Uncharted 4

Started by PZ, October 27, 2015, 01:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Agreed  :-X

Now all my downloads and updates should be done, and all I need do is enter a redeem code for a pre-order bonus (forgot what it was) and I'll be able to play fresh today.  Grab a glass of wine, some cheese, and the controller  >:D

Art Blade

have fun :)

oh in case you start to find the game cheesy, control yourself and stop wining :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

:laugh:

The cheese is always ready for any new game I try, my friend!

... and maybe I'll be winning instead of wining for a change  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

This image takes me back to FC2

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

Quote from: PZ on May 09, 2016, 09:35:52 PM
...Now I'm too tired to play and will go watch Dancing with the Stars

Don't you get tired of thát??!!! ???? :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

lol, that kind of mindless activity is easy - no skills needed  :-()

Art Blade

I think your skill to fall asleep silently while still convincingly appearing to be watching a film is quite something. Particularly useful when forced to watch a film the other half wants to watch :-D

Quote from: PZ on May 10, 2016, 02:02:58 PMThis image takes me back to FC2

Funny, I instantly exclaimed, "oh look! This totally looks like Tomb Raider."

PZ

lol, so true - I do tend to fall asleep in front of the television.  :-()

I never played Tomb Raider (except for an early version many years ago), so I don't recall much of the landscape

fragger

Quote from: PZ on May 09, 2016, 02:55:18 PM
I have heard it called "wide linear" rather than a true open world experience.  They say that rather than the corridor experience of COD, you can skip past enemy, or lose them in foliage.  So, it is said to be quite wide in areas and narrower in others.  Should be a different experience than the old games.

Sounds a lot like the original Far Cry, actually. That was also "wide linear" and you could use the jungle to your tactical advantage, i.e. sneak past bad guys or play hide-and-seek with them in the bush.

PZ

I never played the original Far Cry, but I really like this game.  As expected, the graphics make you feel like you are playing in a movie (my wife came home and asked what I was watching).

There is lots of "movie" where you just sit back and watch the story develop - I could do with less of that.  However, as a whole, the game looks like it will be memorable in a good way rather than in a "really??? another stupid boss game???" way.

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

The first Far Cry was awesome, excellent setting, very atmospheric, mercs to hunt or hide from, old WWII relics littering the islands, pretty cool weapons. Hang gliders. Sharks. All of it really cool up until the point where the mutants start to appear. That's when I turned on god mode and coasted the rest of the game. I wonder if that will run on a current computer? I would really like to play that first half of the game again.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nexor

You and me both D_B, it would have been a great game but for the mutants  :-(

Art Blade

make that three of us.

And I did exactly what you said, D_B, I replayed the first part over and over again up until the first mutants showed up. And like you, I cheated the rest.

As to Uncharted 4, I just watched some 75 minutes of gameplay (here the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuRPQiwhwhc&list=PL4vbGURud_HpYgpCPSTjKWswu3c2kzXCt) and made a little break here.

The graphics are really nice, motion captured animations look flawless but Jesus H. Christ, I really wouldn't want to do parkour and free climbing for the most part of an hour. Indeed like Tomb Raider (the newer or newest iteration of it).

How are you holding up there, PZ?

PZ

I'm loving the game so far - no bosses, mutants, or otherwise game changers.  The story is excellent - I'm hunting pirate treasure with my brother and old partner.  Have not go into vehicles yet, but I can't wait - the slipping and sliding in the mud looks like fun.

I also really like the grapple hook method of swinging, climbing, etc.  Although not nearly as sophisticated as the later Assassin's Creed games, it is quite good.

Here is a video I captured this morning showing the graphics and a simple puzzle in the game.  Spoiler in a way, but no matter for you guys that are not going to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUgCyNtkCc

What is really impressive is that the transition from cut scene to game is so beautiful, I cannot tell the difference between the scene graphics and the graphics in the game.

I can't wait to get back to the game - played about 5 hours so far and never see the same thing twice.

Art Blade

PZ

Snippets of game mechanics

Using the grapple rope with an anchor on a movable box (you need to discover this yourself) and swinging to another ledge

https://youtu.be/WrMGYXgy9FA

More fun in the catacombs - the location is Scotland

https://youtu.be/pMHb1KmFmx0

The transition scene moving from the catacombs of Scotland to the desert environment of Madagascar

https://youtu.be/kBipkSSV5yo

Here's the sniper weapon in U4

https://youtu.be/f6L6V1Zz2NE

One reason I like this game is the unexpected way to use the tools you are given.  In this instance I happened upon a well, and looking down it appeared to be nothing.  However, I went down anyway and discovered a side passage into a cave.  There was an object out of reach, but a wooden post offered an anchor point for the winch cable - fastened it and was able to retrieve the treasure.

https://youtu.be/aMBqlEOf3ao

Art Blade

the game mechanics are indeed nice, so are some of the ideas. And I enjoyed quite a few funny lines and conversations. :)

What really angers me (I stopped watching a playthrough around half through the game) however is what I call extra drama. And a number of flaws that are part of the extra drama. What I mean is, the game would have been nice focussing on a treasure hunt and could have done without many of the shoot-outs and silly car chases particularly because it doesn't make sense for those to occur at all except for the publishers demanding "more action" so the kids won't get bored.

Nate and his mates are supposed to be ahead of Rafe because they obviously got sound evidence and unique artefacts that should grant them exclusive access to certain areas. But somehow, with those "secrets" that should only be known to them, they keep encountering Rafe's goons who are already there. Or, places that are virtually inaccessible, the goons miraculously managed to be already there, with equipment, in large numbers, while our heroes only got there by accident as in having to fall off cliffs and such or by having climbed extremely artistically and expertly around. If the goons got there with equipment and so on, without being expert climbers, apparently our heroes are too stupid to find a road leading to the right location or the devs didn't care about logic, showing us how the goons got there in the first place. Or, how do crates on casters get into some of the caves no one had been in for centuries? Funny situation: Nate and Sam are standing in a cave in front of a ledge that is about twice as high as one man or about as high as two men stacked on top of each other but they said it was too high to climb by giving a boost to the other brother (they did climb higher obstacles before, boosting each other) Then only Nate climbs around in order to find a way for his brother to get up, even finds a crate, on casters, that is no taller than he is and pushes it over the ledge -- and that thing was enough for Sam who was still waiting below to be able to climb that ledge. WHAT? So a boost would have worked after all and even if it didn't, why did they not climb around together as they usually do? And how is it that half the environment is highly weathered but the riddles' mechanics still w@&k as if oiled recently?

Also, when Nate was swinging with and hanging from that pendulum in the clock tower, how could he not get shaken off by the impact when it slammed into some collapsing structure.. man.. and Sullivan, standing down below at ground level in the centre of the clock tower, half the building comes raining down on him but he never got hit by anything. Also, as if all the ruckus did go completely unnoticed by all those people in the market square next to the tower.. usually goons and police and all sorts of attention would be the consequence but hey, here they go unnoticed.. they exited the tower and outside the people in the market square behaved as if nothing had happened.. but the peace didn't last for long as showed the upcoming insane chase through town because of course, the goons had been preparing and gathering all the time, yet again.

Or, how on earth did his wife find out what Nate had been doing and why did she go to the trouble of flying around half the globe? And miraculously she knew where to go to exactly, and oh, she must have produced a perfectly matching key to get into the house. Getting there just before he himself could as a result of an "unexpected" car chase with about 50 vehicles that had been unable to catch up with Sam, or to shoot out the tyres of his motor cycle, let alone kill Sam, while Nate managed to catch up and destroy all of them including an armoured vehicle with mounted guns, using but small arms? On top, having caught up with Sam, Nate offered him a seat in his car but Sam replied that he didn't want to because his motor cycle was faster?

Well, Nate's wife apparently only got there just to make a bad show. She stood still, purposely showing her back to Nate as he entered but later she said, "the look on your face when you walked into this room" which is nonsense as she was facing the opposite wall and could not see his face when he entered plus his face showed surprise rather than, what she was referring to, some type of excitement related to becoming rich finding Sir Francis Drake's treasure worth some 400 million -- all he wanted was to help his brother he thought dead for 15 years, to survive some type of death sentence cast by a drug lord who was his cell mate in prison and only allowed Sam to break out together with him so he could force Sam to find and "share" said treasure with him, giving Sam three months to find it or get tortured to death. And all she could do was make a show of how disappointed she was just to turn on her heels and disappear again. Yeah, sure.

It would have been a fantastic story (and game) if only they had taken a pass on that type of BS.

Edit: I decided to stop watching as it actually was too much BS for me to bear  >:(( And I added some details above that kept bugging me. :-D

A shame, the game could have been great. Is UBI involved, by any chance? lol

PZ

:laugh:

Definitely not a game based on realism - kind of reminds me of a movie titled "That Man From Rio"

Nonetheless, very enjoyable because of the graphics, story, and when you die, you need not go all the way back to the beginning and do the same lame mission over and over.

I'm now at the city by the volcano, and am looking forward to the adventure!

Dweller_Benthos

Wow, Art, you must be fun at the movies....   :laugh: :-D
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Art Blade

hehe :-D No, at the movies I'm usually not a bad sport but indeed I remember being at the movies with a friend who dragged me there to watch a horror movie and we both started to laugh at some flaws that were so obvious.. almost the same as with this game. However, this game really got on my nerves  :-D

PZ

Uncharted 4 is definitely a different kind of game than I usually like (open world).  However, it is like playing a role in a movie - it has been great so far despite the less than believable story line.  However, when compared to the foolishness we see in the latest Fary Cry games (bosses and ghost warriors), I personally prefer the slight deviations from reality to the utter nonsense of any kind of "boss" game

Art Blade

I was just thinking of L.A. Noire. Cool game without stupid nonsense.

Tags:
🡱 🡳