No Man's Sky - Screen captures

Started by PZ, August 17, 2016, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Okay - off to my first new system of this game! 4 planets and one moon in this one. I made a big jump, about seven stars along the path to the Galactic Core. Why not - I have no intention of going back to my start system, and for all I know I could be very many, many light-years from the centre.

The first planet I'm exploring has a good climate, no toxicity but a little chilly at night. Time to break out the thermal under-duds.
[smg id=9140 align=center width=600]

This world has some spectacular vistas, lots of huge natural archways, overhangs, and very deep ravines and canyons. It's a rugged landscape.
[smg id=9141 align=center width=600]

He looks big and mean, but he's tame. I fed him and now we're mates.
[smg id=9142 align=center width=600]

Room with a view.
[smg id=9143 align=center width=600]

This craft is very Battlestar Galactica, I quite like it. But I'm not giving up the Goose for it.
[smg id=9144 align=center width=600]

Having a 2001 moment.
[smg id=9145 align=center width=600]

Dweller_Benthos

Fragger, if you select a star in the map, it will tell you how many light years to the center. If you're still on the first jump, about 175,000 or so usually.

Made my first jump to a new system as well. Stopped at the station and did some trading to get an idea of the prices, and they are pretty much the same as the last station for dynamic resonators, so that's still the trade good of choice to make money. I had to buy some stuff to finish making some upgrades, then off to the first world. From space, it had pink & blue landforms, and as I descended, I noticed a building pop into view so I headed for it. It was in one of the pink areas. Once the land started to pop in, I was getting close when the water popped in and I found that the building was deep under water, the pink areas are oceans and the blue are land.

Blue sky, blue grass

[smg id=9146 type=preview align=center]

A pleasant place, fair weather, relaxed sentinels, abundant flora & fauna to scan. Only thing, some of the animals are aggressive and apparently acrobats, as they can still attack you while you're standing on top of your ship. So from now on, I shoot to kill when I see one of those. No more Mr Nice Space Man.

[smg id=9147 type=preview align=center]

This is a friendly guy, kinda two legged horse thing. Thing is, if you make friends with any of them, they find you stuff then you have to hunt for it in the tall grass, before it rolls downhill into the ocean.

[smg id=9148 type=preview align=center]

Speaking of ocean..... FISH!

[smg id=9149 type=preview align=center]

There's also a bigger mammal-like water creature and a really big shark like thing that I haven't scanned yet. I saw him when I was using the low fly mod to fly underwater and look around, but you obviously can't land when you're doing that.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Nice to find a lush, verdant world once in a while. Good climate and clean air here, though a little cool at night. Pleasant place to wander around in - so far. I've found five out of nine species of animal and they've all been docile, but that's no guarantee that it's a totally safe place. On an earlier planet I'd found nine out of ten animals and they were all docile too - but the tenth one tried to take my head off.

[smg id=9158 align=center width=600]

[smg id=9159 align=center width=600]

[smg id=9160 align=center width=600]

[smg id=9161 align=center width=600]

Dweller_Benthos

Nice, that looks a lot like the last planet I landed on, only mine had blue grass, but the steep hills down to the ocean, etc as very similar.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

It's a nice place, fragger :) I've got a planet here that is like a green jungle and not so many animals around so for the first time I got a 100% completion, and all of them are docile. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

It has the occasional storm, but they're not severe. I just jump into the ship or duck into the nearest cave, or a building if I'm in a settlement, until they pass.

Art Blade

if you've run fresh out of shelter, bomb a foxhole into the ground with grenades and hide in there.  :)

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on August 29, 2016, 09:10:12 AMIt's a very strong mushroom.

Found one of those.
[smg id=9162 type=preview align=center caption="strong mushie"]

it might take a hell of a massive insect spray to get rid of that ???
[smg id=9163 type=preview align=center caption="wowzer"]

fragger

Whoa ???

Is that thing dangerous? It looks it.

Art Blade

No, it isn't -- thank the gaming gods it isn't or I'd be running around screaming like a little girl  :-D

It's the one world with only nice animals in it.

fragger

I wanted to see if it was possible to just walk out of the Space Station. You can't - there's an invisible wall just inside the entrance. I though that would be the case. I didn't think it would let you just wander off into space.
[smg id=9165 align=center width=600]

Pin-point landing :-()
[smg id=9166 align=center width=600]

Art Blade

I bumped into that barrier some time ago, too. :)

Nice landing.. lovely.  :-D

fragger

That landing was entirely by accident, of course :)

These things were cool. At first, they didn't do anything...
[smg id=9167 align=center width=600]

...until I got close, then a kind of tentacle would shoot up out of them holding a Gravitino Ball. If I moved away, the tentacle would go back in, but if I got a bit closer still I could nick the ball.
[smg id=9168 align=center width=600]

But, as usual, as soon as I grabbed the ball, combat Sentinels would show up, including one of those Elite numbers (on robotic legs). However, as you see in the pics, sometimes there would be a cluster of them and I could land close, snaffle three or four balls, quickly jump back in the ship (sometimes taking a hit or two, those Sentinels sure do show up quickly), fly to a terminal and flog them. They were bringing in about 27,000 units apiece, so with a good haul I could make a dollop of dough. And these things are everywhere on the planet I'm on, so I can make a fair amount of money pretty quickly - almost as good as the Space Station shuffle :-()

Art Blade

nice :) And funny creatures. Or are those plants?

fragger

Art Blade

I think I found a place where air conditioning might become a bestseller.

Those flying worms are close to 4 meters and herbivore.

[smg id=9182 type=preview align=center caption="Brazilian Summer"]

Binnatics

Wow, time to gear up a BBQ I'd say :laugh:

I've seen these flying worms on a different planet, I believe it was a moon. And it appeared to have no atmosphere at all, but that may have been my way of seeing things :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

fragger

317.2º C - just like a summer day in the Outback :-()

Art Blade

fragger

The black hole express. Nice effect, I like how the stars are all spectral-shifted - blue leading, red trailing. Someone on the dev team has at least a smattering of knowledge about relativistic effects.
[smg id=9185 align=center width=600]

A planet where all the lifeforms bounce around like rubber toys. I found a world like this in my first game too, with comical jumping creatures. It's a chilly world, average -130º C in the daytime. No wonder these things jump around all the time.
[smg id=9186 align=center width=600]

I fed this one, a female (no, I don't know how you tell the difference :-()) She made a bunch of fart noises, then bounced off leaving a lump of Titanium behind.
[smg id=9187 align=center width=600]

Okay, thanks for the excreted rock (I guess - eww). Now hop it.
[smg id=9188 align=center width=600]

Art Blade

yes, they poop out rare materials.. you can even find omegon like that. :)

That last critter is looking really cute  :)

Binnatics

:laugh:

Referring to the black hole trip: I thought these light stripes were related to molecule images, and that the colours indicated different atoms. But I might have gotten that wrong.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

I'm assuming they're supposed to be stars. There's a Doppler effect with light: if a light-emitting object is coming at you at near light-speed, the light will appear bluish, if it's receding at that speed, it'll be reddish. The wavelengths get compressed or spread out (from your standpoint) as a result of the extreme velocity, like when a vehicle with a siren goes past at speed and you hear the sound of the siren drop in pitch. If you're the one traveling at relativistic speed, the starlight coming towards you would appear blue and the starlight traveling away from you would appear red. Or so the reasoning might go.

Either way, it's a cool effect. In reality though, if you were traveling at just a fraction below light-speed you would have a pretty weird view of the universe which would look nothing like the black hole effect in the game. Stars behind you could appear in front of you, stars ahead of you could all appear to be crawling together - all sorts of bizarre effects. It might even appear to you that you're going backward even as you're going forward. It would probably be quite disorienting.

Tags:
🡱 🡳