GTA V First Impressions

Started by Binnatics, September 16, 2013, 02:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Quote from: durian on October 21, 2013, 01:52:59 PM
Hate to say this but the linearity nature of the missions is killing it for me.  :(

I think a bit of linearity is needed in any game. I wouldn't worry about it either, because like Art commented mostly the storyline is entertaining and the mission design is normally quite challenging. But what I worry about, is of another nature; are missions designed the way Far Cry 3 did, that only a limited area in the map is accessible for the mission and even the smallest decisions are corridorrected?
That would be a downer for me, but I can hardly believe it is like that. Usually, if GTA wants you to do the mission silenced with a knife and silent gun, you can still go in and blast your way through, although it may be extra tough :angel: But there is a choice ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

from what I've observed, most missions will make you want to stick around the obvious location because usually you're not alone (protect your friends).
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I just have to add that there are several missions that allow you total freedom to achieve the mission goal. For example, get a guy on top of a building. How you do it, is entirely up to you. Sneak in or guns blazing, your choice. How you get out, again, your choice. Elevator, parachute.. your choice.

So, not all those missions are linear :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

durian

I'm fully aware that not all the missions are scripted, linear to the bone, e.g, the first heist, we have 2 choices between being stealthy or going loud, I picked the latter approach but what I'm saying is I'm not happy with the overall level of linearity of the missions, it's a bit too much to my liking. I remember one of Trevor missions, where he snipes the baddies, then burns down the whole house. I really like the setting as it's a rather big area in countryside instead in city. It reminds me of the missions in FC2. But it's a pity that Rockstar doesn't allow players to tackle this mission in multiple ways.
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

that mission you mentioned is cool until you are led by the hand and have to pour gasoline exactly where they showed it on the map.. nice little dotted path. :D :-D

durian

Yep, that's an excellent example of the extreme scriptedness of GTA V.
As Bin said, some linearity is necessary, or I might say, even enjoyable, but like saltz, it's good when you use it in small amount, it's bad when it's overused.

Art Blade

I am not arguing with you, if you don't like the missions it is how you perceive it. All I know is that I hated the missions in FC3, almost all of them, they were stupid and scripted in a way that I was cursing the game all the time. By comparison, GTAV is just lovely, at least for my taste. I've seen all the main missions about six times now and quite a few of those side missions, they were fun to watch and I know there is quite a bit of room for personal gaming style and preferences. I will enjoy playing the game a lot and will try some things I haven't seen yet but of which I'm sure they're "allowed" -- ranging from weapon choices and customisations to mission approaches.

Regarding that Trevor mission: you said he sniped.. you don't have to. Of course, sniping is fun and you better snipe off the first half dozen of those inbred brothers but you can just as well sneak around and kill them one by one with any weapon you like. So, the first bit is quite open but you're right, you can't just do it any way you want -- like, blow it up with sticky mines or torch the house with everyone in it.. as far as I can tell it's not possible. I could imagine to fly there in a small plane, dive down and jump out.. and while gliding down with a chute, watch the plane hit the house, blow up and take out the house in a ball of fire  >:D

I watched a different mission and several players caused a massive firefight followed by a long police chase and it looked very dangerous and difficult while a different player didn't see most of that because he almost literally came through the back door and got away without any firefight and there was no police involved, for him just a matter of minutes. Funny thing, for him it was a bloody lucky accident that he managed to pull it off like that rather than a clever and planned approach: he hadn't found the way through the front door, figuratively speaking.  :laugh:

Art Blade

I just started watching another (7th) different playthrough :laugh: can't get enough of that stuff  :-()

durian

I didn't know that I didn't have to snipe in that Trevor mission

Art Blade

I saw a couple of times that a mission starts out in a "suggestive" way or even explicitly suggesting what to do (black message box top left of the screen, reads something like "point your gun at the architect") but some people for whatever reason (distracted?) ignored those suggestions and did something else which worked, too (perhaps not as smoothly). The only time you must do something is when it tells you on the bottom of the screen what to do, like "get into the car and pick up Lamar" -- else, you'll fail the mission.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on October 24, 2013, 02:05:19 PM
... The only time you must do something is when it tells you on the bottom of the screen what to do, like "get into the car and pick up Lamar" -- else, you'll fail the mission.

The only problem is that the font is so small, I can't see it while in bed, which is one of the reasons I have so limited game play time.

Art Blade

buy a projector and a 10ft silver screen to solve that "I ain't finna wear no bitch-a$$ glasses in bed" problem  :-D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on October 24, 2013, 02:19:09 PM
buy a projector and a 10ft silver screen to solve that "I ain't finna wear no bitch-a$$ glasses in bed" problem  :-D

I would if I could - the far wall of my bedroom is 90% windows, and even the current TV I have mounted on one of the window posts is obstructive - anything larger the missus would never go for  :-()

Art Blade

time to wall up that window front  :-D

Art Blade

here's a commented two-and-a-half-hour vid with all kinds of nonsense going on, a few tips in there, too.. it is taking place after completing the main story but it may give you ideas what to do in free roam mode between missions in case you haven't yet finished the game (or don't want to finish the main missions..).

So, this is stuff you can do apart from missions. :)

skip to 00:02:20 in order to avoid the waiting period (nothing happens) and get on with the actual vid.

GTA V - $26,000,000 Spending Spree! Bugatti Veyronn Police Chases & More! *LIVESTREAM*

PZ

Art Blade

yep, 20 years young.. heh heh heh  :-D But funny indeed.

Binnatics

About that Travor mission you were discussing concerning linearity; will you fail the mission when you go too far away, or take your time? Usually that doesn't always happen in prequels so I thought you might as well find a plane, fly towards the building and jump out shortly before ramming it >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Art Blade

I've been thinking about what you said, Binnatics, and now I doubt it will w@&k here because typically you need to step or drive into a mission start trigger marked with a yellow or blue spot on the map which will cause a cutscene to play. Flying over the spot might not count.. however, I'd still try everything to see if it is possible to crash a plane onto the house and spare us from pouring petrol along a dotted line  :-D

Binnatics

At least it spares us the sniping bit :-()

Art Blade

:laugh: I don't mind sniping at all, love it :)

durian

I don't know Bin, I might replay that mission to do it differently like what you suggested. I love sniping as well but to be honest, the sniping part was more like a chore than a fun activity, because the bad guys all know where Trevor stays.

Art Blade

you should wait with your sniping and walk around to the back of the house. Snipe individuals or a group of 2 or 3 brothers and move again. It is entirely possible to take out everyone outside without raising any alarm.

durian

Tags:
🡱 🡳