DayZ (standalone)

Started by Art Blade, April 29, 2014, 04:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

that's got to be a zombie. I reckon no one dares to find out how far one may swim because it's likely to get you killed one way or another in the process but you can swim.

Able, nice find on the explosives box, excellent :-() :-X

And  :laugh: @ white flag :laugh: :-X I'm almost glad for you that you didn't take any screenies because it's a lot easier to deny that interaction ever to have happened  :laugh:
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Abletile

It's a zombie!  :o

I'm not sure how far you can swim but BinnZ swam to a small island on one of his spawns which must have been about 800mtr off shore. 8)
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

Abletile

Quote from: Art Blade on May 14, 2014, 10:50:21 AM

I'm almost glad for you that you didn't take any screenies because it's a lot easier to deny that interaction ever to have happened  :laugh:

:laugh: He's not too bad for a Froggy. He wanted to add me on steam so we'll see how that goes. Met up with him again today, seems he's a bit accident prone. He 'accidentally' managed to drink some disinfectant so we spent ages looking for charcoal tabs whilst he was puking his guts up  :shocked

He's all good now though.  :laugh:

Art Blade

:laugh: Keep him away from your after shave or he might drink that, too :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Today I joined the server Binnatics and Abletile were on just after poor Abletile had died for whatever reasons. I was about 10km away from them, Binnatics had to leave early so I was left with one goal: Meet up with Abletile. He got killed again, and again, then a power outage made him disconnect, at some point he lost his character and all the good gear only because of some bug which caused him to respawn as a Bambi.. He had a bad day, I have to say, it appeared to be as if he was on a dying rather than killing spree. However, in the end we met, then he was fighting desync problems which nearly got him killed -- I watched a zombie going right after him which he couldn't see but I took out the zombie before any harm was done. However, my ricocheting bullets from my M4 on full auto attacking that zombie nearly had Able have a coronary. :-D

I myself had to kill probably 20 zombies just getting to that town and one of which jumped me and both ruined some of my gear (including a FNX pistol I had saved for Able) and made me bleed ??? There appear to have been changes made on the server files because zombies now sound different and we think that there are quite a few more than there used to be.

Well, my character is still alive, it's a fortnight now :)

I keep seeing and running past that radio tower a lot, recently. You can barely see it on the horizon, centre
[smg id=6898 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 060"]
[smg id=6899 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 061"]
I like the open world on a sunny day
[smg id=6900 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 062"]
Reaching Dolina where Able is gearing up
[smg id=6901 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 063"]
[smg id=6902 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 064"]
And here we leave the server again.
[smg id=6903 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 065"]

Binnatics

Able's first death yesterday was so weird; In the upcoming screeny you can see him running towards me through my sniper scope. Maybe 10 secs later he gets attacked by two zombies and when I look again I see him bleeding, standing next to one zombie still alive (err, undead) that keeps beating him. Meanwhile I hear him say through Steam Voice that he's getting a timed-out message from the server and is pulled out the game. He's still trying to check what's happening and I see him finally fall down on the floor and see the zombie run off.
When I checked his body (Able still thought he'd be alive since he left the server alive) I couldn't see most of his gear, and what was left was almost all ruined. I could only save 2 60 round M4 magazines.

Here's Able, a minute before his unfair death:
[smg id=6919]

This shot is from probably a week ago, after we went to the western boarder of the map.
[smg id=6904]

Art and Able seen through the Long Range Scope attached to the Mosin. First time I took a good look through that thing. Now that I have some experience with it, I find the scope a bit limited. The binoculars is far more powerful. But I guess it's realistic that you cannot shoot a target almost a kilometre away. Anyway, all in all I think the Mosin is a nice toy, and if you have a fully equipped FNX at hand that kind of toy is very welcome, but for good surviving it's not adding much. After my hopefully-not-to-come-soon next death I will probably focus on the SKS again, or the M4.
[smg id=6905]

The next two shots are made when we explore the darkness around the airfield. Art and Able have pistol flashlights attached to their FNX. I did not have that because back then I tried to get a good Amphibia S gun prepared. That gun has good silenced shooting like the sporter S but it lacks killing power and the possibility to add other useful attachments, such as a pistol flashlight :-D
[smg id=6906]

[smg id=6907]

The Radio tower
[smg id=6908]

Another billboard
[smg id=6909]

My trip to the South Eastern island
[smg id=6910]

On reaching the island I saw this beautiful shipwreck. There was no loot in it though :(
[smg id=6911]

This lighthouse can be found on the small island. Later in the game Able and I found one on the South coast and there Able found out that the light is really turning round :o Nice detail. Wonder if it will shine at night ;)
[smg id=6912]

I went to Chapaevsk with Able, attracted to the promised amounts of clothing. Unfortunately that's where Able found his death after a few days of collecting stuff...
[smg id=6913]

This is where he fell off :-\\
[smg id=6914]

And this is what he looked like after that unfortunate fall
[smg id=6915]

I managed to take almost all his important gear with me and Able tried to run around the entire map to get to his corpse, as a freaking bambie. He outran the zombies (funny view must that have been ^-^) but a freaking bandit gave him the bullet somewhere close to his destination. So I grabbed all his stuff except his fully kitted M4 (it got lost due to server restart) and went North. On my way North I saw this ruin:
[smg id=6916]

And close to it this fallen chopper:
[smg id=6917]

Finally I met him, together with his new-made Friend from France. We could exchange goodies and left for upcoming adventures 8)
[smg id=6918]
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

nice pics and story, Binnatics :) Man, there's a lot of starting over going on, isn't there.

Binnatics

I am currently about 18 hours alive in-game. I checked my total playing time at steam. So I am doing fine atm 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Took a closer look at Able's new appearance. Nice coat!! ;)
[smg id=6920]
...the Mosin can be such a nice weapon 8)

I came across some fine lecture ;)
[smg id=6921]

Able's self made backpack. Looks cool :-X
[smg id=6922]

The sea:
[smg id=6923]

A Hummer
[smg id=6924]

Cold Sunset
[smg id=6925]

Art Blade

Last night I was a bit tired and had a nap, and another nap, got up to sit down at the PC desk still half slumbering and fell asleep in my chair. I woke up early this morning and thought it was just fine because the servers would be empty so I fired up the game. Turned out that Abletile had gone through more or less the same routine except he was already playing for a few hours :-D So we met up in the south and have been exploring the area there. This is just a little break from gaming, enjoying a coffee and all that before going back in again. My character is still doing fine and I've got some gear I needed, like a new vest and a new FNX pistol and of course, having blown through quite a couple of rounds when dealing with those pesky zombies, MOAR AMMO  :-() I'm good now, loaded and armed to the teeth, we're ready for some more exploration.

Here a few screenies, one of which shows a traffic sign that I found amusing, it reads "ELECTROZAVODSK CENTRE 1" which means that particular city is big enough to have signs telling you where the city centre is.  :) I had heard stories and watched vids about Electro so I wanted to see it myself, preferably without those infamous bandits swarming the area.

Always raining, 90% of the time, I bloody hate it.
[smg id=6928 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 066"]
So this is why it's called Electro
[smg id=6929 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 067"]
Bloody zombies everywhere and sometimes they come in packs. They disappear rather quickly so you only see two of 'em.
[smg id=6930 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 068"]
IF the sun is out, it DOES look really nice :)
[smg id=6931 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 069"]
Here, to the city centre 1km  :-D
[smg id=6932 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 070"]
I'm just glad that I've got weapons and a lot of ammo. Much better than boxing them  ;)
[smg id=6933 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 071"]
Sometimes rooftops can be accessed. It's all good unless you drop off :-()
[smg id=6934 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 072"]
[smg id=6935 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 073"]
This is part of the harbour of Electro. The water looks pretty damn clean ???
[smg id=6936 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 074"]
So that's the lighthouse and that island. Nice :)
[smg id=6937 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 075"]
[smg id=6938 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 076"]
Found a nice hotel by the seaside in Chernogorsk.
[smg id=6940 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 077"]
There is a church you can walk around in, even the ceiling is painted with religious motives.
[smg id=6943 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 078"]
Near Balota. There are swamps with military vehicles..
[smg id=6946 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 079"]
[smg id=6947 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 080"]
..and there are places that look rather peaceful..
[smg id=6949 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 081"]
..but peace never lasts long in these parts. Abletile taking care of zombies while I took care of capturing the moment.
[smg id=6950 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 082"]
Between tents at the Southern airstrip. Abletile enjoys himself so much that he's rolling around on his back  :laugh:
[smg id=6951 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 083"]

Abletile

Well I had the weirdest death yet!  :D
I was fully loaded and I met up with BinnZ at the SW Airfield. I could see him on the runway plus there were 2 Zombies stood frozen still. I took a bead on the first one with my M4 (Acog sight 4x magnification 60 round mag). I shot but the Zombie didn't drop :o Then I realised they must be glitched as they didn't respond to the gunshot. Next thing I get a message on screen saying I had lost connection with the server, the administrator would be notified and indeed I had a lobby screen. BinnZ was telling me through steam chat that on his screen that there was a Z chomping happily on my face. I wasn't worried as I had left the server, or so I thought........
On respawning however I was a Bambi! WTF?

I tried to run back to my gear/corpse. I outran loads of Z's including one occasion I had 6 of them chasing me, it was a bit like doing the 'Conga'  :laugh:
Then when I was 2/3 of the way there, I popped into a house to find a drink/food, and I was promptly shot dead by an unknown player!
A very buggy evening followed with multiple exits and always spawning as a bambi! :D
Finally I was able to exit and reload as a saved character. I could only find a bright yellow coat at this stage but I did have a Mosin plus 24 rounds for it. I also found the items required for crafting a backpack ( rope, burlap sack and sticks) 8)
[smg id=6926 type=preview align=center caption="My Newly Crafted Backpack"]

I met up with Art who helped me out then next day I was off to green mountain.
[smg id=6927 type=preview align=center caption="On my way to Green Mountain"]

The adventure continues................ ;)

Abletile

Here are a few random screenies from my continued adventure.............. :-D

[smg id=6939 type=preview align=center caption="My latest incomplete character"]

As Arnie once said "Get to the Chopper"

[smg id=6941 type=preview align=center caption="Rusty Helo!"]

Close up of military Zombie......(scary!). I now have a fully equipped green M4 again  ;)
[smg id=6942 type=preview align=center caption="Soldier Zombie"]

A rabbit at the airfield by the jail.

[smg id=6944 type=preview align=center caption="I tought I saw a wabbit!"]

Graphic glitch
[smg id=6945 type=preview align=center caption="Floating fire extinguisher"]

Here is Art, investigating the downed chopper
[smg id=6948 type=preview align=center caption="Art looking inside the wreckage"]
You can also see that I now have 3 fully loaded ammo boxes (over 1200 rounds of M4 ammo plus 400 rounds for both of my FNX's) plus 2 protective cases. This character is up to speed again including weaps, clothing and tools (tin opener, bino's, compass, medical supplies etc)

Binnatics

We are getting good at this ^-^ :-X

Nice stories guys ;)

Art Blade

Thanks  ^-^

What I like a lot is that the screen usually is free of any HUD elements. Only if you change weapons or press one of those hotkeys does the hotkey bar pop up. And there are those messages to the lower left corner telling you that you're getting wet, feel pain, ate food and some such. But most of the time you've got a damn nice empty screen which is just great, like it used to be when playing FC2.  :) Oh, and you can toggle between FPS and TPS at any given time. I mostly use TPS so I can see zombies around me a lot quicker without having to turn around all the time.

Abletile

I thought I would share this vid with you guys. It made me chuckle  :laugh:
SCRAM! - DayZ Standalone

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on May 16, 2014, 01:31:46 PM
Hey PZ, if your internet is fast enough for BF4, it should definitely be fast enough for DayZ :)

I'm sure it is but I'm not interested in the fools. I'd like to be with you chaps, but our time differences is likely to be an issue because I typically have a very narrow gaming opportunity during the day. However, I'd like to explore the potential.

Art Blade

plus you'd have to cope with physical distance. An American and a European player on the same server means the player farthest away from the server will have at least some 200ms delay up to about 450ms which means a significant lag. That means under critical circumstances that the player on a "local" server can kill a player from across the globe without that player being able to react accordingly. It takes quite some practice to cope with that amount of lag and renders you vulnerable as soon as you face someone or something with fast movements. I can already picture a situation where a local zombie dishes out while the lagging player doesn't even know what's happening. This means, Americans and Europeans will stick to their own. On our servers we're used to a ping of about 20-40ms (you don't notice that small amount of lag) which is really nice and it would be at least unfair if not unplayable for someone having to cope with 10 times the amount of lag.

Art Blade

Regarding Able's link to that "scram" vid:
funny what he did to that scumbag and annoying to see that scumbags like that are out there trying to kill Bambies for no reason at all but boredom, lack of creativity and inquiring mind. I wouldn't say he's totally stupid but he's at least one fry short of a happy meal.  :-D

Art Blade

A few thoughts about the game and about what we've posted so far.

When I started to post here telling you about my broken leg I kept confusing "crouching" and "crawling." With broken legs you may stop moving and erect your character to a crouched stance but you can't crouch and you cannot stand up except for a glitch using those F-keys for instance to salute, it actually made me stand up occasionally. As soon as you start to move, you'll go prone and crawl. That is why I couldn't get into houses with doorsteps at the front door. They simply were too high an obstacle.

I then remarked about loading weapons that you had to drag ammo from your inventory onto the weapon. That is not entirely correct. The thing is, usually you find weapons without magazines which means you can only chamber one bullet and that's what I meant. Also, for the Mosin, as far as I know, there aren't any spare magazines available which means you drag and drop ammo onto it and it then loads up to five rounds into the sniper rifle. However, as soon as you find magazines for your weapon, you drag and drop ammo onto the magazine loading it up and then put the magazine into your weapon. If you've got only one magazine, you'll have to eject the magazine and then load it as described. You can only load empty magazines which means if you fired a few rounds and still have at least one bullet in the magazine (or in the Mosin) you need to eject the magazine and empty it (or empty the Mosin), reload the magazine (or the Mosin) and put the magazine back into the weapon. All that from inside the inventory. Once you have more than one magazine for your weapon, you can actually reload your weapon in-game which causes your current magazine to get placed in the first empty slot there is in your gear (like in a jacket) and the next matching magazine to be loaded into your weapon. From here it's as described above, so you'll eventually have to go through all your gear, collect and reassign magazines to slots of your choice (I like to keep my mags in my backpack) and empty and/or reload them and so forth. Emptying a weapon or a magazine requires you to have at least one empty slot in your gear or the ammo will be dropped on the ground in your vicinity from where you'd have to pick it up again.

Soaking yourself in water (by extended exposure to rain or by drinking from a pond by wading into it rather than keeping just close to it or by swimming) makes you use up energy a lot faster than you would with dry clothes. You need to eat more and more frequently. Some foods like rice and cereal crisps dehydrate you so you need to drink more and more frequently. You cannot fill a bottle by holding it into the rain.

There are no silencers. There are only suppressors. The guns are still damn loud but the muzzle flash isn't visible. The shots may sound a bit damped, however.

The type and amount of gear you're carrying changes the amount of noise and even the type of noise you're making when running around.

The devs doubled their team and spent some time showing the new guys what's up and the next major thing they're on is improving zombie AI regarding path-finding and collisions with obstacles. They basically said that they were not pleased with what it's like right now. Zombies will be able to run around both in the exterior and interior world so I think they will actually use doors and walk up stairs rather than clipping through walls and getting stuck on the ground floor.

Art Blade

Binnatics

Good read Art, indeed, as we proceed we discover. I haven't come across any magazines for the Mosin, which is a big downside to the weapon. Besides, You nearly don't use it for far range shots. It maybe perfect for bandits but not for us.
I do love the SKS though. Got all the gear collected again for it. I am waiting for the moment I have the courage to throw away the Mosin and exchange it with the SKS I find along the way. I currently have the PU Scope for it and 4 magazines. And a whole ammo box full of rounds ^-^

Binnatics

I finally made that tough decision; I left my Mosin aside. In the Police Station at Zelenogorsk I found a pristine SKS and a SKS Bayonet and decided to swap.

Bye Bye, dear Mosin:
[smg id=6955]

I had collected a lot of pristine stuff for it, not to forget 200 rounds. The lone wanderer that comes to this police station before server restart won't believe his eyes:
[smg id=6956]

I came across a long bendable stick, so I forced myself to keep some spare space in my backpack until I found a rope. That same police station has a couple of garages where I finally crafted my first custom bow:
[smg id=6954]
It looks cool, but is to no use. You can span the tendon with the trigger function and aim, but when you release it, the arrow will not be able to let go of the tendon. So it won't leave its original position. Nice for threatening but I don't think the Zombies will be much impressed :-D
Besides of that, it replaces your rifle in your inventory so even if it was more or less useful, I doubt if it could stand against an M4 or SKS. I was hoping that it would replace the axe, but nope :-\\

Btw, I found out why I couldn't use and or merge the loose bolts I found along the way, back then when I tried out the crossbow. If you find a bolt and right-click on it, you get a option to "eject" the bolt. When I did that it changed into a single, countable bolt. Same when you 'empty' a pack of ammunition. Now I was able to stack them up together, up to a maximum of 5 in one slot. That makes the crossbow an attractive weapon again to try out.  ;) I have "ejected" several bolts already along the way, and I found out that if you're lucky, you'll get 5 bolts out of what looks as a single bolt. It can also be just one, so always a surprise what you'll discover ;)

Babushka:
[smg id=6957]

Here's some more nice scenery I captured along the way. I especially like the sunset. The colouring is so intense and natural, really brilliant:
[smg id=6953]

[smg id=6952]

[smg id=6958]

[smg id=6959]

[smg id=6960]

[smg id=6961]

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on May 17, 2014, 11:40:15 AM... This means, Americans and Europeans will stick to their own. On our servers we're used to a ping of about 20-40ms (you don't notice that small amount of lag) which is really nice and it would be at least unfair if not unplayable for someone having to cope with 10 times the amount of lag.
edit: quote inserted for readability reasons after merging posts from a different topic / Art

Agreed. So we'll have to talk Mandru into this game as well then ^-^ That makes 2 American OWG members, and on a silent server, in a silent corner of the map, we could exchange gear and looks and say high, without the lag being too death-threatening  8)

Art Blade

:-D Sorry about not having mentioned our Canadian friends, you're welcome to the party as well   ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳