PZ's FC4 comments

Started by PZ, January 05, 2015, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

You got it fragger.  :)

Spoiler

The tired old riddle was "Why did the chicken cross the road?" and it looked like they were playing off of that.  I never encountered a mission to interact with that scene atop the bridge and yet some developer thought it was worth putting in to the game.

By the way fragger, nice landing.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

I just went up on that bridge to see what was there,
Spoiler
aside from the chicken and road thing, I can't figure any other joke, unless it's an in-joke that the devs only know. I mean, who's the guy, and why was he gambling (I presume, from the money, cards and poker chips strewn about) up on top of a bridge tower?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

That's pretty much all there is to see.

Spoiler

I was merely commenting on the perpetual chicken crossing the road set up by the Devs because "There was nowhere else for it to go."  If the guy's presence ties into some deeper gag I haven't really encountered anything in the game to reveal that.

Maybe he was an unfortunate who's rooster didn't take the arranged dive during one of FC2's Cock-Fights (Escape from Pala via the N.W. - Pit Fighter Tutorial mission) costing the resident mercs a bundle and Anto Kankaras handed him over to Min's people to exact revenge.  ;)

- mandru

nexor

Or, maybe as you approach the bridge he was supposed to take you out with a rocket launcher, only the FC4 devs completely forgot about him in the rush to finish the game    :-D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Spoiler

One of my thoughts was that the two particular cards lying next to the dead guy (a 2 and a Jack, if I remember correctly) may, if combined with a King, have constituted some kind of significant hand in a game of Bridge. I guess I tried too hard :-())

mandru

Spoiler

Clearly a 2 and a Jack can't win against a King and his army.  ;)

- mandru

fragger

OWGKID

The game used a lot of recycled weapons from FC3. I enjoyed the game, but I'm a bit mixed about the plot. The game certainly could use some modding. Btw, have you guys heard about the FC5 poll? Ubisoft wanted fans to vote for the next Far Cry setting.

CHOICES

• A Far Cry game in remote Alaska
  • A Far Cry game in a futuristic sci-fi setting on another planet  :o :o
  • A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam War
  • A Far Cry game set in the Peruvian jungles (Drugs trafficking)
  • A Far Cry game featuring Vampires  :laugh: >:D
  • A Far Cry game in Spagghetti Western style set in the 19th century Americas
  • A Far Cry game set in a zombie outbreak
  • A Blood Dragon sequel
  • A FC game with a Mad Max apocalyptic setting
  • A Jurassic Park themed Far Cry
  • A FC set in the world of Shangri La

Link: http://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-poll-hints-at-future-far-cry-settings/
LEGACY

JRD

I like the Alaska and Peru options better. The Vietnam..... not so much but could be fun. All other options seems to break from the kind of game we like, which is men versus men (and some animals recently). Vampires? Dinossaurs? Please............ they are running out of ideas.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

My top choices in order:

1. Mad Max (as long as it's done right, lots of vehicle combat maybe? but no mutants or zombies, just whacko apocalypse survivors) [but then again, isn't there already a Mad Max game in the works by someone]
2. Peru (actually my first pick since I think Mad Max isn't going to happen)
3. Alaska (but no too thrilled with another snowy game)
4. Spaghetti Western (I liked the look of Red Dead Redemption but the 3rd person turned me off)
D_B

mandru

Gee.  Where's the "none of the above" option?  Not one of those choices tickle my gotta get it nerve endings.  ???

Even though I hate the idea they left out the equally bad choice of Medieval Europe before the invention of equestrian stirrups on saddles fighting against the incursion of the Huns to prevent the plague.  :D

The Vietnam and Peruvian Jungle choices are so damn cliché it made me grit my teeth.  How many Vietnam war and S. American fight against drug cartel movies (that I've completely ignored) are there already?  It's been done to death!

Alaska's cold has (from an early age) been established as my definition of "Hell on earth" after reading Jack London's novels White Fang and The Call of the Wild both set during the Klondike gold rush.  While I would love to at least once in my life see the Aurora Borealis (the Northern lights) even that nagging draw isn't enough to overcome my extreme dislike of the climate to actually go North to where it might be possible.

How about this scenario?  ;)

Modern day Moors (you know who they are) attempting to retake their previous Iberian Peninsula holdings (of Spain, Portugal et al) to recover massive hidden caches of treasure that had to be hastily abandoned on their final expulsion from Granada in 1492.  I think that would be better option than any of the offered choices even if it does mean recycling some of the weapons I've become familiar with in FC2, FC3 and FC4.  I really like the silenced AS-50.  >:D

But I'm sure that is too politically sensitive for culturally blind... Uh, I mean culturally balanced UBI to ever consider.  ::)
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: GKID7891 on February 23, 2015, 12:53:54 AM
  • A Far Cry game in a futuristic sci-fi setting on another planet  :o :o

Quote from: Art Blade on December 30, 2014, 10:41:41 AM
funny that you should mention "Mars," PZ. I was actually thinking about the same, the future of FC, and that it might as well be in space, a Sci-Fi tale. :)

:-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Looks like many of us appreciate the more realistic scenarios which are more reminiscent of the setting in FC2.  Definitely no futuristic, zombie, or other sci-fi types for me.  I might like a RDR-like experience.

Jungles are not my favorite as I prefer the open feel of the desert without the closed in feeling of the trees and other plants.

I still prefer the war torn areas mostly devoid of people where you can stand on a bluff and see for literally miles (like our old banner)

One I would not ever give a second glance is the one based on Shangri-la

mandru

I liked the Shangri-la missions except for the last pain in the butt mindless battle with no stealth option and no indication that you were making headway.  That was bloody insane and seemingly pointless while engaged in it.

That said I would not want to see a complete game based in the Shangri-la setting being jammed into the FC franchise.  I need more than a foundational premise than the incomprehensible enemy is evil and they're going to kill you.  \:/

I wouldn't like that any more than a full game based on Noore's eternal gladiator "Pit Fighter" arena premise.
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Side tracking a bit on Mandru's comment on the pit fighter and Noore's arena, has anyone even bothered to go back there and do another fight aside from the obligatory ones you need to do in order to progress the story? I keep seeing the achievement to get level 10 in the arena, but just can't be bothered (yet). I may eventually just to see what the other fights are like.
D_B

Art Blade

I used cheats and still it was a bloody chore (time-consuming) to get level 10 in order to unlock that Bushmaster (is it called Bushmaster?) -- the signature assault rifle.

mandru

I've been going back from time to time (I just barely cleared level 5) taking on a few rounds until I get sick of it and set  it aside for another run at it later.

To be taken with a grain of salt:

I've heard that there is a downloadable Arena App for smartphones and tablets through either UPlay or UBI that uses a completely different combat approach other than the frantic mad scramble it is on the PC and I suspect the same for console.  I think I searched "Noore's Arena Tips" to find mention of it.  In one forum people were reporting clearing from scratch to level 10 in an hour.

I can't vouch for it and don't even own a cellphone so I would be very cautious about any apps out there as it might be a scammer's phishing attempt to score remote access to your phone.
- mandru

OWGKID

Quote from: Art Blade on February 23, 2015, 03:19:46 PM
I used cheats and still it was a bloody chore (time-consuming) to get level 10 in order to unlock that Bushmaster (is it called Bushmaster?) -- the signature assault rifle.

*Bushman ;)
LEGACY

Art Blade

JRD

I guess the worst part is that Ubi is letting the masses choose the next installment by giving them all the commercial hits like zombies and such. It is definitely the end of the Far Cry franchise. But then again, if you think about the first even Far Cry, it was linear and full of monsters so FC2 departed from that style.

They might be just coming back to the original idea.  :(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

OWGKID

I hope Ubi can at least make FC5 different, rather than doing the copy-and-paste trick they did with FC4 (typical CoD   ::). Some features could be kept. Btw, I think OFFICIAL mod tools would be great for FC5 :-D CoD: WaW's zombie mode is still supported by the modding community. GTA IV and Skyrim are another good examples due to the mods keeping them alive  :-() ;)
LEGACY

PZ

I would love to see official modding tools, but that would seem to be counterproductive to Ubi's financial model.  After all, they want us to purchase at least one, preferably several major titles each year, and all the DLC that goes with it so we each spend over $100 US.

Unfortunately modding would encroach on their profits, so I doubt we will see official tools any time soon.

fragger

Getting back to the choices for future FC settings, none of them appeal to me.

The Mad Max one speaks to me a little for obvious reasons. But having been out to where MM2 (Road Warrior) was filmed, I can attest to the fact that there's nothing there but lots and lots of dusty ochre flatness with a very occasion pimple-shaped hill sticking up out of it, no trees and no rivers or any other bodies of water. Unless they relocated the story to a different part of Oz, it would be a pretty boring landscape for a shooter. And if they relocated it, it would have to be post-apocalyptic or something in nature. There's not much in the way of war, revolution or civil unrest that ever happens here - unless the local pub runs out of beer :-()

Somewhere like the more mountainous regions of China might be interesting. There are some incredible landforms there, and maybe some possible story scenarios, as long as they involve something down-to-earth and not concerned with some kind of esoteric mysticism.

No ancient demons, monsters of the id, zombies, vampires, mutants, aliens, dope fiends or hallucinogens, please.

Tags:
🡱 🡳