GTA-V: PZ's first impressions

Started by PZ, September 19, 2013, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I am really looking forward to reading more of your impressions. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Binnatics

Me to am curious! In the mean time I wonder what will come out first; the PS4 version or the PC version ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on January 13, 2014, 09:22:45 AM
Me to am curious! In the mean time I wonder what will come out first; the PS4 version or the PC version ????

Good question - I'd be all over a PS4 version.  :-X

Art Blade

that is a horrible question. It's jinxing the PC release.. if that PS4 comes first, the PC version will be last. UAAAAAAAARGH  :'( The Console Gamers United.. oh dear..

However. Lacking some people's first impressions (ahem  :-D ) I found my way back to YouTube playthroughs. If I'm not mistaken, it's my.. hold it.. I didn't finish the last one because of GEMA wiping out several of those vids which would have been playthrough #8. Alright, it's got to be #9 then. Make that #8 again because I didn't finish the last one.

OK, so I'm currently into yet another full console playthrough which is fascinating me. Not because of whatever reasons you might be thinking up right now, no, by far not. Instead: Because that guy [edit: I'm referring to the guy who uploaded the playthrough] is so stupid I can't believe he's that stupid. Thank the gaming gods, he does his playthrough without commentary. I was curious, though, whether I could get something off him that allows for a little more insight as to who he is and I found a couple of "reviews" which of course featured his teenage voice-over. Listening to those I didn't quite know whether to cry or to laugh but I was cringing all the time. He must have written down his review and then read it off the sheet which kept causing him to take a breather smack in the middle of a sentence where you least expected it, making it sound very unnatural and obvious he was reading it. Since reading isn't his strong suit (he's also got a light speech impediment) he fluffed some lines and decided to continue his recording by overdubbing the fluff with oftentimes far louder new audio takes. Oh, and English apparently isn't his native tongue so his (likely) French accent kept adding to his overall excruciating performance. So, sadly, I kind of had the confirmation I was looking for (no surprise, there). Brrrrr...  8-X OK.

During the playthrough: So this guy had to go to a designated spot in a multi-storey car park to somewhat stealthily assassinate some industrial manager (who was expected to leave a conference hotel) but ignored the explicit recommendation to use a sniper rifle and, wouldn't you know it, he couldn't see the target across the plaza. Instead, he whipped out an assault rifle without scope, let alone silencer (here I have to add, he did not even have a sniper rifle) and, ignoring the countdown timer that told me and everyone else when to expect the target to exit the hotel, he randomly killed someone who might or might not have been the target. It wasn't the target; fail ("cover blown") #1. Start over? Yes. Prematurely shoot a different target. Fail #2. Walk over into the restricted area? Yes, and ignore the guard's warning, bump into another guard and pick a fistfight.. Fail #3. Walk over and climb into the car (that I know serves as the target's pickup car) and stir everyone up.. fail #4. Oh, I forgot, sometime in between (another start-over) he accidentally fired a round from and into his own cover but damn, those people across the plaza wouldn't ignore that shot.. fail #5. Then the screen showed a prompt, "Are you sure you want to skip this scene?" Unfortunately (I would have loved to watch more invalid trials) he thought it a good idea and skipped it. The game made it a successful mission.  :D JEEEEESUS :laugh:

I've never seen anyone doing that many stupid things throughout the game, continuously. You could bet a salary on the next screw-up to happen right around the next corner. Oh, and his driving skills are just bloody abysmal (a lot worse than those of our beloved old member spaceboy -- remember his FC2 vids? lol) After that amount of time he had already spent on the game he should have known how those cars handled yet he kept slamming into virtually every moving or static obstacle one could imagine. You're constantly thinking something like, "nonoNO, turn turn TURN! He's going to ram the.. omg BRRRAAAAKE!!!" *KER-BOOM* "Well.. *sigh* " ??? :laugh: :D

Under normal circumstances I would have avoided that playthrough. For some reason, most of his vids have got about 60,000+ views and some 130 likes vs 50 dislikes (he is actually one of those people who got an early copy and started publishing on release). I don't know whether that many views are caused by people like me who enjoy an outstanding performance of someone who is so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence or by people who actually don't realise how bloody bad it is (ranging around the same IQ as the uploader's which is only slightly above room temperature).

Sorry for hijacking your topic again, PZ, but hey.. I hope you guys enjoyed my rant.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on January 13, 2014, 11:31:48 AM
... Oh, and his driving skills are just bloody abysmal (a lot worse than those of our beloved old member spaceboy -- remember his FC2 vids? lol)

:laugh: :-X yeah, those were some good 'ol days!

Yes, I enjoyed your rant about the ineptitudes of this guy - sounds like that is likely why he has so many views!

mandru

While I don't think I've encountered this particular intrepid adventurer in the walk throughs that I've checked out I am familiar with the species.  :laugh:

Early adopters recording their first time through a game while hoping for something that doesn't look like a bucket of pig slop when they rush to post it.  :D

(Sweet rant.  :-X  By the way thanks for the poke to make me aware or I would have hated to have missed it.  ;) )
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

I decided to split off the topic here because the discussion around this weird reviewer was becoming a theme on its own, and deserved it's own topic for that. :)

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

:) :-X

Until PZ starts to continue posting about his first impressions, I'll try to think up more stuff to keep this topic going until it gets split off again.

OK, I wasn't being completely serious. :-()

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on January 15, 2014, 02:38:09 PM
:) :-X

Until PZ starts to continue posting about his first impressions, I'll try to think up more stuff to keep this topic going until it gets split off again.

OK, I wasn't being completely serious. :-()

I bet you will anyway, serious or not :-()

Art Blade

PZ

Well, my first impression of GTA V for the PC is that I finally have it installed!  Last night I got the PC to begin the 5gb update, and I got up this morning to see the Social Club had thrown an error message "Installation failed, please try again" ... are you serious!!!!!  ???

So, I restarted the Social Club and immediately it began a download - not 5gb this time, but only 343 mb - I had hope!  Sure enough, 5 minutes later, the Social Club application reported "Ready to play"  :-X

I resisted the temptation to click the Play button because I do not have the time to investigate anything right now, so here I am, having a working game and no time to start it.  :laugh:

So, the only impression I can give so far is that the installation seemed to go well, and because I have the physical media, the game box contained the large print map similar to prior games.

One other good thing is that the last time I actually played the game was so long ago (PS3), I can't remember anything about it, so it will be like a brand new game.

Binnatics

Excellent PZ!!! Hope you can find some time later today to check if everything is ready to go :) :-X

PZ

Started the game and everything worked well - no crashes, etc.  nVidia had a GTA V driver which I installed with fingers crossed - no problems.

I've never seen graphics as good as this - the detail is astounding.  Trash detail is all over, and weeds are growing in the cracks in the asphalt.  Even the tire tracks could be used by a forensic technician.

Took quite a few short 60fps videos, a couple in first person I'm particularly fond of because it highlights flipping people the bird.  Will upload those tomorrow.

OWGKID

:-D :-D Well, I have the latest AMD driver. Can only do 1080p@50 fps ultra with my MSI R9 290 (Anisotropic filtering 8x, MSAA 4x? (AA and AF probably steals my extra 10fps)  :) It is a huge improvement over 720@30 fps, no AA and low-res textures  :-D Maybe a later patch will fix it so I can do 60 fps   :-()
LEGACY

PZ

The last minute of this video is really funny if you appreciate a strange sense of humor. It is a 60fps video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcvdw20YtV0

I also added a few other 2 minute 60fps videos on this list:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhkh7UvCWGB6s9zf8sRSPPw49z6Xf15LA

Art Blade

flipping the bird is a fun thing to do. Especially when waiting for a green light and the guy next to you whom you flipped the bird at really gets angry and jumps out of his car to mess you up.  :laugh:

PZ

Stiku

Quote from: GKID7891 on April 16, 2015, 12:08:24 AM
:-D :-D Well, I have the latest AMD driver. Can only do 1080p@50 fps ultra with my MSI R9 290 (Anisotropic filtering 8x, MSAA 4x? (AA and AF probably steals my extra 10fps)  :) It is a huge improvement over 720@30 fps, no AA and low-res textures  :-D Maybe a later patch will fix it so I can do 60 fps   :-()

Hmpf, R9 290 here also, but I can maintain steady 60fps with very high settings, and even turned on everything in the advanced menu, and added few notches to the distance scaling, just to eliminate the annoying popping up and bad texture quality after 10m. Though I don't use 4xAA, just 2xAA.

PZ, Some anger issues you have there with the bird, and as always when somebody mentions bird :

PZ

OWGKID

Quote from: Stiku on April 16, 2015, 03:45:05 PM
Hmpf, R9 290 here also, but I can maintain steady 60fps with very high settings, and even turned on everything in the advanced menu, and added few notches to the distance scaling, just to eliminate the annoying popping up and bad texture quality after 10m. Though I don't use 4xAA, just 2xAA.

Okay, I will try out  :-D
LEGACY

PZ

Was doing an early mission where both M and F are going together.  I started out driving as M but as the criminals started shooting, I switched to F and shot back.  Once we got rid of the guys, M drove more conservatively with F flippin' everyone off - stretching his arm outside the passenger side, then reaching over M to flip someone off on the other side. F was evidently really angry with everyone on the road.

This game is really funny

Art Blade

Binnatics

OWGKID

Apparently I forgot to DISABLE V-sync due to the constant 50fps limit 8-X :D >:((
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳