Windows 10 Free upgrade*

Started by mandru, August 01, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiku

@PZ

Theres no difference between monitor drivers, they all use the same resources, may also have their own color profiles. Monitor drivers only useful job is to provide resolution-refresh rate combinations that aren't burned into EDID

btw, drivers for that mon -> Acer multiplatform monitor drivers

PZ

Stiku

Just gonna put this here, because its DX12 related and all that.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-wanted-oxide-dev-dx12-benchmark-to-disable-certain-settings.html

For those who dont want to read, async shaders is a newer way to handle tasks, and its one of the biggest improvement on DX12, what nVidia told would be supported by their current card lineup. Now it seems that their cards cant handle that at a good pace. Biggest s#!t being nVidia gloated several times that AMD doesn't support couple of the really newer DX12 features and blah blah blah. 

All in all, nVidia users are being lied to constantly by nVidia, which isn't good for anyone. I hope this doesn't jump over to AMD's side. Otherwise I would need to take out my old toys and go back to the sandbox.

PZ

mandru

Stiku, I had become aware of this situation but was unsure of how to proceed in blocking it.   :-\\  +1

The link gives gives enough guidance that I'll have to try slogging through.  I hate dinking around with unfamiliar territory on my comp.  :(
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Stiku

Just have a backup in hand if something goes wrong. And learn/print and create restoration(read: Windows 7/8 USB installation disc is a good start) medias before starting to do anything and you'll be fine.

There is always a risk when removing those windows updates that they aren't cleanly removed, or they leave stuff behind that can affect the startup process(Hence the backup)

mandru

Quote from: Stiku on September 02, 2015, 07:51:56 AM

Just have a backup in hand if something goes wrong. And learn/print and create restoration(read: Windows 7/8 USB installation disc is a good start) medias before starting to do anything and you'll be fine.

The only thing I know about "back up" is that it's the "R" on the shift stick on Mrs. mandru's Hyundai.

As far as "... learn/print and create restoration(read: Windows 7/8 USB installation disc is a good start) medias before starting to do anything...".  That went so far over my head it was leaving contrails.  ???

I keep telling you guys I don't fix them I just drive 'em.  :'(
- mandru

PZ

There's always something that MS is mucking up to make our lives difficult.  The company is something like a child molester - offering you candy and then end up molesting you.

Stiku

@Mandru

Just create a restoration point before messing with the windows updates, can be done from the control panel, then go to your wife's car, remove the the shift linkage, then remove the torque converter and tell her that she now has 6 neutrals and a park.

@PZ

Well that escalated too quickly, but you are closer to MS HQ, maybe you should call the cops then   :angel:

PZ

mandru

- mandru

mandru

Here's something I've found out.

Microsoft upon learning that people are refusing to upgrade to Win10 (among other things) but largely because of it's privacy violations updates have been inserted into our systems giving Win7 and Win8 the same intrusive capabilities as Win10.  The updates are already loaded into Win7 and Win8 reporting back to Microsoft on every keystroke we make.

Microsoft's plan to scour our systems for information under the guise of  being able to profit by selling our data to marketers who want to target to us more precisely has the larger ramifications of their taking every word typed (even in the private section of a public forum) against a political faction that Microsoft favors and turning it over to the politicians they want to bolster.  That way the enforcement against politically in-correct hate speech can be rained down on anyone labeled as a dissident or potential trouble maker.

Spoiler

I'll hold the politically disgraced and much maligned ex-CEO of Yahoo Scott Thompson up as an example.  He was someone who years ago gave a donation to an activist group who's stated purpose was to protect the laws surrounding marriage to be "between a man and a woman" (which was the exact same voiced position held by every PC mongering Democrat politician running for office on and prior to 2008 (including caught on video Obama) because they lied knowing the truth of their ultimate agenda would cause them to lose any chance of  being elected) and years later when Scott Thompson's donation came to light the PC crowd headhunters marked him for destruction.

Here's one such politically charged bit of butchery of Scott Thompson that because of the prestige of the magazine helped tear the man down:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/05/14/the-high-price-of-career-lies-2/

Just one shark in the overall feeding frenzy bent on ruining his life and notice they completely omitted the detail of the long ago donation.  At the end of the article the author admits that this man was more than qualified but because of some small discretion absolutely had to go.  An yet we are expected to overlook the lies and indiscretions of our current president, the department of in-justice (fanning the flames of anti-cop and white hatred among the Blacks Lies Matter mobs), and good old "What difference does it make now" Shrillery Clinton.  :D 

If you get caught in the cross-hairs of this slimy mechanism the power players won't come at you directly for speaking out against them as the Forbes article demonstrates.  You will find yourself entangled in a barrage of seemingly unrelated run-ins with civil laws, rules and regulations, the denial of licenses and permits, or simply the ability to conduct the daily necessities of keeping a job, earning a living, or keeping a roof over your head.  Look at the recent history of highly positioned people in business, the entertainment industry or public life that have been put out of their jobs for being on the wrong side of the politically correct assassins.

And in the long run gay marriage will buy votes for the liberals and carry the side benefit of creating a whole new resource for filling the pockets of divorce lawyers.

But back to my thought on a way to foil the increasingly invasive nature of the Windows monopoly. 

I think cutting the cord with Windows by going to a pure Linux driven rig and taking the hit of losing pretty much all options on the games I can buy off the shelf and play is a bit too drastic.

I know that it is possible to to set up a Win7/Ubuntu or other Linux OS Dual-Boot so that when I power up my comp It first asks which OS I want to load in.

I could shut off all Win7 updates so that I take no additional speed loss to the continual creeping functionality and the only time Windows would touch the internet is when I'm loading and playing one of the games that requires an online registration or connection for play.  For all internet browsing I would be able to download Firefox into Ubuntu or Puppy Linux as has been suggested but I still need to research and gather more information on Puppy before taking that plunge.

I know part of setting up a dual-boot system is that you have to "shrink Windows" which currently claims to own all of my C: drive by re-partitioning.  This may or may not require a clean reinstall of Win7.  If I decide to go this route I have a local shop that should be able to save and restore my data, reinstall Win7, and set the partition sizes (or possibly add a 2nd hard drive as non-SSD's are cheap these days) to install the Linux flavor for my internet activity.

This is all coming right at a time where I'm looking at increasing my system's DDR3 capacity to something less shallow than the 4gb total I'm currently running and I have a local tech shop that I'm sure could set up both the clean reinstall of Win7, dual-boot me  up and would be more than happy to sell me Ram sticks while I've got my rig in the shop.  I'll bet they'd even park a fresh copy of Firefox on the Linux side of the partition for me so it would be a simple plug and play situation once I've hooked it all up when I get it home.  :)
- mandru

PZ

That's lots of technical talk coming from someone that claims:

Quote from: mandruThe only thing I know about "back up" is that it's the "R" on the shift stick on Mrs. mandru's Hyundai

8-X   :-()

Stiku

LOL, your plan goes out the windows instantly when you install firefox, it sends more personal information to devs that your wife knows about you.

mandru

PZ I can grasp concepts, plan courses of action, and research what needs to be done.  But taking it into my own hands has often proven to be disastrous.

I've learned not to argue with this guy:

Spoiler

If you have a better suggestion Stiku, one that I'm able to manage I'm always willing to weigh and evaluate advise.  ^-^

Besides I kinda like the idea of sticking my thumb (and teaching others to do the same) in Microsoft's eye.  >:D
- mandru

Stiku

Every browser has its drawbacks, Chrome has google spying you, Firefox has opensource devs, nobody to be accounted for.
Opera, norwegian guys giving a free "browser" for anyone, etc etc etc. MS IE/EDG, obviously MS spying on you.
There are also many chromium based browsers for linux that are made by 3rd party also.

mandru

If enough people adopted something like what I've proposed it would at least be slashing the tendons of the monopoly giant Microsoft cutting their feet out from under them them and down to size saying "NO" in a way that hurts them in the pocketbook.

"Serve up crap get slapped back" is a longstanding consumer rights principle that we consumers really need to unite around.

*Edited typos
- mandru

PZ

Stiku

Just gonna leave this here: Every 30 minutes Windows 10 sends all typed text to Microsoft

Everyone can make their own judgements over this, not going to say anything.

Will also leave this too Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
and this : Destroy windows spying

And the leaked notes of the newer 10540 build : Release notes for Windows 10 build 10540 leaked

PZ

:-X

The data world gets worse seemingly on a daily basis

nexor

So much for Windows 10!!!!  >:(( >:(( >:(( >:((
At the time I downloaded/installed Win 10 on a seperate hdd than my Windows 7 to see what will happen with this "free" Win 10 after a year. I use Win 7 all the time and only periodicaly start up Win 10 to check for updates and such, last night I wanted to check for updates and to my surprise I get an error message, Windows 10 will not boot up. I tried everything, even the built in automatic repair, all it did was wipe the harddrive clean, and I mean "CLEAN"  >:(( :D >:(( :D

Tags:
🡱 🡳