what does "spidnot" mean?

Started by Art Blade, September 22, 2013, 05:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Sure :) For some reason I've heard various if small differences during mission dialogues, same mission, different lines. I noticed that watching various playthroughs. The game is full of izzos and izzles and whatnot.. :) Probably a variety so a replay won't be too boring or they did last minute changes to the final game (some of the uploaders received their copy before the official release date).

spidnot = 0:13:08
nizote (note) = 0:13:52
you got to grind to keep that s#!t 0:13:55 (for gridnind, see next vid)
GTA 5 Walkthrough part 1 Grand Theft Auto 5 Walkthrough part 1 Gameplay Let's play no commentary V

For example, here is the gridnind but not the nizote:
gridnind = 0:16:28
sizelf, cizain't (sounds like sizz-elf (self) and kizz-ain't, (can't) ) 1:49:30
GTA 5 - Walkthrough Part 1 [1080p HD] - First 2 Hours! - No Commentary - Grand Theft Auto 5
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

:-X +1 for that job! Must have taken some time to find all that back ;)

I find this slang damn interesting. It seems like a way to put power to a word in order to over-bluff the other person in the last few lines (sizelf and cizain't) but when they pronounce the spidnot it doesn't seem that way. Would be a cool investigation theme for a cultural anthropologist. Ghetto sociology ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

cheers :)

I have a simple theory for that sort of "slang" -- if you're not an insider, you don't understand it. Which means, it allows for talking about stuff the police or anyone else outside the gangs or ghettos or slums should not easily be aware of.. rendering it incomprehensible for any outsiders like us  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Very true Art :)

This discussion reminded me of a scene from the movie Finding Forrester. There's this part where the young black guy gets together with his friends in some sort of diner or cafe and they have a conversation. That conversation was so incomprehensible to me that I might as well have taped it and listened to it backwards ???? I couldn't understand a word of it.

But then, if those same characters came here and listened to a slang-laden conversation between locals they may well have no more idea of what was being talked about :-() "Slanguage" is usually comprehensible only to those who are part of the culture, even if they speak the same base language.

For instance, who among you would know what is meant by this: "I got elephants last night and felt so butchers this morning that I got on the dog to w@&k and chucked a sickie - the strife wasn't impressed"? (although a British member might get it - quiet Abletile, let's see if anyone can figure it out. You too Art, I've revealed some of these ridiculous Aussie affectations to you so you also might be able to decipher it :-()).

Aw heck, here's a translation:
Spoiler
The statement utilizes rhyming slang, a quirky tradition adopted in this country from Cockneys but subsequently embellished upon with great relish:

"Elephants" is short for "elephant's trunk" - rhyming slang for "drunk".
"Butchers" is short for "butcher's hook" - rhyming slang for "crook", which in turn is slang for "sick", and thus a concatenation of slang expressions.
"Dog" is short for "dog and bone" - rhyming slang for "telephone".
To "chuck a sickie" - colloquialism for calling in to w@&k sick on false pretenses, thereby getting an illicit day off.
"Strife" is short for "trouble and strife" - rhyming slang for "wife".

So translated, the meaning of the statement is: "I got drunk last night and felt so hungover this morning that I got on the phone to w@&k and called in pretending to be genuinely sick in order to get the day off - my wife was not impressed".

Yeah, I know, it's ridiculous - but it is fun.

Art Blade

Nice one old china  :-D However, it has a lot in common with cockney rhyming slang which indeed is generally impossible to get the meaning of what exactly is being said.

By the way, fragger,
Spoiler
shouldn't it have been "the trouble wasn't impressed" as in trouble and strife? To me it looks as if you gave away the rhyming word rather than using the unsuspicious first word of an associated word pair? Just as you say dog rather than bone for phone :)

Binnatics

This topic is getting more interesting by the day ^-^ :-X

I'll take a shot:
Spoiler
"I got drunk last night and felt so bad this morning that I couldn't even think of going to w@&k so I called myself ill for today. The boss wasn't amused"
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Heheh :-X ^-^ After reading the spoilers I think I wasn't far from the truth :)
Spoiler
Although I got "dog" for "phone" mistaken as well as the "strife" being the "wife". I did a more associating translation where I imagined someone not wanting to let his dog out in the morning, and thus translated into "disliking to go to w@&k" (having the land on going to the job sprung to mind) and the "butcher" as being the one that cuts stuff to pieces, which is my head being ached. I misunderstood strife because in Dutch we have a word for people who always try to be the top notch, they are called "strevers" which sounds like strife. Checking out translators showed my mistake :-D

fragger

Well done Binn, very close :-X

@Art - one would think so, but these things aren't always consistent. With most of those expressions the first word is used, but occasionally the second one is. I guess it just depends on which sounds better, funnier, or in the case of the last one, more apt 8-X

I don't make the rules, I just follow them :-D

Art Blade

hey :-D

I've also found a lot of examples with both words, like "he's gone down the battle cruiser" (boozer, = pub) "he flicks a flaming match into his bird's nest" (chest) and shortly before that, "walks straight past the jam rolls" (arseholes) "he then orders an Aristotle (bottle) of the most ping pong (strong) Tiddley (Tiddleywink = drink)" -- So Tiddley is the only first word (which is actually a first half of an English hamlet's (settlement's) name)

you can listen to those examples in a perfect surrounding in this little vid taken from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (by the way, with Jason Statham) which is subtitled in English so the audience ignorant of cockney rhyming slang may still follow the conversation  :-()

battle cruiser 00:00:18
jam rolls at 00:00:40
Aristotle, ping pong, Tiddley somewhere after 00:00:46
and bird's nest at 00:01:00
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Pub Scene

fragger

Yeah, it can get pretty dense. I thought I was fluent in rhyming slang but when I saw that film I had trouble deciphering some of it :-()

Art Blade

that film is a riot  :-D In the scene above, "calm as a coma" always cracks me up :laugh:

fragger

Binnatics

Art Blade

just watched the "spidnot" scene with Spanish subtitles, and they translated it as "lugar" which means location, so "this is the spot" or "this is the location" is correct, now it's official  :-D

Binnatics

As far as you can state that Spanish people know these kind of things that is... :angel:

Art Blade

just as far as Rockstar themselves put those Spanish subtitles into the game. >:D

go to 03:50 for "spidnot" and keep watching a bit so you can see that in-game messages (such as the black tutorial box top left) are all in Spanish, too. So it's not just someone who translated it and posted a home-made subtitle or YouTube's feature allowing you to get captions in your own language.

If Rockstar hires gang members for authenticity I believe they're capable of hiring capable interpreters, too. So yes, I believe those Mexicans or whoever translated the game did quite well know what they were translating. I'm quite sure they weren't Spaniards because some of the adjectives and expressions used are typical for Latin Americans, such as "pinche" -- you wouldn't see that in a Spanish (castellano) version. On top, it plays in Los Santos aka La Ciudad de Los Angeles where the Spanish language is even obvious in the local names so there will be quite a few people who speak both English and Spanish. You may remember Hispano gangs in GTA:San Andreas who speak both languages.

So it is even likely that Spanish people know these kind of things :)

GTA 5 Mision 2 en Español HD | Subtitulos Grandes | Campaña Completa

Binnatics

You are hard to trick, my friend ^-^

But indeed, if the translation came from a Rockstar office, it's veritable. What came to my mind was an official translating bureau, the ones that are usually translating official documents and/or books :-()

Binnatics

I heard a great line in a song called La Raza and performed by Kid Frost on Radio Los Santos today. The rapper says: "You're so cool I'm a calla you a Culo"

Here's a great version of the song, a bit different from the Radio Los Santos one, with such a cool video you'll enjoy it for not only the Mexican slang but also for the many things we, San Andreas and GTA V players, will recognize... Bouncing cars, chicas, chorros, cops, graffiti and much more :-X ;)

Kid Frost - La Raza

The line I mentioned will appear at 2:11 in the video.

Art Blade

so you were trying to trick me, eh? Tsk tsk tsk  :-D It's probably so hard to do so because I either come up with a solid fact or a well educated guess backed up with solid logic :-()

That vid just had to be blocked by GEMA... couldn't watch it :(

Art Blade

re: Kid Frost - La Raza
Yay! found a couple of vids with traces of it, and one particular right here, the best is: take a look at the DJ in the back wearing a white T-shirt. Now check out the guy standing next to him. Do you know who he is? (check spoiler, other funny things in the spoiler, too)

Kid Frost - La Raza

Spoiler
it is the b-movie actor who gets cast in every movie when they need a badass Mexican, it is Danny Trejo!  :) :-X He's probably completely stoned, he doesn't get the hand-clapping right, always off beat or waiting when to clap again, distracting the DJ trying to chat with him and when he sings the chorus he misses the point when to stop  :laugh: :-X
The big guy in the middle could be Big LA, another Latino rapper, see this vid

Big LA- La Raza (Ft. Frost) *NEW 09 Music Video*

Binnatics

I didn't check the spoiler jet, but I know who he is.
Spoiler
It's the ugly face actor that pops up in most mexican pistolero films, as well as in From Dusk Til Down if I'm right. Could be another tarantino movie. Ah, googled his name, it's Danny Trejo, alias Razor Charly alias the Machete :)

Binnatics

lol @ Big LA :laugh: He's both funny and impressive. Good vid.  :-X 8)

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on September 23, 2013, 01:03:16 PM
I think I found the Old School source of that "iz" and "izzo" thingy. A rap group from the 1980s, UTFO (Untouchable Force Organization) came up with Roxanne Roxanne and yes, there it goes public..

skip to 0:35 to hear those famous izzo words. :)

the old vid here:
Spoiler

I found a "new" one from 1981 which is FULL of this shizzle -- go to 1:45 :-D
Double Dutch Bus

Binnatics

That izz quizzle-ite obvee-izzlous indizzle-eed :-D

Great song btw, nice beat and bass line :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳