Windows 10 Free upgrade*

Started by mandru, August 01, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

I believe that this steam machine is based on Ubuntu as well, and apparently that works with most of the games, supposedly. I really hope we will get a good alternative for windows, because I'm starting to loose faith. If it wasn't for gaming I would've completely switched to Mac now I guess :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

if it hadn't become mandatory for gaming, I'd never even have touched that bleeding windows. I used to be a proper DOS guy who looked at the "windows 3.11" rubbish just the same way as we're now looking at the flipping w10 icon.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Managed to fix the sound issue  :-D Had to uncheck "Disable all sound effects" :D :D :D ^-^
LEGACY

fragger

:knockout

WTF? "Noise effects" ?

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Oops, it reads "Disable all sound effects"  8-X :D :laugh:
LEGACY

Art Blade

fragger

nexor

So far mine is running smooth and without any glitches 

OWGKID

My laptop seems to suffer from a Win 8 driver for the Intel HD graphics iGPU :'( >:(( :angry-new: It makes the PC stutter :angry-new: :angry-new:
LEGACY

nexor

oh ssssshhhhiiiiiiit.......... :-D

OWGKID

It doesn't do that every time, but when I tried to play some Far Cry 2 (lowest settings), it stuttered frequently  :'(
LEGACY

PZ

That's awful - I thought software was supposed to become better with subsequent versions... oh crap... forgot, we're talking about Microsoft.

OWGKID

I guess the Intel HD Graphics driver could be the reason ;) It has the Win 8 version driver and I haven't updated it to the Windows 10 version ::)
LEGACY

PZ

Did the upgrade on my wife's Surface Pro 3 the other day.   Did the custom setup and deactivated all of the default options because most sent data to Microsoft.

Now you cannot disable updates - they occur automatically whether you want it or not.

I do not see any advantage of W10 yet.  Perhaps something will pop up in the future, but for now, I do not see any new "must have" features.

mandru

You can disable updates the same way I did with my Win8 driven tablet.

Disconnect it from WiFi and never let it touch the internet again.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Art Blade

Stiku

I took me about the time that took to press Windows key + R and typing "gpedit.msc ..." command in.
Only thing to choose from 10 over 8 is the DX12, nothing else.

Subsystem in all three are pretty much the same , maybe some exceptions like NDIS,WDDM, memory management, and fault tolerance.
Though the drawbacks are, that incase of a fuckup, you can't access the lovely bootmenu in win8/10 like you could in win7 and earliers by pressing F8.

PZ

Sounds like MS is trying to mimic Apple  ::)

Art Blade

ever since they released windows. :-()

PZ

:laugh:

Yeah, but they are blatant about it now!

As to potential problems - the audio driver did not w@&k after installing W10, so I had to go into the device manager, delete the audio driver and then scan for hardware changes.

Stiku

Windows is becoming more like unix based GUI's, like Apple is allready.

Pretty much everyone is copying from KDE,GNOME and unity. Ubuntu/steam OS... Are based on Debian, though someone said its based on Ubuntu.

PZ

Ubuntu is my favorite OS as of now - I use it as the OS for a media server, and it is blazingly fast, even on an old PC that can barely run Windows XP

Stiku

You would be suprised how much faster Kubuntu, native Debian are compared to it. Ubuntu is great for desktop use, and if you have the skills it has all the functionality that other desktops have too, but the unity GUI is the slowest and most demanding(fraction what windows GUI is).

KDE can be run almost anywhere, even on your wrist clock, though you may get some wrist burns on prolonged use.  :-D

Though it doesnt matter that much which distro you are using, if you have decent enough computer running it, ARM based devices are a little more picky. And if you are like me, I got a SPARC computer somewhere, which is even worse than the X64/X86 and ARM together.

As of windows 10, Ive also been using the new virtual desktop feature, which allows me to have 3 virtual desktop setups, one for gaming, one for w@&k, and 3rd for casual surfing etc etc. Keeping things separate from each other, and easy to transition from each other.

Tags:
🡱 🡳