ARMA & ARMA2

Started by RedRaven, May 04, 2009, 07:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I'm waiting for FUEL on PC to be out, plus I'm playing GTA IV and FC2 which should fill my gaming hours till DR hit the shelves in september (if they don't delay it again). So, ARMA2 would be too much now. I'm thinking about buying this game though, but maybe next year.
But keep us informed about how it plays for you, maybe I change my mind  ;D. Besides its always good to have a member doing research with other titles... eventually it might get a room at OWG.
If you like, you can post pics or vids of your gameplay and share your experience... that'd be cool :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I'll echo that sentiment - when a game shows enough interest, we'll add the set of rooms and find a moderator from within our senior members group.  One of the perks of being one of the "old-timers"  (no offense, Gord  ;D)

gvse

Here are some screenshots for you. You can find many stunning and photo-realistic pictures on the intwerwebs, but this is just to show you what a mid-range system (quad core 2.4, 8800GT, 4gig ram) can pull off.
I am happy to report that after patch 1.1 things are a bit smoother now and after messing with some settings I have got a rather good-looking game and playable fps (25-40, and 30 on average).
The actual game looks better than on these shots for whatever reason (and I apologize if these snaps are too big!)
Water (dawn/sniper):
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Land (dawn/sniper):

plus:

Sniping:

Day/marine:

Sights:

and:

Smoke:

and:

nice shadow:

Nightvision:

Specnaz:

RedRaven

oh hell yes....
it just looks so damned good...
got my weekend planned - fill fridge with food, lock all doors & windows and wage some WAR.

that is unless they post on the site thursday night its delayed. if they do will prob spend all weekend crying, sulking and killing things on FC2.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

nice screenies... just a tad big perhaps... but you said they might be, already  ;)

"Mid range PC" sniffing at the mark of high end, eh  ;D

What I find amusing is lense flares. as if you'd watch yourself through a camera. It was cool back in the day of 3dfx, when you needed a seperate graphic accelerator card, but today it's a little strange. In general, it looks good, I reckon it's really good if all gfx details are maxed out.

Interesting overall, makes me wonder if I might buy it some time :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Oh boy... those pics look great  :(
Now I'm seriously considering Arma 2 soon on my budget  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

gvse

I agree that the game looks nice now, though in my opinion it's a strange mix of beautiful and ugly at the settings I can play it. As I wrote before, some screens you can find out there look just amazing, lifelike even!

BI forums say that a demo should be out by today so you might want to check it out first before splashing out as the game can be a b..ch, given the difficulty. Often I'm just like, "Gee, why am I dead again?!" and more often than not I keep creeping up only to be taken out within first seconds of a firefight. I still stand by my opinion that the campaign is chaotic and it can get tedious too, but single missions are allright. I guess the game is beginning to grow on me, but I still have not completed one single mission!
So there you go, definitely get a demo to find out if this style of gameplay suits you since, as you can see, I cannot form a definite opinion yet :)

RedRaven

beautifully ugly (sounds like a real warzone)
will defo get demo tho. cheers for heads up.
really enjoy challenging games,  getting loads of enjoyment playing FC2 at infamous level with just a pistol. getting shot loads too tho :-\ ;D :P
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

gvse

Another update.
The editor! I heard it's good but only after reading some basic tips how to create a mission did I start using it, and boy it's easy and powerful! You can have a skirmish ready in 5 minutes, and you control everything: time of day, weather, number of teammates and opponents, their skill, class, etc. The AI is very good and very aggressive so it's always challenging to fight them.
I got myself a special forces team, all with silent weapons, nightvision, smoke nades, etc and we attacked a village, and naturally I got beaten comprehensively. It's a damn difficult game; that doesn't change, but the available options are staggering! (As you can see, I am beginning to enjoy it despite being unable complete a mission I design. Urghh)

PZ

Just so I know I am understanding correctly - you can create missions for single player?  Man, I've wished that for FC2 so many times... imagine how long the game play would be extended if we could create a user bank of download-able SP missions.

spaceboy

sounds great gvse.  I like games like that, when even if I get my hat handed to me in battle, you can still enjoy the experience.  Thanks for the update.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

it is really going to be something I might try myself. Hmmm. I think that there's always some cheat if things get really nasty  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed - I use a few cheats on Call of duty 5 to make it much more enjoyable.   :-X

RedRaven

you can get it already i think Art (pretty sure its out in your land already) should have it myself in few days, just as well with delay after delay with Fuel and CoJ (watched fist full of dollars other night ;D )

Art Blade

I'm not 100% sure I'm really going to buy it, but... who knows :) If I'm in the game shop next time and it happens to be right in front of me... why not :)

PZ

Quote from: dke58 on June 18, 2009, 09:00:57 PM
...watched fist full of dollars other night ;D ...
Talk about setting the stage for Call of Juarez...  ;)

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on June 18, 2009, 09:03:21 PMbut... who knows :) If I'm in the game shop next time and it happens to be right in front of me... why not :)

LoL thats exactly how FC2 got me, the song used on tv ad 1st got my attention, then every time went shopping would pick it then put it down on shop shelf, after about 6 weeks it didnt get back to the shelf.... ;)

its defo worth looking at some of the trailers for ArmA2 tho, the graphic quality is really really good (reckon to get that in gameplay you need top of the range tech tho!)

RedRaven

RE - fist full of dollars :-
made me want to change my name in the forum!

going to have a Clint session i reckon, westerns AND kellys heros - cant go wrong ;D ;)

Art Blade

Quote from: dke58 on June 18, 2009, 10:09:11 PMmade me want to change my name in the forum!

you can. Go to your profile, change your forum-name (needs password to enter into force)  ;)

RedRaven

The Man With No Name  is a bit long tho, will save it for something else. just discovered there's a 3rd episode in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games coming out (Call Of Pripyat)
due out 29th January 2010, it will have free-play after the story is completed too 8)   couple of screen shots are juicy too!

gvse

Quote from: PZ on June 18, 2009, 05:53:10 PM
Just so I know I am understanding correctly - you can create missions for single player?  Man, I've wished that for FC2 so many times... imagine how long the game play would be extended if we could create a user bank of download-able SP missions.

Yes, you can create missions for single player as well as for coop and multi! That's why I mentioned AI being really up to scratch.
As for cheats: actually I use a script to get a truck full of ALL weapons, so I can pick and choose whatever I want. I pick my fave mp5sd for close quarters, but its ironsights view is so different from FC2. Checked wiki for this gun and it turns out Arma2 got it right. It's unbelievably silent too. If you like stealth approach and have loads of patience you are realy going to like A2.
In your profile you can decide on the difficulty level and you can even choose auto aim. Being a noob to this game, I went for auto aim, and actually once you switch to ironsights view it turns itself off so it's kinda cool: you decide when to use this "cheat."
I agree, if you could put AI into FC2 editor the game would be bloody amazing.

RedRaven

think its in the trailer for OFP where the guy just walks up behind a sentry and pops couple of shells in the back of his skull, he does that with silent MP5, it barely louder than a whisper.

Art Blade

installing ArmA2 right now  ;D

gvse

Quote from: Art Blade on June 19, 2009, 02:29:47 AM
installing ArmA2 right now  ;D

You might hate it at first ;) Do not forget to patch it to the latest build (1.1 if I remember correctly) unless your retail version is already the latest build. If you want my video settings just give me a shout.
Let us know what you think, ok?

gvse

Quote from: dke58 on June 19, 2009, 12:23:09 AM
think its in the trailer for OFP where the guy just walks up behind a sentry and pops couple of shells in the back of his skull, he does that with silent MP5, it barely louder than a whisper.

Right you are. It's a very cinematic moment. I must say that in Arma2 ironsights view of mp5 is more difficult to get used to than in FC2 or COD4 as more view is obstructed on the sides by the aiming mechanism (sorry, I do not know the correct terminology involved here).
One drawback of the game is that it is still very difficult to spot the enemy, and they all have no difficulty figuring out where I am and landing perfect shots :(

Tags:
🡱 🡳