Father and son bonding using a pellet cooker

Started by PZ, June 13, 2016, 09:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quite a few years ago my wife called me from Costco telling me to bring the truck - she had purchased a Traeger Lil' Tex, and I needed to pick it up. At that time I'd not even heard of a pellet grill, but when the wife demands, I comply.  At first I thought it was a great cooker, but after I purchased a GMG DC, I realized that temperature control can be much better, so because the Traeger 25 degree temperature swings were disappointing, so I installed a PID, which made it a much better cooker.

Snapshot forward to a month ago, I helped my son purchase his first pellet cooker - GMG Daniel Boone.  He's been cooking on it nearly every day since, and he is now a confirmed pellethead, just like his old man.  He did his first ribs - pre-seasoned St. Louis style and told me they were fantastic - even his friends told him so.

A weekend or so ago I did spares, cutting St. Louis style.  I like to trim the thin flap to season and snack on while the ribs are cooking. The sternum and ribs were cooked 3-2-1, and I took out the thin trimmings to keep our mouths satisfied until the main show.

Ribs and trimmings on the Traeger - everything was rubbed with Bad Byrons (I don't use sugar rubs for the initial cook) overnight, then into the Traeger @ 225 degrees

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

After 3 hours using cherry pellets, into foil with brown sugar, honey, and butter - meat side down

Into the house oven at 225 degrees for two hours, then sut the oven off and let rest in the cooling oven for the next hour. These ribs are ready to cut.

The look on my son's face was priceless when he took his first bite. "Dang dad, I thought my ribs were good!"  He admitted that he took the shortcut time wise and that his ribs were a bit tough on the bite, and vowed to do it right the next time.

Art Blade

Man. That sure looks delish  :-X :)

That story you told us reminded me of a film and a famous part at the end of it.. it's almost like young bull and father bull, eying a heard of cows down a hill. Son wants to rush down and take one while dad suggests to walk down slowly and then take 'em all.  >:D That's a redacted version of the original quote, the film it originated from is called Colors (1988)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks, AB!  ^-^

I'll need to check out that movie - sounds interesting  :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Art Blade

welcome -- do I now get invited over for some of those spare ribs as a reward the next time you prepare them?  :-()

PZ

Art Blade

fragger

Man, look at those ribs! Phwoar, I can smell them from here... Yum-bo :-X 8)

Tags:
🡱 🡳