First impressions

Started by fragger, November 18, 2014, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Man, you had me worried.........
Glad it's sorted mate, now I will consider getting it    8)

Art Blade

glad you got that sorted out, mate :)

Then again, The UBI forum is full with people who have key mapping problems. You're not alone with that. Only "solution" so far is to use the default keys.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I had a little bit of a play, but without being able to map the controls to the way I like to play I'm not enjoying it. I find the default mapping very awkward (WASD to move around, and the usual other defaults) and it doesn't suit my playing style. Until they get that sorted, I'm holding off on playing any further.

I had to go through the intro again which ends with me in the bad guy's palace where I'm supposed to explore, for what I don't know yet. I get the feeling I'm going to have to attempt some sort of breakout, even though I'm not being held prisoner as such. But I quickly got discouraged with the clumsy default controls (clumsy for me) and gave up. Upon leaving, there is a "Save and quit" option, but it didn't save, just spat me back out into the main menu with no "Resume" or "Continue" option visible. So I'll have start all over and go through the intro again next time, it seems.

Graphically it looks good, but nothing terribly revolutionary. Mind you, the game is pretty demanding and I had to drop all options down to low or medium and turn off anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion to get a decent frame rate - even then it's still a tad jerky. On a super-duper rig I can see it looking pretty nice. The voice acting is good on the part of the bad guy, Pagan Min. He's seems to be a pretty nasty piece of w@&k, kind of like a more cultured and well-spoken version of Vaas in a pink suit.

That's all for now. Until the keymapping is working properly I'm not going to bother playing - I just can't handle those default controls.

Art Blade

What a bummer  :(

I sure hope that they'll fix that soon. Nothing worse than a new game that doesn't w@&k the way it is supposed to. Well done, yet again, UBI >:(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

What a crappy start of the day Fragger, it is the same s#!t over and over again. Do we expect different? 8-X
I must confess though, that I look forward to your adventures and it's an extra motivation to quickly come checking OWG again :-D
Same goes for all the bad news concerning ACU PC release Art is suffering with.

I know how you feel guys, I've had my portion of malfunctioning technology already this month, rebuilding my dad's PC.  :'(
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

Well, that makes it definite for me, I won't be rushing out this weekend to pick it up. Like Fragger, I use custom key mapping, and if I can't then I don't play the game. Once they get that fixed, I might think about it.

Sorry for the hassles Fragger, sounds like you had as much fun as I did with FC3 at the beginning. Most of that was my memory setup, sure, but I had a fair share of hassle with Uplay as well.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: fragger on November 19, 2014, 04:11:19 AM
Cheers chaps, but I found the prob.

After several hours of fruitless searching online, I ran into Art at Uplay ...

Art is at Uplay  ???

Interestingly the problem affected FC3, which also gives the impression that FC4 is just an extension of the prior game.

Funny thing about Ubi - I like to play with Y axis inverted, which of course is an option in AC5.  However, if you do any kind of aiming with ranged weapons, the Y axis reverts to the normal default, which of course is a great disadvantage to me.  I don't know why they even both offering the option to invert Y if it does not carry through the entire game.

I too will be very interested in your impressions, fragger.

Art Blade

Erm.. I wasn't really at u-play when fragger "ran into me" but online using u-play.

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on November 19, 2014, 08:41:52 AM
Erm.. I wasn't really at u-play when fragger "ran into me" but online using u-play.

Too late, Mr. Blade... too late     :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Binnatics

PZ

fragger

:laugh: Quibbles, quibbles...

I forgot to say thanks for the heads-up about Voice Chat Art, so - thanks for pointing me in the right direction there :-D :-X

I don't get why the keymapping won't w@&k. I've used the exact same control setup with all three of the previous Far Cries, never been an issue. One would have thought it would have been a case of simply retaining the coding routine from previous games. As they say in the classics, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Oh well - the next patch then... maybe...

One thing I did notice in the game's setup menu was that many of the HUD elements can now be turned on or off, such as the detection meter, hit indicator, ammo indicator, crouch indicator and a number of other things, so you can customise your HUD to an extent. Doing without the detection meter could at least make the game a tiny bit more FC2-ey. I don't know if you can still tag bad guys or not, I didn't get that far, but I think you can.

Art Blade

welcome :)

And yes.. one would indeed think.. yet apparently one isn't the same as the ones from UBI. :-D

Dweller_Benthos

Penny Arcade mentions playing the game a bit, among other things, in today's news post.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/11/19/helms-deep

Scroll down a bit. Anyway, though that's not especially an in depth review, they seemed to have fun with it. I like the bit about hopping on a four wheeler and immediately driving off a cliff.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

nexor

Although it took about five and a half hours to install including uplay patch update, the game took off with a bang, so far no glitches which I'm grateful for.
I'm not much of a game reviewer but will post some pics and clips soon, one thing I'm glad about, the bad guys are "not" wearing bulletproof vests   :-D

Art Blade

Binnatics

The guy commenting @ Penny Blade is using a type of English that's hard to understand for me. I got most of it though, he seems a guy that plays a lot of games. What I didn't get is why he thinks FC4 is an RPG ????

PZ

Looking forward to your stories, nex!   :-X

fragger

I've seen a number of posts at the Ubi forum complaining about the keymapping. A lot of players like to use the mouse buttons to move forward and shoot, as I do. It seems that as soon as any control is remapped to a mouse button, not only are the MBs not recognised but some of the other keymapping gets screwed up as well.

Ubi replied that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Fingers crossed...

nexor

Like all the other games I play, I try to uniform all the keys, other than the mouse buttons being used for shooting and one or two other functions the mouse is used only for direction.
And thus far the game is running smooth, for which I'm glad.

nexor

Just did the first tower, so far the game mechanics are the same as in FC3, it only looks a bit different, which is not a bad thing seeing that many other game devs do the same, so I would stick my neck out and say FC4 is FC3 with a different body, grill, headlights/taillights and mag wheels, oh and one other thing, watch out for the eagles, I almost saw my a$$  8-X  :-D

Binnatics

JRD

One thing I want to do in this game is to ride an elephant into an outpost and run mercs over.   >:D

That and a fly by with the gyrocopter and a grenade launcher!  >:D

Apart from that, I am as excited for FC4 as I am to replay FC3... which is just a little  8-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳