Surface Pro 3

Started by PZ, October 04, 2014, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I also agree, and cheers PZ :)

Thanks for the link to that video mandru, it is fascinating stuff. But it doesn't really do what I would like it to do. It's hard to explain without delving into the software I use, but I go into it a bit here (I didn't want to keep sidetracking the topic with a longish post, despite PZ's magnanimous comment :-D)

mandru

I see what you mean.

Just hypothetically...

It occurs to me fragger that since the FlexSense peripheral works in layers and a system like PZ's Surface is a full computer you could run you graphics program using precise numeric inputs through the keyboard and mouse without using the touchscreen attributes.  Then it could be set it up so that you have one of the FlexSense deeper layers (a designated corner lift) displaying your TV feed.  That way you don't have to turn around to look at you TV set torquing your back and neck to see it.

At least (with my TV being set up behind me) that's what I have to do every time something comes on that catches my attention.  ;)

Ya, I know.  I talk and think big when the real truth is I'm too cheap to throw a way a pair of socks when there's only a hole in one of the toes and I rarely ever go anywhere I have to take off my shoes.  :laugh:

As if I'd run out and buy a piece of hardware in Beta development (and still seeking funding) for the convenience of not having to look over my shoulder at TV commercials.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on October 10, 2014, 08:46:38 AM
... I'm too cheap to throw a way a pair of socks when there's only a hole in one of the toes and I rarely ever go anywhere I have to take off my shoes.  :laugh:

On that line of thought, I have perfectly good computers that I do not use anymore because technology has improved.  A couple of netbooks (remember those),  three slates, and quite a few desktops.  All are functional, but because the new technology is so much better and allows me to do so much more, I had to retire them to the pasture where they spend their days in nonfunctional bliss.

Art Blade

apart from the one PC that blew up while I was using it, what you said about your hardware PZ is true for all my PCs. I gave up on them when new games required better hardware or this one, when I had a very nice opportunity to get a lot better hardware for a very reasonable price.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm afraid that we're doomed to continually spend money improving our lot in technology life

Back on track, I'm using my wife's Surface with keyboard and pen.  I'm using the keyboard to type (on-screen keyboards are ridiculous), my fingers to scroll the page, and the pen to precisely click the links to new messages.

On an aside, the MS handwrite recognition software is excllent.  I can use the pen to write on the screen, which then translates to type as I write quite efficiently.

mandru

When using the Surface with a stylus does the Touch functionality become disabled to avoid having the side of your hand on the screen misread as an instruction?
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on October 11, 2014, 11:09:09 AM
When using the Surface with a stylus does the Touch functionality become disabled to avoid having the side of your hand on the screen misread as an instruction?

Yes, the pen is actually a Bluetooth device that is paired with the Surface.  Once the tip of the stylus approaches the screen, touch is disabled.  However, it seems that it works best with current MS products.  My problem is that the heel of my hand tends to land first and then the tip approaches.  It has been a training process to bring the tip of the pen down first.  Once you start writing, there is no problem with your hand doing anything unintentional until it approaches the edge of the screen at which point the start menu can come up.

mandru

- mandru

fragger

Interesting. I wonder how I'd go with that. I've always had a weird way of holding a pen, and in my early school years my teachers were always trying to correct my twisted-around style of grip but I was just never comfortable holding a pen the "correct" way - and as if it matters how you hold the pen anyway. I would have thought that knowing how to structure the language properly and learning the correct usage of grammar and punctuation and so forth was the important thing, not how the words actually get onto the page. But anyway, the way I hold a pen means that the top of the main knuckle where my pinkie meets my hand is the part that makes contact first, with the top of the pen pointing away from me and to my right (I'm right-handed). I know it's odd but it works for me. I think I developed that way because I've always been a drawer (one who draws that is, not part of a cabinet :-()) and I was drawing way before I started school. Holding the pen or pencil that way enabled me to better see what I was doing. Later that same type of grip followed me into paint, but the different angle of attack required for painting on an upright canvas allowed me to not have to bring my hand into contact with the surface, so smearing the paint with my hand was never a problem.

If I were using a stylus on something like a Surface I'd probably struggle to get into the habit of bringing the pen down first - unless I mount the Surface on an easel :-D

Art Blade

mandru

Here's a heads up for Surface Pro purchasers.

There has been a product recall announced for the AC power cords sold with the Microsoft Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro 3 computers sold from 2013 through early 2015.  With usage the power cords in question can cause burns from overheating, cause shocks, and shorts, or even catch fire.

For a free (safety improved) cord replacement Consumer Reports has listed a phone number 855-327-7780 or you can also go to microsoft.com and click on "Support" then "type power cord recall" to arrange for a new cord.

I hope that helps and maybe you can avoid some of those scenes from the movie Backdraft.
- mandru

PZ

Many thanks, mandru - this applies to both my wife's and my SP3s  +1  :-X

It was really easy to get the cords sent - just went to the location you mentioned, put in my info and all I had to do was click my machines - the cords are already on their way.

Art Blade

nice one mandru :) I think you're going to be our new tech support guy  :-()

PZ

Indeed!  mandru keeps his finger on the pulse of technology.

On an aside, my power cords have already shipped via FedEx!  In reading the description of the problem, where the actual cord part enters the plug piece is the weak link in the system. Evidently it is weak enough to break if the wire is pulled too hard, or twisted too much, neither of which occurs in our case. The charger units simply site there are are never moved.

mandru

Thanks but I'd hate to ride on stolen valor as there's quite a few of you guy who are real techies in the group who in comparison make me look like a tech parrot.  I see something that might be amusing or helpful to site members and I get it posted.  It's instinctive like a squirrel stashing acorns or something.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

fragger

:-D

It's still very much appreciated mate :)

PZ

Absolutely  :-X  I already have my replacement cords on the way, and other than from mandru, still have not heard a peep about this recall from anywhere else.

Tags:
🡱 🡳