BinnZ goes to 10

Started by Binnatics, December 16, 2015, 02:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Yesterday I had my first problem with 10. I started up my PC and after the first windows logo, usually appears the picture with the logon screen. IF there's updates to be configured a light-blue screen will appear with the message that windows is configuring update # and a %. In this case, I got that same blue screen, with the 5 circling windows balls as in "I'm working" without any farther notice. That went on forever. Well, at least for 15 minutes, without any change. So I decided to reboot. After reboot the same blue screen. WTF ???

I checked if I can do other commands, and luckily ctrl+alt+del worked. I got to some startup screen, only without the ability to logon. I could choose to reboot, which I did, and then Windows started normal again. I've no idea what this could have caused, but I was glad it was over. This all happened just at the time when I had decided to do my tax return... how fascinating :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

isn't windows going a tad too far when it even starts to find excuses for you? :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Strange indeed. I had something similar a week or so ago after I had the network cable unplugged for a couple of weeks. Evidently W10 was becoming sicker by the day so I let it do it's updates and all was well again. It looks like the OS is looking for updates each time you log in, and if offline for too long, the list of updates is lengthy.

This is not your issue, but it is interesting to experience snippets of what goes on behind the scenes.  In any case, I still like it more than any other OS I have used (of the MS variety)

Art Blade

I think MS takes too much control, though
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Isn't that what every large business really wants? Complete control over the market, right ????
LEGACY

Binnatics

Well, I agree on that PZ, Win 10 is much better than before. By the way, do you have the professional edition or the home? I have the home edition, which means it will automatically update when there's an update. I read somewhere that Windows Home edition is like a beta-testing panel for the professional users. They can choose to update later, after possible bugs have been fixed >:(

Gkid, of course they want to rule the world and control everything. But most customers also want ease of access and aren't really smart enough to learn what's going on behind the touchpad.  :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I got the professional version. There are several options how to get your updates but it still isn't like it used to be. You cannot handpick your stuff but instead, it's actually the other way around than what you heard Binnatics, you can get early access to upcoming retail versions so you can develop your software in order to get it done before the updates go live. Also, you can postpone some updates if you're a company that wants to stick to versions that won't update fast enough for the new windows updates -- have them update the software and then use the new windows updates. So, not as it used to be.

PZ

I've the home version, and W10 updates automatically whether you want it to or not. The only way around that is to spoof the OS into thinking it has already updated.  I did that for a while, but decided to go back to vanilla and use the Godmode trick to change things the way I like them.

I'm satisfied now, after uninstalling most of the junk apps MS has built into the OS, and minimizing what is sent online.  Now my fan in the SP never runs anymore even though it has the i7 processor in that sleek form factor.

mandru

I still use Win10 but enjoy my time on Ubuntu.  ;)

As noninvasive as Ubuntu is I'm noticing that almost every other day there tends to be updates but they are small and quick to install and either add functionality to non-running background utilities (like the office suite) or the antivirus and malware blocker definitions.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

No doubt that Ubuntu is more efficient that anything MS.  I have an old dog PC that can't run Windows any longer, but I converted it to Ubuntu and now use it as my music server at w@&k.  Never fails, and I never do updates.

nexor

mandru, Pz, are you guys using MS Office software with Ubuntu?

I'm thinking of converting my "old" Vista running pc to Ubuntu mainly for movie downloads and such but would still need to use it as a backup in case my main pc goes on the blink.

It used to be my main pc until I built my new pc with Win 7 and MS Office 2007,
so it's up to date with all the latest related drivers and software
I have no knowledge/experience of the Open Source equivalent to MS Office software

PZ

As far as I know, the only way you can run MS Office is via their web interface (which sucks).  Here's a link to open source Office replacements for Ubuntu - might be worth a look

http://www.ubuntufree.com/top-5-microsoft-word-alternatives-on-ubuntu-14-04-and-14-10/

nexor

Thanks PZ, yes I'm aware that attempting to run MS Office on Ubuntu OS won't w@&k, I had a quick look on the link you provided, I'll have to spend some time on their site to see if and what they have as replacement for Exel and Outlook

mandru

Same for me.  My Ubuntu install arrived with a non-Win office suit that I've not really spent time exploring yet.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳