Where can I get a good gaming PC...

Started by PZ, January 02, 2015, 11:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm transferring my Picasa photos as I write - there are over 35,000 pics in the database, and will do catch-up, and then get the photos up.  The last one is a real kicker - it is one of those door tags like the "Do not disturb" tags you put on your hotel door.  This one is from MSI - the main board manufacturer - it reads "I'm not here" - naturally it is already hanging on my office door :laugh:

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Well, it was a really fun build, and I'm glad I took GKIDs advice to make a go of it.  I spent the better part of a day relaxing and checking videos online so I would not make any mistakes.  Even had plenty of snacks and a bottle of red for refreshment.

Here's the link to the web album - if you click on the first image you see, the caption should appear describing the image, but they are rather self-explanatory as well

mandru

Very nice, enjoyed the pics.  Good job PZ.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Thanks, mandru - it was a fun build.  ... and quiet!  Despite all the fans, the rig is almost completely silent.

I played a bit of FC2, FC3, and AC: Brotherhood, and the machine didn't even break a sweat.  My old rig had it's fans screaming after only a few minutes of gaming.

I'm using the SSD only for the OS, and it starts to desktop in less than 10 seconds.

Man, I really like this rig  :-X

Art Blade

fragger

That's a whizzbang setup PZ :-X Very clean-looking interior, no cables snaking back and forth all over the place - unlike the inside of my box, which looks like a can of crazy string exploded in it...

I enjoyed looking at your pics, nice album 8)

You may now consider me green with envy :-()

Art Blade

mandru

:laugh: @ fragger's can of crazy string

Liquid for cooling anywhere near ultra sensitive electronics always freaks me out.   ???

Mrs. mandru inadvertent killed our first internet access system (a Web TV module) by vigorously watering a potted plant that was located directly over the unit where it was parked in a makeshift bookcase.  Ah well, water under the bridge (so to speak).  That mishap lead to us getting our first real computer with a comparatively speedy dial up connection and the ability to play Myst.  ^-^

Do you have to monitor the fluid levels in the cooling system periodically?

The thought of an in-the-tower access port to top off coolant from time to time makes me recall some of the spills I've had trying to get motor oil back into an auto engine after performing an oil and filter change.

I don't even want to consider a drain and disconnection of fluid lines if servicing some unrelated problem should arise.  :-\\

- mandru

PZ

Thanks for the comments guys  ^-^

I spent quite a bit of time routing the wires, fragger and that the PSU is modular really helped keep it neat and ticy because I only had to use two snap-ins for extra power.

The radiator and pump are a sealed system, mandru so you never need to do anything for maintenance (wish my car worked that way)

Binnatics

I really enjoyed your slideshow PZ! Excellent Rig!! :-X

It is quite comparable with mine actually. I also have an MSI mobo, although a bit older of course, and I have the GTX780, also the asus with with Direct CUII cooling block. Excellent build, I suggest you experiment a bit on one of your favourite demanding games with different settings in the asus GPU Tweak program that surely was provided with the card. I could seriously crank up mine making a lot of difference in FPS on high settings ;)

Oh man, I am with you Fragger, I'm green up to behind my ears :-D

And an excellent job putting the whole stuff together. Weren't you afraid something would go wrong attaching the CPU and the cooler to the mobo? I always let that do by the hardware shop I buy the stuff. They mount that plus test it for only €10,- which gives me just that little insurance with these sensible parts ;)

Great w@&k, mate, a kudo well deserved :-X +1
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Thanks for the info, Binn!  Yes, there are tweak programs for the GPU and the CPU which I have yet to explore.  However, I installed ArmA3 today, maxed out all the settings and was achieving 60 fps - the system controlled fans hardly spun up at all.  The rig was still completely silent, and stayed cool.

I must say that on maxed out graphics, ArmA3 looks really good, and the game mechanics are excellent.

I wasn't too concerned about the CPU and cooler attachment because I searched for installation YouTube videos and they were very good.  I could easily follow them and the installation went very well.

Binnatics

My FPS dropped a lot when I was in a battle situation, with a bit more complex stuff going on. The GPU tweak made a big difference.
Arma 3 is amazing isn't it ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Yes, it is like none other.  Right when you fire it up, you can tell t is not the usual video game - it really has the feel of a simulation.  However, like has been said, it will take a while to get all the commands down - good thing I'm using a gaming keyboard and mouse.

fragger

Binnatics

PZ, make sure to do the side missions which will appear at the base, listening to conversations. They direct you to places where you can find the best sniper rifles and scopes. Already on the first Island, Stratis if I'm right. Once you enter the base lead by the Englishmen, Miller, you will be able to assign them and explore in free roam mode. Snipers make life easy in Arma 3. And fun!! :)

PZ

Thanks, Binn!  It is very helpful to have tips because this truly is completely open world where you'd better know what to do  :-()

I already added an AS50 mod, but it is an alpha so I'm not sure it will be available in the game as of yet.  It is really easy to add mods - all you need do is put them into a folder and point the Steam loader to it, then tick the mods you want installed - really slick system.

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

Thanks GKID  ^-^  I would not have it if you hadn't promoted the idea of me building it myself +1  :-X

Also many thanks Stiku for your obviously very well informed advice  :-X +1

OWGKID

LEGACY

mandru

It's a good thing you got your new rig completed before I mentioned typing "HAF Stacker" in a Google search and browsing the Images tab.  ;)

And you thought your old HAF case was a space hog.  :-D

"Steampunk case mod" is also an amusing Google image search.  :-X
- mandru

PZ

???  WOW is all I can say

On an aside, I rearranged my desk and am now using both the new and the old gaming PC.  I do that because I have always regretted getting rid of an old computer for it's files, installs, or something that I failed to migrate.  The two boxes are now side-by-side, and I connect to the old box when needed by terminal services, so no monitor, keyboard, etc.

If I need something on the old PC, I just fire it up and then connect via terminal services - can even copy/paste via services.

fragger

Some of those steampunk cases are amazing ??? :-X

PZ

Here's my new toy

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Contents of the box

My new gaming station

The two boxes, the small one is the new one, and the other is the one I built in 2009

This just makes me feel cozy - a television, DVD library, and gaming - how does it get better than that!

Tags:
🡱 🡳