Just purchased Black Flag on Black Friday sales!

Started by JRD, December 01, 2014, 04:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Dang!!!!  6662MB update to be downloaded at an average of 150 kB/s

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

??? That'll literally take all day at that rate!

nexor

I'll just go and relax with a 3y old KWV Brandy and plenty ice   :-D

PZ

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

:) Have fun, nexor. ACBF is a good game and an open world.

Never mind those legendary ships (your choice, you can but don't have to fight them.. they're like a boss fight only the boss uses cheats on you the likes of "you cannot inflict damage to that ship from the sides"  :D -- I finished off all four of them so it's doable but it takes time to find out their "weakness")
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Finally the update was completed at around 2:30 in the morning, lucky I didn't stick with the KWV 3y old Brandy until then, first, I don't have so much Brandy in the house, second, mrs nex would have found w@&k for her rolling pin which has nothing to do with rolling out dough........ >:D :angel:   

PZ

nex -  :-X :laugh:

AB: you mind reporting how you defeated the boss ships in a spoiler?  I tried one of them, but they were so ridiculously difficult that I didn't even try again - way too much trouble for me.

JRD

Are those legendary ships the convoys you discover by getting information from the tavern owners?

I've found a couple of them and tried to fight one but my ship wasn't upgraded enough, by the time I was reloading my guns before my sencond shot could be fired I was already fish food  ::)

PZ

It has been a long time, but I seem to recall that they were lone ships with massive armor and firepower.  The convoys are child's play compared to the legendary ships.  :-()

Art Blade

legendary ships

Spoiler
there are four of them, in each corner of the world. Don't even bother until your ship is COMPLETELY maxed out. I don't recall all details but basically go in and find out their weakness. The twin ships: focus on one, finish it off, then take care of the 2nd one. The ramming ba$t@rd: he's vulnerable to ramming, funny. The ship that you cannot harm left and right: shoot at its back.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks for the hints, AB! +1  :-X  Definitely advice to take if I go back in to the game, which I probably will one of these days.

JRD

Nice tips, Art, thank you... I will mortar their asses!!  >:D

nexor

Art Blade

nexor

I find AC4 much better than AC3 in a number of ways, the fighting is much better, even killing those BIG guys with their BIG axes is no problem, they always sucker punched me in the face.   :-() And the ship battles are also much smoother 

JRD

I haven't played it this week but as far as fighting multiple enemies goes, I remember having three or four enemies attacking me at the same time and a counter would trigger a badass killing animation. Of course, there is the issue of when you are about to finish one enemy and another one attacks you and you have to counter and don't kill the guy you were about to slay. But having bad guys coming at me at the same time was way more realistic than having them queuing to attack. It also made fighting large groups of enemies a time consuming task but fighting is so much fun in AC3 I don't mind a few extra minutes of bloodshed.  >:D >:D

Ship battles are far better in Black Flag. I like how you have to incapacitate but not sink a ship and then board and kill a certain number of enemy seaman before the remaining crew surrender. Also being able to loot sugar, rum, wood, cloth etc is very nice. The sea also looks much better and realistic with the waves passing by. It is a bit weird how you face such big swell right after you leave the harbour at a small island and never see them crashing ashore but it is still by far the best sea I have ever seen in a game in my life.

I didn't try the fleet management feature at the captain's cabin yet but I believe it is much more simple than in AC3. That trading system in AC3 was absolutely unbalanced and overcomplicated.

Art Blade

I can promise you that Assassin's Creed Unity is even smoother and better regarding movement and fighting and there is no Animus stuff, however, no sea battles, either, though.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 19, 2014, 12:11:56 PM
I can promise you that Assassin's Creed Unity is even smoother and better regarding movement and fighting and there is no Animus stuff, however, no sea battles, either, though.

I SO agree - the fighting mechanics are absolutely stellar - the best I have seen in any AC game.  :-X

Binnatics

What about Rogue? Is that the Unity edition for the low-end (PC) gamers or is it the black flag edition of Unity? I read a bad review, mean to say they spoke bad about the game, but haven't seen any comments on it here ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

stand-alone but as far as I know, consoles only.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 20, 2014, 03:06:31 PM
stand-alone but as far as I know, consoles only.

I believe that is correct - the world is much like AC4, but the focus is something different.  Can't remember exactly right now, but it appears to be an extension of the prior AC games, maybe like FC4 is an extension of FC3

Binnatics

JRD

As in all previous AC games, this game is still surprising me.  :)

I've now reached Kingston and am spending most of my time in side missions. As you who played this game before already told me the end is a bit abrupt, I am trying to extend the life span of my first playthrough as much as I can. This is certainly the kind of game that focus mostly on side activities (and some MP as well) instead of just a campaign.

[smg id=7684]

There are so many things to do.... taking forts is one of my favorite activities. The battle is fierce and after destroying all defenses you still have to assault the fort and kill the officers, break into the castle and kill the fort leader. The overall battle around you is amazing. You have to focus on your task and let the rest of your men do their duty... really cool. I already managed to take over one man 'o war and several other ships. The best ones I send to my fleet, where I am now making a lot of money. Much better design than the clumsy overcomplicated system in AC3  :-X

I've killed my first white whale too, even though harpooning is not my favorite activity.

[smg id=7683]

The sea is by far the best I've ever seen in a videogame. The waves and weather effects are amazing, apart from the rogue waves which are not as detailed as the rest of the game, I found the wave crest a bit blocky  and the foam could use some better textures but it is not a game breaker at all.  8)

[smg id=7685]

Tags:
🡱 🡳