Father's Day trio: prime brisket, pulled pork, smoked steelhead

Started by PZ, June 23, 2016, 01:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Tired of the commercial buffets for holidays, we decided on doing our own after a disastrous Mother's Day. Pork shoulder was $1.78/pound, the prime brisket was $2.59/pound, and the steelhead most expensive at $6.99/pound.  However, even with that, we came off better than a single person cost at the buffet.

Brisket ready to rub and rest

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Into the Traeger with probes in the flat and point as well as a grill level probe at the far end

Sliced and ready to eat

Crisped up the thin part of the point - the missus just loves it this way, and I had to convince her to save some of the point for sammies

Meanwhile, pork shoulder in the SRG

I really like how quickly you can make delicious PP in the SRG in such a short time

Pork pulls like butter squishing through your fingers - makes a great impact when pulling in front of the guests that have never seen pork being pulled

... and on another cooker, steelhead (skin on) smoked with GMG fruitwood blend

Our friend Gary wanted a hoagie with pulled pork on one half, and brisket on the other. We do the PP with cheese and caramelized onion. The brisket is slathered with home made BBQ sauce

Randy wanted a plate with brisket flat slices, some of the point, and pulled pork with sides of caramelized onions and sauce - a real meat lovers plate!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

Great job mate, that all looks wonderful :-X 8)

I would have thought that on Father's Day it would have been a case of you relaxing while others did the cooking - but knowing you, you wouldn't be able to stand not being at the helm ;)

I'm a bit that way. If there's something I'm good at doing, I'm wary of letting someone else do it in case they mess it up. An example was when I rode motorcycles. I had every confidence in my own abilities and was totally relaxed in the saddle, but if I was on the back with someone else doing the riding I was a bundle of nerves, even when I knew the rider was fully competent. I've been told that I stink as a pillion :-()

PZ

Thanks fragger  ^-^

I'm not much of a pillion either (had to look up that term).  However, for this Father's Day I had a choice - do the cooking (because I claimed to offer much better food) or suffer another of those horrible buffets

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

lol, they did, but I'm unsure it was much of a compliment because they have all said the buffets in our area are awful.  What I don't understand is why they keep insisting on going!  :-()

Art Blade

as long as they don't mention your cooking sessions in the same breath as those awful buffets in your area, you may keep inviting them  :-D

fragger

Sorry about the pillion thing PZ :-[ I keep forgetting that not every expression I'm familiar with is internationally recognised :-D

Art Blade

only because you live beyond the black stump doesn't mean you made a blue using that expression me old cobber. At least I am as busy as a cat burying s#!t learning those. Some of them are real corkers :-D However, "pillion" is also a British expression and not limited to Oz :-()

PZ

Quote from: fragger on June 24, 2016, 08:00:55 PM
Sorry about the pillion thing PZ :-[ I keep forgetting that not every expression I'm familiar with is internationally recognised :-D

I really enjoy learning about the local terminology!  I still use "Bob's your uncle"  :-()

fragger

lol Art :-D

@PZ, I like to borrow expressions that take my fancy from other cultures or languages. I freely switch between the English "arsehole" and the American "a$$hole" (not that I say either a lot, at least not in polite company). Sometimes I'll say "shite" or "scheisse" instead of "s#!t". I've always liked the American "go figure" for some reason, that one appeals to me :-D There's a few others, just can't think of them at the moment.

Art Blade

fragger, ^-^

When I started to learn English some forty years ago, I had a native British English teacher who tried to teach us British English and therefore tried to avoid American English words or expressions. I remember vividly how she explained, "it's not 'weird,' we say 'strange.' 'Weird' is American." And she shuddered when saying 'weird."  :laugh:

PZ

:laugh: :-X

I envy your language abilities, AB.  My first language was Portuguese, the German, then English (American).  A bit of French along the way.

Today I am only proficient in American English and a bit of German (to the level of a 10 year old)

Art Blade

I am certain that you have abilities that I lack so envy is of no use but I see the compliment behind it, thanks :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳