BinnZ goes to 10

Started by Binnatics, December 16, 2015, 02:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

:-D

I got a magnifying glass out to try to see what was inside the square :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

It's good to know my rig even though it's been invasively key loggered and Trojaned by Windows is still Apple proof.  ;)

Edit: corrected "goo" to good  :D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

PZ

:laugh:

I had an old box at w@&k that I.T. was replacing because the hardware was so old - kept it and installed Ubuntu to act as a music server - made good use of old technology.  Might do similar at home to be able to do things MS won't harvest, just because.

mandru

Quote...just because.

Indeed.  :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

I'll have to get W10 64bit now, hopefully on Monday.

Reason: my old pc was suddenly croaking (more precisely, the gfx card) and it would overheat all the time, causing system halts. It was always operating at a rather high temperature so I thought I'd buy a new PC. Done that today. They took in my old rig for recycling. I had had the HD and the SSD removed from my old rig and had them installed in my new one, additionally to the disks the new one already had. Well, it came without an OS. Not a problem I thought and went home to set it up.

Unfortunately my w7 ultimate 64bit has vanished. I searched every corner and the attic, nothing. Must have thrown it away by accident.. you know, it was a system builder version that comes in a white cardboard wrapped around a DVD jewel case. Easy to miss what it is.

I found many of my previous versions. w95, w98, xp, w7 ultimate 32bit. So I installed w7 32.

Only GTA V requires a 64-bit OS..

:D :D :D

At least the new PC is not so likely to overheat.

I think the rig is quite OK
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I think you're going to like 10 :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Yep - W10 worls really well for me, and because it is installed on an SSD, it boots just about as fast as my tablet  :-X

I wonder if W10 will automatically sense your 64-bit processor and install the proper version

Art Blade

nope, you need to decide first and install later. See, a 32bit version does w@&k on 64bit hardware but not the other way around.

Binnatics

Indeed; I bought on purpose the 64bit version, it's written on the disc. I didn't even get the 32 bit version, which I used to get when I bought win vista. But I wonder what will happen if you upgrade from a 32 bit Win 7 configuration and decide you want to have 64... wil Windows let you decide to upgrade to the 64? ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I just finished doing that.

I still had my German windows 7 ultimate 32 bit which I installed.

I decided to take on Microsoft's offer to upgrade to w10 (which recognised and kept the German language despite the English language pack and the according changes which I had made so I would have a somewhat English OS, it kept the 32 bit and thanks to "ultimate" turned it into W10pro)

After the w10 pro 32bit upgrade I activated it (it is bound to my hardware on which my old w7 was activated hence no registration keys needed and activation was done automatically when I checked it)

I already had downloaded a so called MediaCreationTool from MS which I started in order to create an installation device (on a flash drive) for a fresh install

that MediaCreationTool asked me which language I wanted (YAY, English please) and which type of w10 I wanted (funny enough, I had windows 10 and other options which were --I believe-- a notebook version because it had "N" as suffix and I think a home premium version. Of course I chose w10 without suffix and later it turned out to be indeed a pro version) and the device to install it on (DVD or flash drive, I used the latter one)

Didn't take long and I had an installation flash drive ready for a clean install.

I booted from the flash drive, deleted the partitions on the new SSD on which my old w7/32 and old w10/32 used to be and began installing on that very SSD again. Hehe, got to be a record, three times a new OS within two days.  :-()

And man was I happy to see that the whole dialogue was already in English and it was a rather quick process to get my w10pro/64 started.

I am typing this from that OS using my dear firefox (sod the new Edge)

and just like that, I saved probably 300 €. :-D

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on January 03, 2016, 10:02:53 AM
Yep - W10 worls really well for me, and because it is installed on an SSD, it boots just about as fast as my tablet

I too have it on an SSD but the boot speed is not only determined by that -- the motherboard and the drive setup (as in, is it a RAID setup or some such) plays quite a significant role, too. My old rig already had its OS on an SSD and after the mobo had finished its loooong boot sequence including the RAID check, the OS would load quickly. Still, it took about 45 seconds total until the desktop would appear, thanks to the mobo.

Now.. with the new rig.. oh boy, that is fast. Push power on, and it feels as if it took just a few seconds until I can see the desktop. Nice  :-D

PZ

Cool  :-X

i was comparing boot speed W8.1 v W10 on the same pc, and W10 was much faster  ^-^

Binnatics

Nice workaround! Good thinking :)

Problem solved :-X

Time for a heist!! 8)

Art Blade

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on January 04, 2016, 09:21:24 AMi was comparing boot speed

OK, let's compare. My new rig.. performing a cold start (from power off state) it takes around 20 seconds until I can see the desktop. I think that it is quite fast. :)

PZ

Very fast indeed - 14 seconds to desktop from cold boot  :-X

Art Blade

that is impressive  :-X :)

PZ

Indeed - I've never had any Windows OS boot as fast.  If the machine is not completely powered down, I'd swear that MS is keeping the OS running in the background  :-()

mandru

My prior system (my first i7 rig) that was custom built by IBuyPower when it first arrived could go from a cold start to my being able to open a browser and start surfing in under 10 seconds but Windows updates and the creeping functionality that comes with their intruding by adding services and processes running in the background quickly stomped the snot out of that.  I've never seen that kind of boot up speed since.  :(
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on January 07, 2016, 11:07:04 AM
(from power off state) it takes around 20 seconds until I can see the desktop.

I tried again today and I didn't have to wait for the log-in screen.

16 seconds. :)

PZ

All I can say is that Windows has come a long way since the old days when I could start the machine, go get a cup of coffee, and it would just be at the login screen.  I also love the way the PIN allows you to very quickly get to the desktop without having to type in the full password.

Binnatics

I chose not to use a PIN, because I was afraid to forget it, or mix it with my bank card PIN. I have my, quite long, email password instead, which is in a way annoying. On the other hand, I've become quite good at hammering it onto my keyboard :-()

PZ

Sounds reasonable - just in case you might want to try it one of these days, the good thing is that if you forget your PIN, you can log in with your regular credentials and then reset the PIN.

Tags:
🡱 🡳