Mortar experiences

Started by Cerpin Daiyokai, May 08, 2009, 08:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

The mortar is really not so bad after practicing a lot. Which means, reliability and unlimited ammo cheats are essential if you don't want to practice right next to the armoury all the time  ;D

Best if you can find a bottleneck sort of path when waiting for a convoy. Prepare with a yellow tracer so you get the distance right, don't forget to switch to explosive rounds, and wait until you hear the convoy getting close... I took out two convoys and a couple of guard posts now. Kind of developing a feeling of how much on the scale you need to get the distance right. Once you're quite familiar with that, it's turning into fun, really  :)

[smg id=2004 align=center width=400]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Art Blade

A couple of notes on the mortar:

Apparently, the yellow tracer doesn't always show the precise spot where the explosive will hit. I overshot a couple of times with the tracer, then got it right, but the explosive landed a couple of feet short of the target. That means, the explosive doesn't seem to fly as far as the tracer. Maybe 12 steps for the tracer per notch, and probably 11 for the explosive.

The explosive doesn't always go exactly straight. More than once it deviated a little to the side, looks like it has a tendency towards left

Careful with invisible walls in the sky. The game engine (map design) uses some of them, you'll notice when the tracer bounces off of thin air... some areas w@&k great, others don't.

Please let us know what your experiences are, can you confirm above observations?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Been playing some more. I thought it might be interesting for you to see what seven notches look like (how amazingly far that is). In the pic I am near Sefapane. Behind me and to the left, is the safehouse, in front of me the outer guard post near the passage to Leboa, to the right Sefapane. I had already taken out the GP, but there was a Liberty still waiting for someone to take pity on it...

[smg id=2005 align=center width=400]
[smg id=2006 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

I was just checking the gallery and found those mortar pics. It was simple to find this topic because my pics almost always have a description with a hyperlink to the topics they were used in :)

Has no one ever bothered to play some more with mortars?

How about our FC2 expert, mandru.. anything to say? :)

fragger

You just reminded me - I tried a trick of mandru's the other day. He mentioned the island with a bench on it just to the north-west of where the mortar guy hangs out in the lake in Bowa (I can't remember where mandru's original post is). He's right, it's a perfect spot to nail the mortar guy from. With the aid of the dart gun I took him out, along with the patrolling swamp boats, then commandeered a boat, went to the mortar guy's island, picked up his mortar and used it on the Brewery preparatory to rescuing the locked-up buddy therein. After lobbing my three mortar rounds in, I went ashore and found only two mercs still standing. There were about half a dozen bodies all around the kilns where one of my mortar rounds must have landed. I think that's the best hit rate I've ever had with that weapon :-X

PZ

The mortar is a real challenge - one I've never mastered  ;)

However, I'm nor fearful of the brewery area any longer; stealth works relatively well (I've freed the buddy without firing a shot), and my usual method is to hijack a GL swamp boat to devastate the shoreline.

Normally I start at the GP on the western edge of Lake Segolo (the one just to the east of the safe house) and take a shot toward the lake - inevitably a GL boat shows and it is easy to take it from those merc children.  ;D

mandru

Sorry guys, I couldn't hit Mbantue in the backside with a mortar round if I caught him in the open, sneaked up behind him and fired a round from between his feet.  :'(

I've never really been able to get the mortar to w@&k well for me.  All I've ever been able to succeed at with it is letting every merc in the area know exactly where I am.   ???

I've played with it a couple times but have given up on it quickly because I have so much better accuracy with an M79 GL of even a GLAT.  I don't even right click to aim those anymore.  I just set the target in the middle of the screen, eyeball the distance, adjust for ballistics's drop, shoot from the hip and trust to Kentucky windage.

I'll have to give the mortar another serious try and stick with it a bit longer like my current experiments with the USAS12 Full Auto-Shotty which was brought on because on another thread here at OWG I'd had to admit that I'd never given that weapon a fair shake or serious assessment.  I'm quite enjoying it while I'm engaged in rampage mode even though there's no way around the fact that it's a shot accuracy killer.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

thanks for all your quick input, guys :)

If anyone has trouble with the mortar, I suggest you read back in this topic and check my experiments and results, should give you a better understanding of that "heat pipe"  ;) I know it's a devil but at least if you're on a PC, consider those cheats that keep the weapon from melting away in your hands after three shots and use the unlimited ammo cheat. Maybe ignore_player and godmode.. and zombie mode.. LOL, not ALL of them, but you know what I mean. As for accuracy.. I think it's enough if you played FC2 through one time with best possible stats and then, guys, forget about accuracy stats. Man, have some FUN! Keep shooting at everything with everything you've got! You all know you could do better and probably have done better, so why the hell not play some game  and try silly things. As long as you get the job done and the playthrough finished, no one cares and knows about your stats, unless you proudly publish them as did D_B with an astounding 7% and over 120,000 shots in only 15 hours. That's the spirit  :-X  :)

mandru

I actually did go back over this entire thread before my last post above.

With the thought of what haven't I tried with the mortar, pinging the rafters and walls while inside an aircraft hangar put a grin on my face that made my wife ask me this morning, "What are you up to?"
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

HAHAHAHA ;D :-X

OK, in other words, if anyone can help improve the sort of tutorial I tried to cobble together here, please post away.

I admit that after posting my experiences and tests I never touched the mortar much because as mandru said the M79 or GLAT (and MGL) are easier to handle. However, I want to be able to use that bloody mortar and hit something, I did it already, I will do it again. By the way, nice one, fragger.. blowing up that brewery with a mortar  :) :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳