Some final thoughts....

Started by Dweller_Benthos, September 26, 2013, 08:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Finally finished the game, yeah I know, everyone else did that months ago and have since moved on to GTAV, but I keep getting distracted by things, not to mention the bad crashing experience I had.

So, the final mission, I was like what? A long boring card game, a stupid quick time knife fight, then a dumb timed race to the airport, then finally, some fighting to get your brother out. That was mildly interesting, once I realized I didn't need to waste ammo getting out of the compound, just run for it, the guys at the airport were a little fun. Once you get the kid out, lay down some mines at the entrance and around the crates and watch the guys who come in set them off while you're still getting settled in the chopper.

Now, the chopper..... grrrr.... stupid on-rails mission, OK, just shoot everything in sight and get on with it. Land at the Doc's and find everything on fire, pretty dumb, why have your previous allies turned on you and grabbed your friends?

Oh yeah, they have a nut job for a leader who's actually more crazy than her brother was.

So, on to the temple, more stupid cut scenes where you have no choice what to do until you decide to leave or stay. I pretty much figured that staying wasn't going to end well, but I tried it anyway. Yeah, that ended about how I thought it would.

So, back to my last save game and since there's no way to save anywhere in that final sequence, DO IT ALL AGAIN.

This time I choose to leave, see you, you crazy nut bags!

Then, you can go back and wander around and tease the (now friendly again) Rakyat by mining all the roads and watching them drive along and blow up.

I may reset the outposts again, but then maybe not, it was fun, sort of, while it lasted, but is it as good as FC2? No.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

durian

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 26, 2013, 08:00:42 AM

it was fun, sort of, while it lasted, but is it as good as FC2? No.
Your last sentence is what I thought about it as well.
I've played it again after taking an 8 month break, man I can't stand it and had to quit aftter  just a couple of hours
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

at least on a PC you can mod and cheat the living daylights out of it and that.. makes it fun :-D Same with FC2.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on September 26, 2013, 03:44:28 PM
at least on a PC you can mod and cheat the living daylights out of it and that.. makes it fun :-D Same with FC2.

Agree - the only way I play FC3 at all any more is on the PC - heavily modded, just the way I like 'em  :-()

fragger

I still like it (the fun parts anyway) but once I get to the south island and get the wingsuit I don't bother with the rest of the story. Just do the towers, outposts and sundry side missions, in between running around picking fights. Then I quit and start again from a manually saved game I have which begins immediately after all the tutorial stuff is done. When I do play it's never for more than an hour or two before I get sick of it, unlike some of the marathon sessions I put in with FC2 (I played that for twelve straight hours once, early in the piece).

Agree D_B, overall it isn't as good as FC2. I like some of the changes they made (no weapon categories or degrading, more accessible terrain, and I love my recurved bow) but FC2 still has it all over FC3. I really could have done without all that mushie-trip style nonsense, and those rigid, uninspired story missions almost made me give up on it completely.

Not having a console and not particularly wanting one means a wait until I can have a go at GTA V, so in the meantime I've been contenting myself with FC3 and Civilization V whenever I want to game. I never did finish Tomb Raider but I lost interest when it looked like a big boss fight finale was looming. I hate boss fights, like the one with that giant black masked demon thing in FC3 :angry-new: I could have done without that, too.

durian

But I guess you still can't mod the main missions to make them more intesresting.
Another thing I've just noticed recently is that the island feels a bit empty, I wish there were more pirate patrol trucks to fight. Ubi went form one extreme to another extreme. In FC2, you're constantly harrassed by the endless mercs patrol trucks, whereas in this game, you hardly see them on the roads, zero on rivers and almost non-existent in the sea.

fragger:12 hr marathon ?  :o  My longest playing session was COD War At War: 5 hrs

Art Blade

durian, at least on the PC the last patch gave us a couple of new options. One is to be able to reset all outposts (except Amanaki outpost) which means that you'll have a LOT of pirates and mercs patrolling everywhere. You can only reset them if a) the main story has been completed and b) all outposts have been liberated.

PZ

I like Ziggy's features, one of which is the option to liberate (or not) each outpost as you complete it.  There are some that I like to revisit, while others I'd just as soon leave as travel hotspots.

fragger

Quote from: durian on September 27, 2013, 12:39:09 PM
fragger:12 hr marathon ?  :o  My longest playing session was COD War At War: 5 hrs

Yeah, I kinda got hooked on it early on :-() I'd played FC1 back in the day which was OK but not exactly earth-shattering, so when I bought FC2 sight unseen I didn't really know what to expect from it. When the real nature of the game became apparent I realised it was exactly the kind of game I had always hoped someone someday would make, and I had trouble tearing myself away from it at first. I don't think I've ever played a FPS game for as long as I did FC2 - about three years altogether. Still my all-time fave :-X

Art Blade

I think it was the first real open world game I played and the open world nature kept me playing despite the issues I had with it (I was only happy with it when using cheats). That and the endless details and funny merc lines that kept popping up, even years later we found and heard new stuff. So I too spent a lot of nights playing it with probably even more than 12 hours straight and more than once  :)

Oh, truth be told, the real reason, how could I forget.. was that OWG members showed me how to have fun with it and together we developed all kinds of ideas how to keep having fun.

fragger

durian

Quote from: Art Blade on September 27, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
durian, at least on the PC the last patch gave us a couple of new options. One is to be able to reset all outposts (except Amanaki outpost) which means that you'll have a LOT of pirates and mercs patrolling everywhere. You can only reset them if a) the main story has been completed and b) all outposts have been liberated.
Yeah I know you can reset the outposts on PC version with the patch because PC guys had demanded it. But the problem is that taking the outposts is no longer fun for me. It's getting painfully repetitive. And I'm not sure about "a lot of pirates and privateers patrolling everywhere". You mean there are more pirates and yellow jackets than in the vanilla game or the same ?

Quote from: Art Blade on September 28, 2013, 03:25:58 AM
That and the endless details and funny merc lines that kept popping up, even years later we found and heard new stuff.
Yes one of the best things of FC2 that kept me playing for 3-4 years. I still remember some of their lines such as "Who the hell is he ? CIA ?","Shut the hell up!",ect. Sadly FC3 really lacks those hilarious and entertaining lines which seem trivial but it's really important. This is just one of many example Ubi devs themselves even don't know that made FC2 great. Before FC3's launch, I remember one gamer had expressed his concerns regarding FC3 that Ubi would fix "those flaws of FC2 but they would also introduced new problems. As we all already know, this guy was right.

Art Blade

1) It basically is the vanilla game. The more outposts you liberate, the less room for pirates/mercs to spawn. That's why the map colour changes from red to green with Amanaki warriors patrolling and civilians. So, if you reset all outposts, the map is red again = full of pirates/mercs who are patrolling the roads by car, coast by boat and and random areas on foot. :)

2) yep.. sad but true. UBI isn't fun any more.

Art Blade

before you post, check my edit  :-()

Art Blade

durian

:-D

I know there patrolling pirates around the unliberated outposts (red areas) but my point is that that's not enough for me.

Art Blade

Oh. Well, that can't be helped, I'm afraid.

Binnatics

A few days ago I went back to Africa. The guy in the taxi reminded me of an inmate in our prison. Same voice, same accent. Friendly and gentle. And pissed when he finds out you get sick on him :-()

I was immediately surprised (again) buy the mercs trying to round my position and couldn't defeat them entering cock-fights. I was out of ammo, and they kept shooting me from all directions. Good game ^-^ :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳