Windows 10 Free upgrade*

Started by mandru, August 01, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Interesting - I'll need to check it out  :-X

mandru

Will any of the Linux flavors fully run the games we're playing and an Nvidia GPU?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Stiku

No, and yes, depends on the person who we are talking about.
Linux actually has WINE, that is capable of emulating D3D calls and translating them to opengl, and opengl games can run native through it.

Since Steam Os was released, alot of games have been ported to linux side also, so they run natively and with opengl on linux side, but the biggest problem is the drivers, nVidia doesnt really want to develop drivers for the linux side that have really good performance, AMD side things are more greener, but nothing compared to Windows side.

here's a good list of games that can run on steam os, that are ported to linux(can be run on other distro's too, but require that you acquire them through steam  >:D),
https://steamdb.info/linux/

mandru

Hmm...  Not good news.  :(

Steam ranks even lower than Windows 10 on my "I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a stick scale".

I read halfway through that (non-alphabetical) list and other than Civilization and the Half Life2 series there was nothing else I even recognized.  At this stage in my gaming career I'm pretty much beyond the point of grabbing an unknown game simply because I finished the last one and I'm ready for the next.  That type of game consumption has left me with a mountain of games that will never be reloaded.  That's not including the considerable stack of games purchased but once I'd read the instructions (or user's guide) lost all interest and never even bothered to load up.

Black & White Deluxe was probably one of the most expensive to fall in that category.  ::)

It's too bad one of my old favorites Tone Rebellion had a lot of glitches and refused to run once Windows 98 was phased out.

If all else fails I still have my subscription to RuneScape that's so old I'm still grandfathered in at the $5 instead of the standard $10 (US$) monthly fee but that will really knock me out of the conversational mix at least when it comes to games here at OWG.
- mandru

nexor

I've been having Nvidia driver update problems for sometime now, a few days ago a Win10 GPU driver update notice popped up on the screen, and yet again the update failed to install for no reason at all.
I went into device manager, opened the graphics adaptor, right click the graphics card and clicked on update driver software, the latest Win10 driver installed like a breeze   :-D   

PZ

I had a strange audio problem on a Surface Pro 3 after installing W10. The sound would not w@&k at all even though the hardware was being reported as being present and working properly in the device manager.

A simple delete of the audio driver and a scan for hardware changes was all it took to fix it.  Curiously, the same thing happened on a W8.1 Surface yesterday.  In that case however, an error was thrown when an application tried using the audio.  Same fix though - delete the driver and scan for hardware changes  ????

Stiku

I had to do the same with the integrated soundcard also, expansion one didn't require it though.

PZ

After doing my wife's machine last week, I tried to do mine yesterday.  Update was screwed up, and none of the repair solutions worked so I did a soft repair of the OS.  Then Windows reported 144 updates, which I dutifully did - when completed networking, the docking station, wireless, etc.etc. did not w@&k - checked the device manager and it was full of exclamation marks with no way to fix them.

Finally did a reset to factory - man, I love how perfect Windows is  \:/

Stiku

I. Can't. Resist.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

:-D @ Stiku - I've slapped friends for saying "Well at least it can't get any worse."

I don't fix them, I just drive them.  Anything less simple than Plug and Play as far as I'm concerned is still in the Alpha stage of development.

And I never trust a Beta when offered.
- mandru

Stiku

That may be an overkill, but I have learned that if it sounds impossible, Windows will manage the way to screw it up anyways.
I do still remember screwing up a fresh Windows 98 SE installation just by disabling one service from the service manager once.

But anyways, upgrading has always been like playing with fire, chances that something goes wrong is more likely than the sunset every evening, even more dangerous than doing half-a$$ job compiling a linux kernel and not knowing what you are doing( I got experience screwing that too, so many times)

Binnatics

Well, all in all it's a better idea to update to win7 (still got vista) than any other option I could think of. Or accept the transition into a tyle-toucher :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

lol, Stiku  :-()

Quote from: Stiku on August 26, 2015, 01:32:23 PM
... I have learned that if it sounds impossible, Windows will manage the way to screw it up anyways...

A more accurate assessment of Windows I have never read.

On a positive note however, I had purchased Office 2013 through the HUP for $9.95 when I initially purchased the Surface.  I could not recall any of the detail, but knew I had to reinstall the product after the OS reset.  So, I called MS and one of their technicians sent me a new email with the link to download and install - worked without a hitch

Stiku

Okay, this is getting really stupid now.
MS released 3 updates : KB3081448, KB3081449, KB3081452

Nothing new, but I had to install one by one, and reboot between. How stupid is this.  :D

PZ

Sounds like standard MS SOP to me  :angel:

As of now, I've two out of three computers on which the W10 app did not appear.

mandru

If I turn off and restart my comp I get the Win10 nag.  If I sleep and re-awaken my comp I get the nag.  >:((

It's been a month already give me a freaking option to select "I don't want Win10 so piss off, get the nag off my computer, and never ask me again!"   :D
- mandru

Art Blade

right-click into the area where those icons are, select "customise icons and notifications" and disable that win10 icon (hide icon and notifications) -- have you tried that? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I've now installed W10 on both Surface machines and like it.  However, during install, I disabled almost all of the "options" that end up sending MS info.

It appears to be much more stable than 8.1, doesn't cause the fan to come on as much, and performance is improved.  MS really did take the bad things out of 8.1

Next, I plan to get on my new gaming rig.

mandru

My concern is that hiding it doesn't eliminate it.  I'd prefer to know the nag is gone for good.

PZ I've heard that every time there's an those disabled "options" reassert themselves so you may want to check on them from time to time.
- mandru

PZ

Yes, I have already experienced a bit of it, mandru - every once in a while I'll receive a prompt offering me the best thing that has ever come to computing, and when you read the fine print it reads (your information will be sent to Microsoft). Also, I have not found any way to disable automatic updates.

None the less, the basic OS is really good (so far).  I'm most concerned about performance (speed) and the ability to run my applications without failure.

Stiku

@Mandru

http://puppylinux.org
Should get rid of everything.

To PZ, there isnt a way to disable them, atleast for now.

mandru

Thanks Stiku.  :)   :-X  +1

I gave the link a quick glance and it looks good.  I will need to look deeper.

Whether I can use it or not will depend on if it will cooperate with my Nvidia 680 and the games I want to play.  :-\\
- mandru

PZ

Thanks Stiku - likely someone will come up with a modification that will allow users the choice.

Just finished upgrading to W10 on the gaming rig, and fired up old FC2 - still works like a charm  :-X

Interestingly, nVidia GeForce recognizes  the Acer XB270HU and all of it's performance capabilities (as did FC2 display settings), but W10 labels it a generic PnP monitor in the device manager. - guess Acer has not developed a driver for W10 yet

fragger

Quote from: mandru on August 29, 2015, 10:28:49 AM
My concern is that hiding it doesn't eliminate it.  I'd prefer to know the nag is gone for good.

mandru, I posted about this a while back, dunno if it will help. There's a couple of hyperlinks in this post which offer a few options for getting rid of that stupid thing. The second of those two links is probably the most helpful.

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=3749.msg76766#msg76766

Oddly enough, I couldn't get rid of that for a while, then one day I gave "customize icons and notifications" option yet another try and this time it appears to have worked permanently - I haven't seen the icon since. Maybe a recent update made the "customize..." option fully operable or something. Give it another go if you haven't already - although it sounds like you've given it plenty already :-\\

Art Blade

I think mandru meant that he would have been able to hide it but instead he wanted to rip out the evil by the roots so that hiding wouldn't be necessary any more.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳