PZ's FC4 comments

Started by PZ, January 05, 2015, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: nexor on January 13, 2015, 03:12:32 PMIt also doesn't have an explosive round, it is just very powerful

You're mistaken, it does have explosive rounds  :)

Far Cry 4 Signature Weapon Guide - "AMR" Sniper Rifle
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Dang, that guy is not the best shot in the world - seems to spray and pray using a sniper  ????

nexor

Although there are several tipes of ammo available for the AMR, I'm sure only standard rounds are used in FarCry 4
An explosive round would also kill others nearby the person you shooting   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-materiel_rifle

mandru

I noticed that the Youtube channel that AMR video above comes from has a lot of useful videos in their lineup.  I got lost over there for a couple hours going from one video to the next.  :)

The Group behind this series of weapon evaluations seems pretty unified in adhering to an agreed upon format.  Their standardized formula for presentation of the weapons is very well organized.  Looking first at the detailed specs with helpful commentary towards comparing featured weapons against others of the same class, how and where to acquire and then moving on to showing the weapon's use in actual game play for each of the various weapons.

I found the information to be pretty top notch even if the game play captures were a bit frantic and caught up in "heat of the moment" scrambling.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:)

Nexor, if you check the description of the AMR either in the vid or in your game when selecting it, you'll notice that it is spelled out it is using explosive rounds and you don't have a choice which ammo to use. It was like that in FC3 already which is why mandru asked about it.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

It is a great weapon. But I noticed one little annoying thing. I don't remember if it were that way in FC3 already, but in this video I thought the kickback-view is a bit disturbing. It's logical that the view-angle is raised by the shot being fired, but here it looks like there's only a single frame between shot and the view the scope delivers after the kickback. You just don't see the movement, only the re-aiming. It would've been better if you could actually see the scope move up.  :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

I'm not disputing that Art, what I'm saying is that the rounds displayed in FC4 are not explosive rounds, my reason for saying so is the fact that an explosive round does more damage than what is shown in the game (you can read up what the experts say about the splash factor of explosive rounds), hence my response to mandru's question.
But if what they portray as explosive rounds in FarCry 4 then I'm happy for them and will accept that it is explosive rounds. Case closed

PZ

I had a most wonderful co-op experience with my son last night.  He started the game, and I joined him, which put me into his northern map.  We first did outposts.  He would go to a high spot on one side of the outpost, and I to the other.  Soon we had all the alarms scoped, as well as 99.9% of the mercs.  In a coordinated effort, we simultaneously took out all alarms and then the most threatening mercs - the snipers, who have long lines of sight.  I would then cover his actions as he would go into the area, set mines, C4, and CQC with me sniping any threats.  He would do take-down on anyone I told him about. Man, that was one of the best experiences I have had in any game.

Once all the outposts were done, we started on the animal quests.  I forget the names, but these are the ones that max the crafting pouches.  Because it was his game, I simply assisted him, and he harvested the top predators.  That was just as much fun because we coordinated our attacks so the achievement was relatively easy.

Lastly, we did a propaganda mission, which was my first.  He told me what to expect, but still, the chaos and violence was unparalleled.

All in all, if you have a favorite person with which to do co-op in FC4, go for it - you will be most pleasantly surprised.

Binnatics

Quote from: nexor on January 14, 2015, 05:32:14 PM
I'm not disputing that Art, what I'm saying is that the rounds displayed in FC4 are not explosive rounds, my reason for saying so is the fact that an explosive round does more damage than what is shown in the game (you can read up what the experts say about the splash factor of explosive rounds), hence my response to mandru's question.
But if what they portray as explosive rounds in FarCry 4 then I'm happy for them and will accept that it is explosive rounds. Case closed

On a side note; here's an example of proper in-game explosive rounds:

Explosive temper
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Using the more advanced weaponry earlier in the game makes it a much more enjoyable experience for me.  Sure, I'm probably a more unusual gamer, but why the developers do not make more options available for people like me is beyond my comprehension - after all, why piss people off by forcing to play the way you want them to.  Reminds me of Apple and Microsoft - if you don't play by their rules, then you don't play at all.  No wonder there are so many hackers in internet land

Art Blade

hehe :) It would be cool to always have an option in any game that goes by the description, "look, you're supposed to play the missions with the tools provided but if you want to play it differently, here you go: all tools (weapons, vehicles and so on) available, all locations accessible. You may pick what you want and still do the missions but with the tools of your choice."

nexor

I get the impression some of these devs don't have much between the ears, it seems they think the more gamers get stomped on ingame,
the higher ratings the game will get  :D

fragger

Too true. I don't get why there always has to be this set progression from low-end weaponry to high. In FC4, some of the best weapons aren't earned or made available until the flipping game is nearly over :D

I wish these people would stick their heads above the flaps of their comfy little boxes once in a while and dare to try something different. Same goes with this north-and-south rigmarole in the FC series - why not just make the whole gaming area accessible from the get-go, for effing once? Why always this restriction to half the map until you reach a certain point in the story? That's getting so freaking old. Rockstar and Eidos can make immediate access to an entire playing area w@&k, so why can't Ubi?

Maybe these things smack too much of innovation. Heaven forbid they should take a chance trying something inventive. Geez, who knows - they might actually attract more customers if they indulge in a bit of inventiveness other than simply sticking to the same routine but with substituted locations, stories and characters. But that entails risk, doesn't it? Can't afford to gamble the bottom line on being creative. It's safer to remain in the box.

Art Blade

are you being serious? ( ;) ) Something innovative, something new with UBI? Man, they create a MESS with what they know, those games still have more bugs than my neighbour's dog, and you want them to step into uncharted territory? There will be more bugs than working parts. Hell no. Let them learn first where the bugs come from (even if it takes several lifetimes) in their known territory before they advance.

PZ

Those people are just plain and simple morons.  They do the same thing with the AC series - you have to successively (unlock)many areas, which totally ruins the open world experience for me.  Why they think that restricting movements is a good idea is beyond me, but clearly they are so daft they keep on the same idiotic line of reasoning.  All it does for me is irritate me more with each game, and increasingly makes me salivate at the thought of modding to fix what those losers ruin.

They have two potentially great game series, but it seems that their pinnacle is with the second in each of the series.  FC2 and AC2 were my favorites - sure technology, graphics, and game play improved, but not on the open nature of things.  I can't now remember what they were called, but I recall having to stand on rooftops commanding assassins in some lame form of liberation - man what stupid game play, and I hated it.

nexor

They must have brains the size of the Sahara dessert, mile upon mile of nothing......... >:((

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on January 21, 2015, 06:37:18 AM
Let them learn first where the bugs come from (even if it takes several lifetimes) in their known territory before they advance.

I don't want to wait that long...

PZ

One thing I like in FC4 is the repair animation - lots better than twisting a bolt on a radiator.  Side benefit is using the torch to kill people.  >:D

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: PZ on February 04, 2015, 08:18:46 AM
Side benefit is using the torch to kill people.  >:D

Beats trying to dong a merc with a socket wrench, even if you could :-()

PZ

:laugh:

I did the "Y" mission where all you do is avoid animals while trying to retrieve your weapons.  Here's my beef about that:

• I really dislike the color scheme - makes me think my monitor has lost it's color balance control
  • The fact that your target keeps vanishing only to reappear yet further away is stupid - why not put the target at the final point and then have to find a way to get there.  The disappearing targer makes me feel like a dog that is being led to a new location using treats

The mission is easy enough to do, but just felt like a hoop to jump through to advance through the game rather than the satisfaction you might get from, say, liberating a fort.

To top it off, as I mentioned in another thread, the mission locked up after I have completed the stupid thing, which is only further annoying.

The only good part is that I can abandon it altogether and do other things.

fragger

I agree, that's a dumbass mission.

I haven't yet tried any of those dopers' other missions. Maybe this time around I'll give them a go.

mandru

Right from the start of FC4 I got the impression that Pagan Min while having a long fought vision to move Kyrat into the present day was really wanting to move on to either retirement or just stand down from his position as chief tyrant and overlord.  It's right there across a plate of Crab Rangoon he clearly states his dissatisfied feelings by saying something along the lines of "I'm not even sure who I am anymore".

I think he's overtly pleased with and almost beamingly proud of Ajay's decisive actions and over-time proven skills.  All that even though Ajay's tearing great holes out of Min and his troops stranglehold (via fear) over the Kyrati population not to mention the growing body count as we move through the game.  Min has Ajay's cellphone number and checks in on occasion and at least so far in my play through I've detected no rancor in his messages.

The fact that Min can identify that cellphone and hasn't turned it over to his IT people to Geo-Locate and handle the pest control, says a lot in itself.

I think he's definitely amused.  During the brief interview when Ajay's dumped into the prison the worst that Min comes up with is "You've been a naughty little sh!t..."  :laugh:

Speaking of things that have tickled my funny bone.  There is a huge game designer placed visual joke atop the suspension buttress at the South end of the King's Bridge as you proceed into N.E. Kyrat that's only observable with a buzzer.  Not quite an Easter Egg but only because it's the wrong time of year.  ;)

I'll provide only the punchline and let you w@&k out the riddle part of the gag.

Spoiler

"Because there's nowhere else for it to go."

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Cool, gotta check that out 8)

Nice observations about Min, mandru :-X I think you're right about him, he's not a psychotic hating machine like Vaas was. The way he gives Ajay that big hug when he first shows up somehow conveys a sense of relief - relief at finally having found a successor, and that he will at last be able to let go. Also what he says from the chopper at the end (if you don't kill him in the palace) is quite revealing.

I think he's pretty funny and cool despite being a pretty rotten character. Great job from whoever voice-acted him. Same with Longinus, I think he's actually my favourite in the game.

fragger

OK, I landed a buzzer on the south pylon of King's Bridge, but I'm not sure if I've nailed the gist of he joke, mandru. Forgive me if I'm dense:

Spoiler
Is it the chicken running back and forth because he can't cross the road? Actually, I landed the buzzer right on him and killed him... :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳