psst... wanna steal a grenade-launching assault truck?

Started by PZ, March 15, 2009, 09:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceres Tauri

I grabbed this truck today (top post) thanks to this guide!  I used it to wipe out the crash site guys so I could get the guards off my aft to explore for diamonds...

PZ

Glad that you found the technique useful - I almost never go to northeast Bowa without grabbing this truck, especially if I need to go past the Outpost.

Art Blade

I almost always use the stationary (local) GL AT from the airfield in east Bowa. Just walk in, kill the mercs, scope the area, and grab the GL AT that sits next to the sniper tower :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Interesting session this morning.  Was at 69% and heading into the railroad bridge mission with Frank as my buddy.  I'd done all of the weapons dealer missions, and some of the buddy quests (the ones issued at Mike's).  I'd done all of the buddy side missions (the ones issued after you receive the orders for a main mission).

So Frank and I blow the bridge, and I run toward the GP toward the west and stand behind the sand bags waiting for the mercs I know will arrive from the west.  In they run and a few grenades later the mission was accomplished.  As I was preparing to get into the waiting Unimog, up comes the message that my safe houses were upgraded with mounted weapons - cool, I thought - let's see what we find there.  Immediately following I received the message that I'm at reputation level 4.

Made my way to the GP west of the railroad bridge and cleared house - there was a brand new GL AT waiting for me.  I cannot remember receiving a GL AT that early as a safe house upgrade in prior plays through.  Interestingly, after clearing out the 3 mercs at the safe house, my percentage completed jumped to 73%.

As an aside because this particular safe house can be difficult to unlock at times, I notice that two mercs hang around the building and the third is off to the west a bit.  He typically comes in guns ablaze, but he sometimes runs off into the woods and hides, preventing you from unlocking the safe house.

So here I am, reputation level 4 with a GL at all my Bowa safe houses feeling like I'm on cloud nine.  The next mission will be to meet with Mbantuwe who has a briefcase full of diamonds I'm supposed to deliver to Major Tambossa, but I think that I'll play around in the FC2 world with my new toy for a while.  First step was to go to Mosate Selao to antagonize the town mercs - was able to enter the restricted area to the north of the APR headquarters without much of a challenge from the mercs guarding the place.  Afterward, I returned to Leboa to do a predecessor mission at PetroSahel with the GL AT.  One note - even though you have the GL ATs in Bowa, you still have what you left Leboa with at the safe houses.

Ceres Tauri

Yeah, i stole a GLAT in the south for my foray back North... I obviously left its area when I went inside a safehouse and saved... when I came out later it was gone. 

Havent figured out the reputation progress just yet either.  Seems I ground out all the buddies I could to finally get back to rep 3.

PZ

Strange that you should lose your GL AT unless you hopped into another vehicle - typically vehicles stay where you leave them until they feel that you've deserted them.  ;D

There is a point late in the game where you actually reach reputation level 5.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on October 10, 2009, 09:30:52 AM
up comes the message that my safe houses were upgraded with mounted weapons - cool, I thought - let's see what we find there.  Immediately following I received the message that I'm at reputation level 4.

Made my way to the GP west of the railroad bridge and cleared house - there was a brand new GL AT waiting for me. 

At least for me the strangest glitch in the game happens at this precise point you are describing PZ. When the mission you had just completed is the last of all the faction missions and the GL AT upgrade occurs.

Sometimes this happens:

[smg id=1540]

Something strange here.

[smg id=1541]

Two ammo boxes and two barrels?

[smg id=1542]

Yes definitely 2 ammo boxes!

[smg id=1543]

Map shot for location with AT behind.

This is actually screen shots of two ATs superimposed over the top of each other. A .50 cal and a GL hence the two barrels and ammo boxes.

Be aware that if you walk up and touch these if you ever find them like this to jump back away as quickly as possible as they will start twisting and jumping around and fling themselves away from each other and can kill you if you happen to get caught under one of them as it comes down.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

wowzers... I've seen two guns (flare and pistol) merged -- you see that quite often on mercs -- but that double AT is crazy  :) Nice find there, mandru  :-X

on a sidenote, I see you managed to get the image filesize down to around 150kb, well done  ;D  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Thanks Art, now if I can get the color to shut off on the link to post in the gallery description I'll riding high - lol

By the way I was copying and pasting your code from your minitutorial so I've no clue what went wrong there in the gallery  :P
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on October 14, 2009, 03:38:42 PMI've no clue what went wrong

Fixed the tutorial, replied there too. Check the last pic of yours in the gallery, I edited the description and it works now :) You can check it for reference or the tutorial in the taking screenshots topic. Cheers mate  :-X

mandru

I 've been having so much fun trying to get a good series of screen shots for the two superimposed ATs when they are touched and fling themselves away from one another that it occurred to me if I loaded a copy of my save game looking at this situation anyone who wanted could get a better first hand than any number of screen shots could deliver. I personally like boarding them and finding myself spinning wildly at the level of the tree tops looking down at the tree tops, sky and ground flashing past.

I've uploaded but realized as I launched it off that I don't have winzip or rar for compression and the file was something like 5.5. Mb so it may be rejected by the system.
- mandru

Art Blade

we have a link for recommended software here at OWG, there you'll find 7-zip which knows a lot of compression formats :)

mandru

Thanks Art I have the compression program now.

Sorry about the file size on that game save. I am trying to get ahead of the curve where I figure things out before I trip embarrassingly over them.
- mandru

Art Blade

chillax mate :) Just upload the compressed savegame again, we'll replace the big with the small  ;)

Glad if we could help you and thanks for telling us (only if we know about problems we can provide help)

mandru

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳