No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, April 11, 2016, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

ohhhh, spying on me eh? I see how it is. Not sure even how you'd do that?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

So now you see how it is, don't you.. :-() Well, just click on your own avatar to see your own profile. There and in your library steam shows the total amount of time for every game.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I'm going to break my standing rule about not pre-ordering games for this title and do it tomorrow. I'm just busting to check this thing out 8)

If it ends up stinking, so be it.

Dweller_Benthos

Ah, that's why, I never click on anything on the Steam window except to select a game and hit play. All those other tabs? Never look at them, except for the store. Looks like I played Space Engineers for 42 hours, didn't think I played it that long.

Fragger, the one thing I worry a bit about No Man's Sky is that it will be same old, same old after a while. Even with procedural generation, it could still be "Great, another barren desert planet with no resources" after a while. Let's hope not.
D_B

Art Blade

D_B, I can't just leave you with those 99 kudos of yours so I gave you #100 not only because it's cool but for your recent astonishing activity regarding the sheer amount of posts you generated. Did someone change your diet? As in, energy bars mixed with steroids? :-() During the last seven years, I don't think that I've seen you post that much in such a short amount of time  :-()

+1 :-X Don't stop now just because you're suddenly aware all that :-()

PZ

+1 from me as well  :-X

I think an alien has taken over D_B's mind, and is now trying to infiltrate our organization

fragger

:laugh:

Let's make it 102 :-D Maybe if we give him enough kudos, he'll hold off on the infiltration.

D-B I've had the same thoughts, but still I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully there'll be enough in the way of resource gathering, survival, and the alluded-to figuring out of the "lore" to be engrossing, at least for a reasonable amount of time.

Or it might turn out to be a steaming pile of cosmic caca... I guess we'll find out :)

nexor

D_B's the only one here who talks sense  :angry-new:  8-X

+1 from me also Sir D_B   :-D

Binnatics

Can't stay behind now, can I? Here's another slap on the back, keep it coming mate +1 :-X ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mmosu

Well I can't be left out of this, can I? Make it 105 :-X
In regards to repetitiveness, yes every world will be unique but not every world will be necessarily interesting. However, even barren worlds will have resources, and the harshest and most dangerous places will tend to have the most. Additionally, the economy is set up in a way that if you transport resources that are common in one solar system to another place where it's more rare, you'll be able to sell it for a better price. There will likely, as a matter of necessity, be trade routes that you'll establish for each area that you spend time in

nexor

Quote from: mmosu on May 18, 2016, 07:22:17 AM
In regards to repetitiveness, yes every world will be unique but not every world will be necessarily interesting. However, even barren worlds will have resources, and the harshest and most dangerous places will tend to have the most. Additionally, the economy is set up in a way that if you transport resources that are common in one solar system to another place where it's more rare, you'll be able to sell it for a better price. There will likely, as a matter of necessity, be trade routes that you'll establish for each area that you spend time in

???      ::)   :knockout   erm, english please.....

Art Blade

OK nexor, allow me to translate. :-D

mmosu is referring to D_B's comment,

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 17, 2016, 08:10:50 AMI worry a bit about No Man's Sky [...] that it will be same old, same old after a while [...] it could still be "Great, another barren desert planet with no resources"

when he said,

Quote from: mmosu on May 18, 2016, 07:22:17 AMIn regards to repetitiveness, yes every world will be unique but not every world will be necessarily interesting. However, even barren worlds will have resources,

and means that he expects to find many planets but few that are interesting. He expects that even boring-looking planets will at least have resources.

Quote from: mmosu on May 18, 2016, 07:22:17 AMand the harshest and most dangerous places will tend to have the most [resources]

meaning no risk, no fun.

Then he said,
Quote from: mmosu on May 18, 2016, 07:22:17 AMAdditionally, the economy is set up in a way that if you transport resources that are common in one solar system to another place where it's more rare, you'll be able to sell it for a better price.

which means you won't make a profit if you try to sell the eggs to the same chicken farmer you bought them from. Sell them where there are no chicken farmers.

Quote from: mmosu on May 18, 2016, 07:22:17 AMThere will likely, as a matter of necessity, be trade routes that you'll establish for each area that you spend time in

That means you will need to remember how to get back to the chicken farmer for more eggs and remember where you got the most money for eggs.

Got it now? :)

Dweller_Benthos

haha, thanks guys! I'm one of those types of people (maybe I'm the only one of that type of person) that rarely looks at "extraneous" things. I read the words, hit the reply if the mood strikes. I had to hunt around to see this kudo thing, I wasn't aware of it too much. In general, on the left side there, I look at the name of the person posting and not much beyond that. I rarely even look at mine, hence why it still says I'm playing Revenge of the C-Team in Minecraft. Haven't run it in weeks. I suppose I should change that.

As for the post count, I usually check in once a day during mid-morning snack time at w@&k, I usually have a banana and some orange juice to tide me over until lunch. While I'm eating, I read the posts and respond to the ones that seem like they would be further enriched by some pithy comment from yours truly. The last few days though, I was here more often than usual for some reason. Might be w@&k was slow and I was bored.

And I'm definitely not an alien. Definitely. And if you say, "Well, that's exactly what an alien masquerading as a human would say", let me say that just by mentioning that, means I'm definitely not an alien. Definitely.

... and thanks for the translation, Art. lol
D_B

Art Blade

nexor

See, no sooner have I said D_B's the only one here talking sense then Art goes and proves me right and starts blabbering   :D    :-D

Art Blade

I think that indeed you just proved yourself right :-D

nexor

I love this site    :laugh:

fragger

I may need some confirmation on this:

I went into my local gaming shop today with the intention of pre-ordering NMS, only to be told that the retail version of the game will be PlayStation-only, and that if I want a PC version I will have to go through Steam to get it. If I have to go through Steam I will, but I'd rather have a disk.

Does anyone know if that is the case, or did the shop person get it wrong?

If it's Playstation-exclusive, with a downloadable PC version to follow later, that screams PORT.

nexor

I picked up this part of an article on Wikipedia fragger

Hello Games prepared a six-planet demonstration that would be used for the E3 event and subsequently used to showcase the game for the media while the full version – nearly always in a constant state of flux due to the procedural generation approach – was being developed.[30] The game was announced at E3 2014 with plans for a timed exclusive release on the PlayStation 4,[41][42] and would have later been brought to Microsoft Windows.[43] However, speaking to the media at the E3 2015, Murray stated that they now plan to release the title simultaneously for both platforms, though did not specify a release date.[44] Murray stated that unlike more traditional games, where completion of the fixed number of levels and other assets can be treated as an assembly line and schedules projected from that, the interconnectivity of all the various systems within No Man's Sky requires them all to be working together to make the game successful, and would only feel comfortable on assigning a release date once that is completed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Sky
On another site I found it looks like it will not be available on disk for pc, looks like we'll have to wait and see
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

fragger

Okay, thanks for the info nex :-X

nexor

Binnatics

That definitely sounds like "I'm going to wait and see how the pioneers like the game..." :-\\

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

yep.. plus waiting for a special offer in case the pioneers say it's good

nexor

Tags:
🡱 🡳