First impressions

Started by fragger, November 18, 2014, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

So fragger and I happened to play coop together a few minutes ago. He showed up as Hurk. :)

I started the game without cheats, chose the online option, went for coop, and invited fragger over :) We liberated a fortress and an outpost together. This game is fun  :-D

[smg id=7614 type=preview align=center caption="coop 001"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Binnatics on December 30, 2014, 09:03:55 AM
Lol, you use shadowplay for your videos? That's great! I should try it as well! Thought it was too laggy to even try it, but now that I know what it's capable of, I'll have a try myself 8)

Any tips to get me started properly?

It runs pretty simply, just open the GForce Experience and hit the shadowplay button, set your options and let it run. I have it set to manual record, but I might change it over to automatic as I keep missing good stuff. Automatic mode will record a certain amount of video and dump old footage as new rolls in, until you hit the save button then it saves that video and starts a new rolling recording. That way you're always covered if something epic happens. In manual mode, you hit the button to start and stop recording as you want. I have it set to record to a 3TB drive that is mostly empty, so there's plenty of space for video.

Quote from: Art Blade on December 31, 2014, 05:19:40 AM
Reminds me, I had one lucky shot with that bolt thingy. The truck came past by surprise, I just fired a bolt in the general direction of the driver and pop, he flew out the cabin. Never been so easy lol  :laugh:

[smg id=7611 type=preview align=center caption="oopsie truck driver"]

Is that crossbow only available in co-op mode? I redeemed some Uplay points for the PvP bundle, but don't see it in any weapons screen.

Also, is the season ticket pass (or whatever it's called) worth it?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nexor

The little crossbow is in the sidearm slot D_B, I think it's somewhere in the bottom row, very close to the left, it doesn't show up as a crossbow

Art Blade

Nexor is right, I wouldn't have recognised it as such and never have found it if not for an "accident" which happened when I purchased everything there was so it was equipped and shown for customisation (like, add a scope) -- only then I realised it was that "bolt" thingy. It's called "auto-cross." It's pretty cool as it is very powerful and can fire bolts as if it was a semi-automatic pistol. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Almost forgot: D_B, about the season pass: I haven't got it and won't get it. Reading on steam, apparently it currently unlocks 1 mission. The rest is future projects. Those 5 weapons, it seems that you can unlock 2 out of 5, the remaining 3 are future projects. In other words, not worth 30€

PZ

Nice pics, guys!  :-X

Sounds like you're going to have a great time in the game now, fragger.  Can you create a save of this state of the game for future plays through?  If so, that might be worthwhile to upload to the downloads section for those that might wish to bypass the main missions.

mandru

Wow!  What an epic read.  It's taken me the better part of three days to get through this entire thread mostly because I kept getting lost in all those YouTube related links every time I viewed one of the videos posted.  I'm seeing some really attractive stuff to this game and some horribly bad deal busters.  :-\\

I've seen game play opinion among a few of you go from full on slam the game down and walk away pissed (maybe never to return) de-ice from venomous  and change over to posting on favorite things that are being revealed through perseverance. 

I know there are rats and I've seen some tortoises but it seems that every other creature may as well be an Alien face sucker trying to plant a queen in your lungs.  ???

And from one of Art's recent posts he mentions an attack by ladybirds!  :o  Though actually if it was Ladybirds as in Ray Floyd's 60's Las Vegas all girl topless band...  Well in other days I wouldn't have minded a swarm attack of that sort.

These huge update downloads are a crippler.  I have a very zippy cable internet connection (30.6mbps/6.2mbps (upload)) but from what I understand my account is limited to 10 GB per month and while I don't download movies I do use Crunchyroll to watch the best of each season's anime series as they are released.  If I remember right there was one download mentioned (6+ GB?) that would gulp down over half my month's allotment of bandwidth.  It sounds like it would take me a few month after loading the game from disc (forget about a full Steam download  ::) ) to complete downloading all the patches just to start playing.

I'll need to speak to my provider to get the exact contract details.

Before I make any further decisions on this FC4 let me verify one thing.  fragger had made a comment about getting the command line edits to w@&k and Art has responded positively to this info.  Is this actually the case?

I prefer to play a game all the way through without cheats other than selecting Easy mode and Aim Assist if it is available.  Once I've done that then I like to kick over into rampage mode and thrash everything that can be thrashed and burn all the rest.  I actually played through FC3 twice before enabling a shortcut with command line edits.

I'm still undecided on this one but after witnessing the trials and triumphs from many of you guys it's brought me a long ways away from a firm position against it.  Command line edits could possibly be a big step in the "Buy" direction for me.

Not to mention that some of the weapons I've seen used in game are just too damn cool to ignore.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

first off, I was joking when I mentioned ladybirds. I said that in a context that almost every animal you encounter will attack you, even those that in real life wouldn't attack you (they'd much rather stay away or flee) so I jokingly said I was even expecting ladybirds to attack me.

The 6.7GB is not the download size but unpacked. When you download it, it's about 2.7GB if I'm not mistaken. If you use steam, you'll get the latest version, no additional patches. I don't know about other ways of purchasing it as in how many patches will still be needed and how big they are. I got my game already patched to 1.5.0 and the 1.6.0 patch (PC only) which was recently released was rather small.

The command line parameters seem to w@&k only to some extent, like the skip intro movies, while god mode and unlimited ammo apparently only w@&k when editing the gamerprofile.xml adding those cheats there but I'm just one of the few who managed to get them to w@&k.

Without cheats, the game can be quite annoying because of those supernatural things like demons during the main missions and generally, during free-roam, those animal attacks, most notably eagles and not to forget, rhinos and honey badgers and boars and tigers and wild dogs and wolves and demon fish and poisonous snakes and leopards and yaks..

I am enjoying it tremendously with cheats enabled. Without cheats, only when playing co-op because if you have a friend to play it with, you can take care of each other's back.

With all that said, I'd say give it a go when it's on sale.

Art Blade

erm
I may be mistaken.. stiku is downloading at the moment and says 21GB  ??? ???? But when got it, it was a rather quick download. Strange..

QuoteRECOMMENDED:
OS: Windows® 7 (SP1) / Windows® 8 / Windows® 8.1 / (64-bit only)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-2400S or 4.0 GHz AMD FX-8350 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon R9 290X or better (2 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX-compatible
Additional Notes: Supported video cards at the time of release: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better, GeForce GTX 700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, Radeon R9 series.

I may be a little confused with three new games and patches for all three :angel: :-D

Binnatics

Funny to read your ways of doubt around buying FC4. I can relate to a growing desire of trying that new stuff out. But I am sure I will wait until special sale, cause I have so many other things on my list, game-wise. With GTA V I will be busy a couple of months probably, and then I'm already deep into ArmA 3. I might consider to go back to that game once I get enough of Los Santos. Arma 3 is a title to dig deep into. It has amazing possibilities.
Mandru, I should assure myself this 10Gb limit is still active on my deal if I were you. It sounds so 2014 to me :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Binn, my last new game was FC3.  So It's been a while and I'm pretty fussy about buying only the right games that give fair value.

Art, I figured the ladybird comment was in jest which was why I went a bit silly with it.  ;)

Actually in 1969 I lived in a portion of the county East of Seattle that was heavily invested in the lumber trade and there was an massive infestation of gypsy moths that left unchecked would have destroyed any profit from harvest and sale of the abundant deciduous trees (leafs not needles) if left unchecked.  We were pretty much at ground zero for the epicenter for the gypsy moth infestation.  Every alder tree on our property was slowly being wrapped up in the gauzy webbing of the moth nests as they grew and expanded the safety net they deploy to reach more of the trees' leaves.

An emergency situation was declared and I don't know where the governing officials got them but billions upon billions of ladybird (we called them ladybugs) were air dropped as if we were being crop dusted.

Ladybirds became ubiquitous.  There were several weeks that summer where you could not walk outside without them flying into your hair or mouth and they literally swarmed in under the doors of our home which reeked with the stink of inevitably stepped on ladybugs.  Yes. they stink when crushed.

It seemed very like an attack of the ladybirds.  :)

It is nice to know that games bought and downloaded through Steam are downloaded pre-patched.  I just wish it was any company other than Steam and Valve.  They were the sole reason I gave up on the Half life series after Half life2 Episode 1.  :(
- mandru

Art Blade

same here, I boycotted them because they made that game with a mandatory online part which I was absolutely not willing to support.

fragger

mandru, I do think that if you liked playing FC3 (the free-roaming, havoc-wreaking, non-story parts of it) you will have loads of fun with this. The main missions do blow it is true, so I think Art's approach is probably best - try to get them out of the way ASAP and then enjoy the serious fun that this game can provide.

I fully understand your balking at the volume of updates. I too am on a 10GB per month plan and FC4 made a pretty good dent in that - but mine was a store-bought game, not an online purchase. The game was also brand-new then so the updates were spaced apart in time. Buying today would result in an update avalanche, and if bought online could easily overwhelm your monthly allowance. It may be better for you if your bought the game from a store, then you would largely have only the updates to worry about in terms of DL allowance. Largely - there will still be an allowance hit even so during install-activation. I don't know how much, but I think it would be substantially less than a full online game DL (don't quote me, I'm no expert).

It would be nice if Ubisoft could take a leaf out of Steam's book and allow you to turn automatic updating on/off and let you pause/resume downloading of purchased products at your leisure so that you could plan out your own DL schedule, but this is Ubisoft we're talking about - the stuff-it-down-the-customer's-throat kings.

fragger

As Art mentioned earlier, we had a fun little co-op session last night. It was about 1:00am my time when we started and I had to w@&k the next day so we couldn't play for long, but we had great fun with it for an hour or so. I wasn't aware that I was Hurk because naturally I couldn't see myself :-() I'm not sure who Art was, he might have been Sabal but I couldn't be sure. He was a Golden Path guy of some sort.

There was a bit of a glitch at one point. Art commandeered a lorry and asked me aboard but I couldn't see it. All I could see was him standing in the road. He blew it up and I saw the explosion but that was all - no debris or wreckage or anything. Other than that the game behaved very well. It's cool to have one guy driving an AT while the other mans the gun, and even in a vehicle without a mounted weapon, one player can drive while the other can fire a sidearm from the passenger seat.

I don't have a comms headset or even any sort of a mike so we had to text each other in-game, which was not only cumbersome but seriously hampered any tactics we might have tried to pull off. I'm determined to get something tomorrow though. That was the first co-op game I've had in about twelve years and I'd forgotten just how entertaining it could be. I hope you're happy Art, you went and got me hooked :-()

I can see a four-way co-op game of FC4 being a very fun affair :-X

fragger

Quote from: fragger on December 31, 2014, 02:19:10 AM
There are tons of weapons in FC4... I'm not sure how many weapons there are, but quite a few more than in FC3. Lots to play with :-X

I had a look when I was in a trading screen. Unless I'm mistaken, there are 54 different types of guns/launchers/bows: 13 Sidearms, 30 (standard) Weapons and 11 Signatures. In addition to these, there are also explosive and fire arrows, throwing knives, baits (sort of a proxy weapon) and Molotovs. The C4s, mines and grenades can be toggled between normal and "sticky" mode once you've purchased the Sticky function for them. Then there are several types of mounted weapons - a couple of of machine gun types, a grenade launcher and a mortar.

And of course, there's your good old takedown knife. And a Harpoon gun which fires retrievable harpoons if you DL the "Hurk's Redemption" DLC, which I've yet to do.

Note: A few of the weapons only appear in the game once you've unlocked them with Uplay Rewards points. But just by installing and playing the initial game you should acquire enough Reward points to get access to them.

Elephants and any road vehicles could be considered weapons too, I guess.

As in FC3, some of the Signatures are modified versions of the Standards, such as the Shredder (as in FC3, an enhanced Vector .45 ACP) and the Buzzsaw (an enhanced MG42 - and incidentally, during WWII the MG42 really was nicknamed the "Buzzsaw". Bit of pointless trivia).

Some of the weapons are fanciful, such as the semi-automatic crossbow, the "flammenwerfer" flame thrower (looks the same as the one in FC3, but the genuine historical flammenwerfer had back-mounted fuel tanks) and the Lk-1018 guided rocket launcher (modelled on the Carl Gustav, but a real CarlG doesn't fire guided rockets as it is essentially a shoulder-mounted recoil-less anti-tank rifle).

Definitely lots to pay with :-X

Art Blade

Of course I am happy, fragger  :-() You're going to be as well  :-()

I have got the vanilla FC4 and bought one sidearm (an automatic pistol that fires a burst of three rounds) from u-play using those u-play points, it costs 30 which indeed you will acquire during the game. In my game under "progress" there are details regarding what you unlocked and collected, among which weapons, and it tells me that there are 64 different weapons. Plus grenades, C-4, mines and all that.

If you buy the game via steam, steam will take care of the updates so you can overrule u-play's bad manners  :) Also, steam will deliver a fully updated game so you don't have to keep overriding the game with individual patches, making it less of a download orgy.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on December 31, 2014, 10:31:05 AMCan you create a save of this state of the game for future plays through?  If so, that might be worthwhile to upload to the downloads section for those that might wish to bypass the main missions.

It would seem that the savegames contain code that is linked to your u-play account so you can't do what we did in FC2, at least not without some file editing first.

fragger

Talk about the fun police... ::)

fragger

(For those who have completed the game) Did you know there is an alternate ending?

READ THE SPOILER TITLES CAREFULLY BEFORE OPENING THEM!
Art edited this because of screen size..

This is a GENUINE SPOILER for those who haven't played through - game ending details revealed. DON'T LOOK if you don't want to know yet!!!

When you finally confront Min, he goes into a monologue before he sits down at the table and starts eating. Then your pistol comes up. If you don't actually fire and wait for about 8-10 seconds, the pistol will lower and the alternate ending will begin.

A similar thing will actually happen when you go to kill either Amita or Sabal. I chose to go after Sabal, but instead of shooting him, I waited for those 8-10 seconds, after which my pistol lowered and I (Ajay) told Sabal to just "go". He then left.

Did anyone kill Sabal? I'm curious as to what came next if you did. I didn't kill him, and then got sent by Amita on a mission to defend a town from an artillery attack. Did you get this mission too after killing Sabal, or did something else happen? I was looking on You Tube and there was a scene with Amita which I never saw in my playthrough, where she is rounding up villagers' kids to force them into the Golden Path. Anyone see this in their game?

If you HAVE FINISHED the game but don't want to know the ACTUAL DETAILS of the alternate ending, DON'T LOOK HERE! You can still view the first spoiler, it tells you how to trigger the alternate ending but not what it actually is.

You and Min go outside and he leads you to a crypt, which you enter alone to place Ajay's Mom's ashes. When you come out, Min is on a chopper telling you that Kyrat is now yours and he flies away.

----------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: If you have finished the game and wish to respond, please be mindful of those who haven't played through yet and maybe put your responses in titled spoilers. If you don't know how to add a title to a spoiler:

Click the Spoiler icon.

When this appears in your edit window:

{spoiler}{/spoiler}      (but with square brackets, of course. I used these { } here so I wouldn't create another spoiler).

Add an "=" after the first spoiler word and type in your title, so that it will look like this:

{spoiler=Your title}  contents of the reply  {/spoiler}      (but once again, with square brackets).

:)

mandru

There is a vid on Youtube that shows a quick path to finish the game in 15 minutes.  It was kind of like an alternate beginning.

Total Plot Twist - Slam dunking Mama's Ashes. Quick reveals and happy family reunion

I saw a video on Youtube where there were player choices made that looked like it was still in the part before the tutorial even starts while rummaging around the castle.  He did not attempt escape.

Instead of finding a way to escape the player returned to the table at a key moment and things went a whole new direction.  Back story plot reveals, the trip to the crypt and concluding with a beaming Daddy climbing on the chopper looking back at sonny and joyously declaring "Let's go shoot some F'n Guns!"

About 15 minutes and the end credits roll.  :laugh:

I'm not sure how it would this route would change things if there's free roam after that.  A possible "Screw the storyline, let's get straight into the fun stuff!"

Also, I've not seen it mentioned but is there free roam after the conclusion of the game?
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on January 01, 2015, 04:32:56 AM
It would seem that the savegames contain code that is linked to your u-play account so you can't do what we did in FC2, at least not without some file editing first.

Dang, that's too bad!  It seems that Ubishit will do everything in their power to ensure that you will only play the game their way.

Art Blade

There is free-roam after the story.

fragger:
in reply to your spoiler questions

I chose to play Amita's missions only and actually shot Sabal. I had to defend the town, yes. No, I didn't see that Amita forced kids. And my ending: I had no choice. I waited but the game fired the pistol for me at Min.

And something you may not know
special secret special ending

If you let Min live and he takes the chopper, shoot the chopper down ("the king is dead" will pop up). When you can, go to the crash site and pick over Min's body to retrieve some 300k+ cash and his golden pen (worth 300k+)  :-D

TheStranger

Damn. I need a new graphic card to play Far Cry 4  :'(

Art Blade

Fragger and I managed to pull off an extended coop session with voice chat  :-D

[smg id=7652 type=preview align=center caption="coop 002"]
[smg id=7653 type=preview align=center caption="coop 003"]
[smg id=7654 type=preview align=center caption="coop 004"]
[smg id=7655 type=preview align=center caption="coop 005"]
[smg id=7656 type=preview align=center caption="coop 006"]

TheStranger

So how is co-op? As cool as in FC3?

Tags:
🡱 🡳