Stunning game titles for 2014?

Started by Binnatics, December 28, 2013, 10:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

There is one title I'd like to see come out this year - Half-Life 2 Episode 3. But I know it won't, it never does and probably never will. Which sucks because the ending of HL2E2 was kind of up in the air and was clearly left open for the next episode to pick up from. HL2 is getting a bit old now but I would have liked to have found out more about how the Aperture Corporation (the Portal company) connects with the storyline, and just to see how things were wrapped up in general. It's a bit like getting into a really good miniseries only to miss out on the last episode :D

I was also looking forward to enjoying some more Gravity Gun mayhem (pardon me, Judith - I meant the Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator ;)). It was great fun braining bad guys with high-speed barrels, cinderblocks, tyres, planks and on one memorable occasion, an old toilet. Sticking your face in the bowl is unhealthy enough, but when the bowl is moving at about 200kph it can be really detrimental to your constitution >:D

Guess we'll never find out how Dr. Freeman ultimately saves the world ????

Binnatics

Quote from: fragger on January 20, 2014, 02:16:52 PM
Guess we'll never find out how Dr. Freeman ultimately saves the world ????

I guess we will Fragger. But I doubt it will be this year.  :( I can't imagine that they leave us hanging for eternity but it is getting somewhat late indeed. I still hope for a brilliant Episode 3, but I guess they have been hunting for too long on that shockingly revolutionary game-design and must have gotten carried away with the Portal franchise.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Well, there is hope. Duke Nukem Forever was released, too.

It only took slightly more than a decade  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

That's cool - that's about how long it will take me to re-download the earlier episodes from Steam :'(

Art Blade

no, it won't. Once you've got a decent internet connection, that is  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

True. I certainly hope so. Otherwise it would be quicker for Steam to ship me the game code so I can type it in myself ::)

Art Blade

you're crazy. :laugh: I do remember those times, though.. waiting impatiently for the newest edition of "Chip" or the other computer mag (there were only two or three mags out back then) and then off home, computer on, and two hours of typing in code just to watch a few characters (no, not avatars, we're talking symbols and letters) move around the TV (no monitors back then). I hope no one will call those "good" times. They were s#!t. It took nearly 30 years to get halfway decent computers for home use, those in front of us now.

fragger

Ah yes, I remember those "type-in-your-own-code-and-see-something-really-lame" things well. Cor, the time I wasted on those stupid things back then :-() I've got way better things to waste my time on nowadays!

Art Blade

Oh now you're posting here? :) Damn you beat me to it  :-D I wanted to post just that second ahead of you  :-()

By the way, a perhaps stunning title for 2014 can be found here (at OWG) :-()

fragger

:-D

Cheers, I'll go over there then and have a look :)

nexor

Art Blade

BLASPHEMY! ??? KILL THE HEATHEN!! >:D

Hehe, crazy :) I do recognise the sounds of a C64 produced by the "SID" (sound interface device, a programmable sound generator) but man.. that is a double violation of both a bass and a C64.

Binnatics

I just found a review of the game, a couple of Dutch tweakers got early access to the game in order to test it and they wrote an excellent article about it. Can't give you guys a brief translation, but check the link, there's a small video on the first page.

http://tweakers.net/reviews/3395/1/evolve-op-monsters-jagen-in-het-oerwoud-ervaren-studio.html

The game looks and sounds extremely interesting. I think this Turtle-Rock studio got everything out of a total new concept; 4 vs 1 multiplayer. 4 hunters against one monster, or, one monster against 4 hunters >:D
The way the game developed the skills seems perfectly balanced, forcing the group to w@&k tightly together as a team. The way the gameplay is designed seems to guarantee fluid, exciting and smooth gameplay where both the monster and the team have their chances if they manage to use their skills in the proper way and if they are fast enough in setting their traps to trick the other party.

The monster can and must evolve into a stage 3 monster to become strong enough to make a chance against the group of hunters. In order to grow and evolve it has to hunt and eat prey.
The hunters have to try to find and eliminate the monster before it reaches its full powers. So the game starts as a cat and mouse game and rapidly develops in a more balanced situation if the monster is able to remain undetected and hunt down enough prey to evolve.

The gaming world is like a large arena, open worldish, with limitations to keep the game tight enough to stay exciting at all time. The setting is a jungle with both plants and animals that try to hunt and eat the players. Some of the animals are even larger than the monster, so it is pretty exciting and dangerous for all players to wander around. What would you think of massive crocs or dinosaurs?

I'm looking forward to it already :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳