Weapon changes

Started by grenada, May 02, 2009, 11:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenada

When I first heard the Jackal Tapes, specificly the one about where he got his guns from, I started looking up when the ingame weapons came into and out of official service. Then I noticed something. Besides the well known fact that the guns in the game are mirrored, many of the clip sizes are changed. The two I found were the MGL and the USAS.
   IRL, the MGL holds 6 rounds. In game, it holds 4. Also, the USAS IRL uses either a 10 round box mag, or a 20 round drum mag.
   Also, the MK-19 is fully automatic in real life, but it was pulled back to semi-auto in game. Has anyone else found things like these?

Art Blade

Out of interest (for reasons unknown) I checked the hand grenade M-67 on Wiki. I am glad the thing isn't as brutal as in real life.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 02, 2009, 12:40:15 PM
Out of interest (for reasons unknown) I checked the hand grenade M-67 on Wiki. I am glad the thing isn't as brutal as in real life.

Seriously? I think grenades in FC2 are the best I've seen in a FPS... (although I don't play all FPS, just a few). Grenades in OFP1 and Ghost Recon were almost useless... and in Crysis they don't do much damage too, enemies must be on top of it to be killed... In FC2 I can kill mercs from a relatively big distance (a few meters, I mean) with grenades.

Quote from: grenada on May 02, 2009, 11:55:10 AM
   Also, the MK-19 is fully automatic in real life, but it was pulled back to semi-auto in game. Has anyone else found things like these?

Which one is the MK-19? And if I may ask a dumb question... what's the difference between an automatic and semi-automatic weapons in real life?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

There are no dumb questions, although there are plenty of dumb answers, heres one of them 

Semi is where you pull the trigger, the bullet fires, the cart is ejected and a new round enters the breech, to fire the next round the trigger must be pulled again etc.

Auto is where you pull the trigger and the gun keeps firing until the trigger is released ot the magazine empties.

For the sake of complete and utter pedantry there are a couple of other firing modes available for guns :

Double action gun (usually a revolver). As you pull the trigger, the hammer is pushed back, the cylinder rotates to bring a round in line with the barrel, the trigger then releases the hammer which falls against the firing pin, which then fires the round. Sounds more complicated then it is.

Single action gun (usually the kind of revolver you see in cowboy movies). You must pull the hammer back manually until it locks to the rear. As the hammer goes back the cylinder rotates to bring a round in line with the barrel. Then you pull the trigger, releasing the hammer, which fires the gun. You may have noticed in cowboy movies, where the shooter fans the hammer back with one hand and pulls the trigger with the hand holding the gun.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

grenada

The MK-19 is the grenade launcher on trucks driving around, and on tripods on the barge mission. It shoots 40mm grenades

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on May 02, 2009, 01:13:23 PM
Quote from: Art Blade on May 02, 2009, 12:40:15 PM
I am glad the thing isn't as brutal as in real life.

Seriously? I think grenades in FC2 are the best I've seen in a FPS...

the M-67 is great, perhaps really the best so far in FPS. Yet in real life, that thing spreads shrapnel 700ft / 210m around, melting into your skin... yikes  :'(

if you like, see wiki
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Have you ever seen a rocket in action? I mean, we all know what they look like when we reload a RL. Looks like a dart with an oversized inflated tip. Now, when it is shot high in the air and the fuel runs out, you hear it go "bang" (not very loud) and then you hear it whistle down until it explodes on impact. I think that bang strips the rocket of the big inflated head. What remains looks like it was upside down, strange because gravity should let the bigger, heavier end go down first...

[smg id=266]

I shot straight into the sky, and took the pic moments before my own rocket blew me up. The thing in the middle is my rocket (fascinating how different it looks compared with the ammo you stuff your RL with). To the left a fly, attacking me.

PZ

Cool experiment Art,
Man, that fly looks big enough to shoot!

Art Blade

ta  :)

The fly was like 100ft away and big as a pillow.

spaceboy

interesting thing about the rocket, but I can't stop laughing about the fly:  a) that it's in your screen shot  and b) that you circled it and labeled it.    Now, shoot the wings off the fly.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Quote from: spaceboy on May 03, 2009, 05:59:33 PM
   Now, shoot the wings off the fly.

LOL, great movie, rubbish game  ;D
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

damn, good find... I completely missed that reference  :-X

RedRaven

A really big difference to the Real-Life versions of most of the weapons is Fire mode.
AR16 >  Single, 3 round burst and full auto
G3-KA4 > single and full auto but only 20 round mag
FAL >  Single, 3 round burst and full auto
AK47 > single and full auto 
MP5 > Single, 3 round burst and full auto
MAC10 > single and full auto and 32 round clip
UZI > single and full auto

where as in FC2 all are just full auto except AR16 which is short bursts.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

An interesting thing I discovered this morning while on PC - was able to do single-shot head kills using the Uzi.

Art Blade

true, I did that when I cared about my accuracy. Now I don't any more  ;D

RedRaven

cool, not used Uzi yet, will check it out.
my earlier post was not in any way a complaint, i actually like the way many things have been simplified in FC2, more about the feel of something than its actual reality. really do like the limited choice of weapons compared to most games.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Don't worry, it didn't look like you were complaining. I think of it simply as an information :)

KillerZ

Does a cost of a weapon in the game reflect on its effectiveness in battle?  For example, which secondary weapon is better, the uzi or the eagle .50?  Granted one is a handgun and one is a SMG, but in terms of killing power in the game which do you prefer?

JRD

As a general rule... weapons available at Bowa are more powerfull than those available in the beginning of the game.
I like both UZI and the Desert Eagle .50 a lot
If you check the weapon stats, you'll see that the .50 is a bit more powerful than the UZI but, as you mentioned, its a pistol and therefore, less fire rate.
We know it takes a few shots (or lots of) to bring a merc down, so, unless you can land a nice headshot, the UZI will be more efficient to kill mercs.
It also has a fire rate intermediate if compared with the Mac 10, which chew on ammo, so you don't run out of bullets too fast... but the .50 look mean  ;)
Both weapons and the M-79 are my favourite secondary  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

JRD gives good advice and here is what I can add. 

For me, the effectiveness of the weapon is related to what you intend to do in the game so it is a delicate balancing act when it comes to choosing - depends on what you want to do.  For instance, when I want to target flammables at guard posts, I'll grab the AS50 (or Dragunov if not in Bowa yet).  As to secondary, because the AS50 is slow to reload, I'll take a Uzi which seems to have better stopping power than the Mac10.  If using the Dragunov (which has high rate of fire and low recoil) I feel comfortable with the 6P9.  I always carry the dart for long distance softening of an area.

Another favorite load out is using the MP5 - can use it to silently torch flammables and has a high rate of fire.  When using that, I'll almost always have the 6P9 as secondary.

Why use the silent MP5 you ask when there are more powerful weapons?  Because I never run out of ammo - just about every merc in FC2 carries MP5 and 6P9 ammo, and I never need to find ammo piles.  That's the down side of the snipers - you need to find ammo.

My overall favorite weapon is the 6P9 - but only on the console.  The consoles have an auto aim feature (probably because aiming is so difficult on the consoles relative to the PC).  9 times out of 10 I can score head shots on targets so far away you can hardly see them because all you need do is place the aim point above the head, press the iron sights key, and the gun snaps to the head - even more margin for error if you have purchased the accuracy upgrade.  So accurate in fact that I can't even see the head on the far shots, but a single bullet still does the trick.

RedRaven

yeah, i mostly agree with all of that. moslty i've always got either Dart Rifle and or M1903 often both, secondary weapon is usually M79 of Flare gun, the one not in use is in safe house weapons crate.
To comment PZ and why he uses MP5 alot i really understand that , a weapons effectivness is not just about stopping power!
(or why would so many special forces units use MP5 ?)
it about praticality and reliabilty, of which MP5 has loads.
The problems i face by using snipers all the time is the limit to field of view and so useless at close range, and specially in south where safe houses often have more than 2-3 mercs tend to do alot of sat watching for along time from as far away as possible behind cover, but every no and then one lucky little merc gets too close for comfort, but thats when the blade comes out and i just charge in to finish them off ;D

Art Blade

I never actually payed attention to that, KillerZ. During my first through I tried to do everything to get every weapon, and later all upgrades. Later (from my second through on) I cheated and had more than enough diamonds to buy anything as soon as it was available. In summary, I know all the weapons, and if I had to choose, I'd not buy either one of those, uzi and deagle, because the uzi is so slow and not very accurate and doesn't go too far and is loud... the deagle looks cool but is very slow and you can't aim it so well and it's damn loud. Loud means, it will get you in trouble. Like PZ, I think my favourite loadout is MP5 plus 6P9 plus Dart. The 6P9 on the PC is extremely accurate and incredibly ranged. I too have killed enemies with head shots, despite of the fact that they were so far away that their heads were the size of one pixle. And it is fast both firing and reloading. The MP5, if you have trained with it, is a very precise weapon that lets you kill up to 5 or even 6 mercs with one mag. Reload takes a little, firepower is not so strong, but no head can resist a round of it ;) I recommend you try the weapon of your choice, and if it doesn't play out well, reload and buy the other one. I'd also recommend you regard the first playthrough as an experiment. The second will be much smoother, you'll know what to do different and you can limit your expenses to weapons you know you'll really use a lot. Enjoy :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳