FO4 mods already available at Nexus

Started by PZ, November 10, 2015, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

JRD

Great vid and very nice mod GKID. I just don't think I would keep it since the pew-pew-pew is quite annoying.  :-()

The noise laser weapons make in Borderlands The Pre Sequel is much better in my opinion. But again, whoever created this mod wasn't being serious, so kudos to him. :-X

I remember seeing an experiment with a laser once. Can't remember what it was about but I do remember the buzz coming from the laser. Not the light beam of course but rather a muffled buzz the equipment emmited when it was on. So I guess if a noise would be heard, it would be something like that.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, real lasers make almost no noise. There is the hum and buzz of the electricity needed to power the thing, but the actual beam is just light, and pretty much silent. There may be a popping or clicking sound of various electronic components being turned on and off, as most lasers that are used for any type of destructive operation need time for the smoke to clear, from whatever is vaporizing off the target. The smoke and debris  from the first shot needs to to disperse before the next pulse is fired. Otherwise, the laser beam would get blocked or refracted and not be as effective.

But an actual hand carried laser weapon might make certain other noises associated with the electronics/power systems needed to make it w@&k, or the cooling system, but the actual beam of light would be silent, unless it's a combined laser/projectile system where the laser "softens up" the target for the projectile to penetrate more effectively.

Any of these might be the "pew pew" noise, who knows? If anyone has an actual hand carried laser weapon, they aren't talking as far as I know.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

If a laser were powerful enough that it was actually burning the air it passed through I would expect something like a crack of thunder from the surrounding air rushing back in to fill the vacuum.

I dimly remember a show long ago discussing lasers as weapons where it came up that for really powerful lasers there would need to be a primary pilot beam fired first to clear potentially distorting atmosphere out of the way for the powerful blast immediately released afterwards to cut through unimpeded.

But as far as a silent laser...  ????   What fun is a decimating kill if your target doesn't have an agonizing moment where they realize what's in store for them?  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

OWGKID

The Pentagon's DARPA is experimenting with this laser weapon. Should be capable to shoot down missiles and other projectiles. Not man portable (for obvious reasons), but it may be used on ships/vehicles in the future.
LEGACY

fragger

There are some good points raised by you guys regarding smoke and air diffusing the beam, I never really thought about those aspects of it.

I did find some stuff on YuoTube from this guy, a bit of a garage laser enthusiast by the looks of it. He's got a few other short clips besides this one of laser-related things he's come up with:

! No longer available

JRD

This guy is fireing a 8x40W laser array through a magnifying glass. In the golf ball example and the ones near the end of the video you can clearly see the beams converging into the target. It's like killing ants on a sunny day.

Ingenious but not genius. The cool part is getting all the hardware and putting it all together and then setting things on fire at your garage (or at your parent's garage given the age that lad may be).

I just can't see how it is a shotgun.

fragger

Yeah, I don't know where he gets off calling it a shotgun. It's more like a laser pointer on steroids :-D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Whatever it is, it does look cool though.

Nice vid fragger.  :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Case in point, though, you'll notice there is no sound while firing the laser he built. That thing is pretty cool, I have to admit. But really, he's setting stuff on fire that's already pretty flammable.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

True, you could pretty much do what he does with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, just maybe not quite as quickly.

And true, no science-fictiony blaster noises coming from that thing :-D

Art Blade

maybe a splash of gasoline from a jerrycan and a flicked-at lit match would do the trick, too  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

A black or color saturated balloon is going to be a lot easier to pop with a laser that a light colored or reflective one.  After that you can expect a colored laser to do the most damage to a balloon of the color that sits opposite the beam's color on the primary color wheel.

A red beam will tend to almost completely reflect off of a red balloon and so on for the other color combinations.
- mandru

fragger

Art Blade

fragger

Art Blade

Makes me wonder.. if you kill someone with a massive high energy laser pointer, whether or not he could have claimed to have taken the point. :-D

Actually that sparks a whole series of phrases with lethal laser pointers in mind:

* "Alright, there he is. I'll point him out."

* Duellists: Point-to-point connection.

* "I killed him point blank."

* A guy killed by several shots by several shooters. "What's your point?" "The one in the forehead."

* Definition of a Lethal Laser Pointer: Point of no return.

:-D

PZ

Art Blade

mandru

"I quickly pointed out the error in his assumption that I was someone to be trifled with."  ;)

In the eighth grade (it was a very rural K to 8 elementary school) when I first heard about the selective nature of laser light in that "based on its color it would affect one color more than another" during a science lesson.  The teacher was genuinely disturbed when I asked if laser weapons could be tuned specifically to a near white light so it would have little affect with pale skinned people and be more dangerous to people of darker skin shades.

I never got to see the comment that was added to my personal file for that one.  ????
- mandru

PZ

I'm surprised the teacher did not point you in the direction of the Principal's office

fragger

If you go on a killing spree with a laser weapon, the police will issue an all-points bulletin.

@mandru, the comment was probably something like, "Keep an eye on this one - potential Klansman".

Art Blade

mandru

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳