given-blood-diamonds.html
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Yeah, I remember hearing about that. Shameful business.

RedRaven

Indeed an ace film. Leonardo DiCaprio seems to go from strength to strength with each new movie they do.
As does Matt Damon too.
As for Naomi Campbell, I'm pretty sure she was also once the subject of an incident with an animal rights activist who threw a bucket of blood on her due to Campbell's support of the fashion industry still using animal furs, though at the moment don't seem to be able to find the story about it.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

I remember that incident, too. She does seem to bring a lot of strife down on herself - something akin to foot-in-mouth disease ::)

Dunno if this one's been mentioned here already, but another Leo film I saw recently was Shutter Island. Well worth a look for those who enjoy a twisted tale, with DiCaprio in fine form :-X

Fiach

Quote from: fragger on July 13, 2011, 01:28:54 AM
I remember that incident, too. She does seem to bring a lot of strife down on herself - something akin to foot-in-mouth disease ::)

Dunno if this one's been mentioned here already, but another Leo film I saw recently was Shutter Island. Well worth a look for those who enjoy a twisted tale, with DiCaprio in fine form :-X

I really liked that movie! I think the only one of his movies I have never seen, is The Aviator, its supposed to be very good, but the subject matter didn't appeal to me.

Inception was pretty awesome to me, but alot of people hated it. I have it on Blueray and between watching the movie 3 times and devouring all the extras and commentaries, I have received hours of entertainment from that movie.

fragger

I think Aviator is worth a look if you like Leonardo. It's not what you'd call an exciting film, but not boring either, a well-made period piece featuring a quite revealing look at what Howard Hughes was really like - brilliant but mentally flawed. Cate Blanchett turns in quite a commendable performance as Katherine Hepburn.

Art Blade

the Aviator is just fine entertainment  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I liked the movie a lot as well. They manage to show you how a man is able to 'take over the world' just by being mad enough and hunt his dreams. The guy WAS mad indeed, how he locked himself up with tons of milk like that  :o
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

I liked Aviator a lot, great movie! Shutter Island, on the other hand, was very predictable imo... I knew what was going on since the beginning. The movie is very good nonetheless with nice direction and acting from DiCaprio and co.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

Not seen Aviator (at least can't recall it!) so will check it out.
Agree with JRD about Shutter Island, kind of expected more from Dicaprio and Scorsese, but it was well produced and really well shot.

Recently saw Transformers 3 - Dark side of the moon. Better than expected, great cast too on some of the robots. Wont spoil it here but if you want to know check out IMDB.

Another remake looming on the horizon for this year is 'The Thing' will hold my scorn and condemnation till I see it but initial thoughts are Oh bleeeep - not another bleeping remake!

Also Fiach mentions Inception, really liked that film, like a psychological Matrix. Adjustment Bureau was ok, but kept reminding me of Fringe.

Other recent film was The Tourist - basically 100 minutes of my life wasted that I will never get back.

Art Blade

the tourist (Johnny Depp) at least exuberantly demonstrated how to use that fancy electric cig  ;D

Fiach

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to buy Tourist on Blueray at the weekend, as I like Depp and Jolie.

Jolie's movie Salt, was pretty good, got it on BD awhile back, Basically she is a CIA operative, a KGB operative names her as a double agent, so she escapes to try to rectify the problem. It would have maybe been better with a male lead, as some of the fight sequences arent quite believeable with a female character, but I guess tbh, Jolie is the only real female "action" choice around.... not a bad thing imo :)

JRD

Quote from: Fiach on July 18, 2011, 10:34:43 AM
(...)she is a CIA operative, a KGB operative names her as a double agent, so she escapes to try to rectify the problem. It would have maybe been better with a male lead, as some of the fight sequences arent quite believeable with a female character, but I guess tbh, Jolie is the only real female "action" choice around.... not a bad thing imo :)

It`d be Jason Bourne all over again, maybe that`s why they picked a woman to be the main character.

On a related note, another movie with Jolie is WANTED

WARNING: AVOID THAT CRAP!

...or never say I didn`t warn you lot...  >:((

I saw that movie on a flight. Thanks god I didn`t rent it or saw in the movie theater... it is so full of crap, inexplicable events and lousy, over the top physics

Fiach

Loved it, especially the OTT stuff, they were supposed to be able to do OTT stuff due to their powers, guess its a love it or hate it movie, but it looks awesome on Blueray, especially the car chase at the start, awesome stuff (I think :)).

JRD

I admit that watching this movie on those little foldable screens on airplanes didn`t help in setting the mood for an action movie and the first few sequences are indeed good.

I got really bored after all explanations begins... you are the son of a very skilled assassin and we belong to an order that receive instructions through a loom from mysterious forces beyond our comprehension...  ????

Guess you are right: it`s a love it or hate it movie and I`m not on the love it side  ;)

Fiach

Quote from: JRD on July 18, 2011, 12:49:56 PM
... you are the son of a very skilled assassin and we belong to an order that receive instructions through a loom from mysterious forces beyond our comprehension...  ????

Well, thats the story up to a point, then the twists begin, just in case you didnt finish the movie :)

But, yes, I dont think its a great medium to watch a movie tbh :)

Art Blade

Quote from: Fiach on July 18, 2011, 10:34:43 AMI guess tbh, Jolie is the only real female "action" choice around.... not a bad thing imo :)

Hehe, I do like her in some films, too. For the film The Tourist, what do you reckon her salary was ($US)?

Spoiler

$20,000,000  ??? :D

By the way, impressive if bordering frightening biography. Takes probably more than half an hour to read it all  ???? :) Check it here. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001401/bio

RedRaven

The e-cigs Art Blade mentions are fantastic, got one myself, as have a few friends and relatives. So much better than real tobacco and cheaper too.

As for the film it came across as a lame spy film with none of the flair and humour of Bond or the dark and gritty realism of Bourne. 

Each to their own as regards Jolie. Personally never been keen on her, and there are a fair few actresses who get over-shadowed by her. Not that I dislike her, more a general disinterest.
Her current fella, Brad Pitt is another story altogether, excellent actor in many character roles and if you ever feel like a well told 3 hour long story I would recommend  'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' great example of a story turned into a great film, based on a short story by F.Scott Fitzgerald (going to track it down for a real compare and contrast).

Still waiting on Conan in late August, yet another remake but fingers, toes and big bloody swords crossed that its a good one.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on July 18, 2011, 02:47:53 PM
Still waiting on Conan in late August, yet another remake but fingers, toes and big bloody swords crossed that its a good one.

They'll never find another Arnie....  :-(

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on July 18, 2011, 02:10:16 PM
Quote from: Fiach on July 18, 2011, 10:34:43 AMI guess tbh, Jolie is the only real female "action" choice around.... not a bad thing imo :)

Hehe, I do like her in some films, too. For the film The Tourist, what do you reckon her salary was ($US)?

$20,000,000  ??? :D

By the way, impressive if bordering frightening biography. Takes probably more than half an hour to read it all  ???? :) Check it here. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001401/bio

According to her bio, 7 mill of that fee went to charity :)

Art Blade

indeed :)  and again: impressive if bordering frightening.  :-D

RedRaven

$7 million to charity is great, good on her. But all these $15-$20 million per movie pay-checks along with movie's grossing higher and higher incomes seems to contradict the studio exec's cries of internet downloads killing the industry.

There is also still a big difference between the salaries of Actors and Actresses, think this shows 2010 figures - http://www.expensivepoint.com/entertainment/celebrity/highest-earning-celebrities-in-hollywood/

I'm no economist but I reckon if you looked back  at the earnings, costs and profits of 20 and 50 years ago compared today, even after taking into account the rate of inflation and such they are making more now than ever. Add to that the increasing popularity and quality of 3D film, which most people will not have as household tech for a few years and they are still raking it in. Lets face it, you cant download a 3D cam version of a film as it just will not w@&k!

What would be very enlightening is to actors real thoughts and opinions on such subjects but no doubt there are many, many legalities and contract clauses that do not allow them to be frank and honest to the public. I could be very wrong but it would still be good to hear it from them not agents, lawyers and studio exec's.

Some of the most enjoyable or interesting films I've seen have been very low budget when compared to most block-busters. Or have been made by independent or 'foreign' (non Hollywood) studios and directors.
In some cases this opens the doors for those involved to the top end of the industry and they bring a breath of fresh air with them.

Thats enough for now ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳