movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Sounds good, mate, will keep an eye out for it :-X Matt Damon's a cool actor.

On the subject of political thrillers, I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I saw the first ten minutes of a film on TV some years ago when it came on at a friend's house just as I was leaving and I can't remember the title, but it looked quite intriguing. The only actor I can remember being in it was Nicole Kidman as some sort of American government official or something. In one of the scenes I saw, some Russian special forces types are on a troop train in Russia at night. They wipe out all the soldiers on board while they're asleep, then rig the train with a nuke which they later set off. At the time I thought it looked like a very interesting film and that I'd like to see it all, but of course I've since forgotten the flipping name of it. Does anyone know what this movie may be called, by any chance?

JRD

May be The Interpreter

Its old enough to be on TV now. I saw the movie and it`s quite good... can`t remember anything about it though  ::)

The scene you described seem familiar but I can`t tie it to a specific movie
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Isn't it amazing? I've been racking my brain on and off for about a month trying to remember that movie's title, and as soon as I ask, it comes to me - The Peacemaker :D

But hey, thanks for the suggestion, JRD. The Interpreter is another film I've wanted to see but haven't gotten around to. You've given me another movie idea to look for at the DVD rental next time :-X

JRD

Hehehe... as soon as you stop thinking about it, it hits you! Our brain works in mysterious ways!  :-()

Now I too have good suggestions of movies to entertain me during rainy weekends!

Art Blade

good reads and recommendations, guys.

Fragger? I think you were looking for "The Peacemaker."

Spoiler
LOL  ;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Just came back from the movie theater.

I was going to the gym when a friend asked me if I wanted to join him and his girlfriend at the movies this wednesday for half price. Since it was to see a movie I was wanting to see and today was the last day showing, I imediately said yes!

INCEPTION

Man, I'm so happy I saw this movie on a big screen... the movie is FANTASTIC!

I remember when I saw Matrix on the cinema with my then girlfriend. I was really impressed with the story and walked out of the movies looking around me and thinking "is this true or the Matrix?". Well... INCEPTION had the same effect... I walked out of the movies today looking around me to make sure it was all real!

A great, great plot, nice actors, a great direction (Christopher Nolan from the last two Batman movies).

Guys... if you still have time to see it... do it! 8)

Art Blade

just checked it on IMDB, looks great  :-X

JRD

It is... I went to bed yesterday thinking about the movie and woke up today also thinking about it!  8)

You know when you sleep for a short time, like an hour or so, and you dream that lots of thing happened? They explore that concept of time being stretched when you dream very well!

To say more would spoil the movie, hence...

Spoiler
There are dreams within a dream.

In the first level dream, they sleep and go to another (2nd) level of dreaming (a dream within a dream). They are in a van in the first level and it falls off a bridge, in the second level, they are doing things for days in the time it takes for the van to hit the water. A great deal of the movie takes place in those few seconds between the van going off the bridge and hitting the water... and the special effects are outstanding

PZ

Thanks for the spoiler, JRD - I always like to know about things in advance, that goes for movies, games, just about everything.  :-X

mandru

Quote from: JRD on September 02, 2010, 02:01:36 AM
You know when you sleep for a short time, like an hour or so, and you dream that lots of thing happened?

I saw a study about how subjective personal time is perceived.  Sometimes time seems to go fast and sometimes it crawls, right?  It works out that is more true than previously realized.

The testing consisted of a digital read out that cycled between three different random 2 digit numbers, so fast, that normally a person viewing it would only see a blur of the number 88 (where all of the LED elements are engaged).  The test subject was outfitted in something like a parachute harness with a clip ring at their center of gravity as they were suspended 100 feet over a pressurized air bag that would safely absorb their fall.

As the test subject was suspended and ready to drop (the poor guy was scared out of his wits), they verified that he could not read the three random numbers so adrenaline did not directly play into his subjective perception of time dilation.  The drop came, he landed safely and he was immediately asked what were the three numbers and he had successfully read them off the readout getting all three numbers correct.  From the test subject's recollection he had time to read them several times, that is after his initial scream at the point of drop and he remembered what he was supposed to be doing wanting to avoid having to go through it again.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

That reminds me of an early coke "ad":

QuoteIn 1957, market researcher James Vicary claimed that quickly flashing messages on a movie screen, in Fort Lee, New Jersey, had influenced people to purchase more food and drinks. Vicary coined the term subliminal advertising  and formed the Subliminal Projection Company based on a six-week test. Vicary claimed that during the presentation of the movie Picnic he used a tachistoscope to project the words "Drink Coca-Cola" and "Hungry? Eat popcorn" for 1/3000 of a second at five-second intervals. Vicary asserted that during the test, sales of popcorn and Coke in that New Jersey theater increased 57.8% and 18.1% respectively

But

QuoteSubsequent scientific research, however, has been unable to replicate most of these marketing claims beyond a mere placebo effect.

quote source: Wiki

:)

JRD

Perception of time is something extremely subjective indeed and must be something scientists cannot properly explain. I for one find myself struggling against boredom at the office sometimes and also, when running and listening to a nice selection of music I like on my iPod I can barely feel one hour has passed!  :-D

I remember dreaming I was somewhere at sea and helicopters would come near me carrying large containers hanging from a cable and they would drop the container close to me and I could listen to the loud thud it made when hitting the water. Turns out I was working on a ship and every 10 seconds we had a pressurized airgun in the water firing. Since we were in shallow water at night, the gun shot was reverberating the whole ship and one could actually hear the boom, but only the last couple shots before we turn and head back to deep water. The thing is, in my dream I could see the container being dropped from the helo and coming all the way down untill it hit the water, but the time during which my brain was actually processing the real thud was just a split second!

DKM2

Not really a movie, but ROME by HBO was really good.
When I got my tax refund, I picked up the complete (season 1&2) on Bluray.

The wife and I have watched it 4 times already in the last 4 months.

Definitely R rated though.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

I've got both seasons or parts of Rome, too -- it is great :)

JRD, nice post about your dream sequence :)

mmosu

I just watched Zombieland and really liked it  :-X
I love zombie movies anyway but this is actually one of the best I've ever seen with it's gross-out splat-fest moments and dry, awkward, ironic sense of humor.  It had me laughing out loud at several points and is really just as much a comedy as it is a zombie flick.  Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson make a really good odd couple, and Bill Murray does one of the strangest cameos I've ever seen.  Plus the main character is from my home town of Columbus Ohio, so that hooked me in too  :-()  If you like zombie movies at all I highly recommend!   

Fiach

Inception is very good, also The Town, I enjoyed that too.

If you like rugby, I really recommend Invictus. :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

I need to see Inception, thanks for reminding me.. :-X

going to fetch a copy at my local vendor on Monday, I just saw that it's out on BlueRay here and I hope that they've got it on DVD as well :)

mandru

I just bought How to Train Your Dragon.

Yes it is computer graphics generated and was made for kids but I still added it to my collection as I want to reward production companies that create decent wholesome family entertainment (that doesn't suck) and don't care what anyone else thinks.

I liked it.  Anyone who doesn't dig that can talk to the knuckles.   >:((  (  ;)  >:D )
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

RedRaven

Finally got round to watching Inception last night, really enjoyed it, well put together. Good acting and direction.

Worth seeing it Art when you get chance.

Also watched remake of Karate kid and really enjoyed that too, much better and a whole lot less cheesy than the original.

Really really itching to see the new Tron film soon too.....
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

Art, the Blue Ray version is awesome, it has the movie as Blue Ray, it has a DVD version and a version you can download to your PC and watch on that as well.

Trying to get the missus to take me to Tron maybe tomorrow :)

Art Blade

cheers, guys :)

Wow, TRON2! Oh man, I remember the day when I was at the cinema back then for the first one - what a blast it was! I got that one on DVD.. I think it is still nice :)

Mandru.. "Anyone who doesn't dig that can talk to the knuckles"  ^+-+ :-X

Fiach

Saw Unstoppable, I think it was really rubbish, I was surprised Denzel was associated with this movie. Basically a train loses its driver and has a deadly cargo, some really asinine back story for the two lead characters, so there would be someone to "cut to" for dramatic reaction to their heroism.

if you want to see a good runaway train movie, I recommend Runaway Train, Jon Voight and Eric Roberts, two escaped convicts on a train, when the driver has a heart attack and they are left to fend for themselves on the train.

RedRaven

Saw a trailer for Unstoppable, looked like the same sort of premise as Speed, which was not that good either apart from Sandra Bullock.

Still watching my weekly doses of Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoons, about half way through season 3 now ;D

Back to Tron - a game has also0 come out, Tron Evolution. It bridges the story gap between films. Still need to get a copy so will let you all know what its like soon as I do.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳