So, FC2 or FC3 ?

Started by durian, September 10, 2013, 12:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Those weird acting animals are all over in FC2, the devs are clueless

Art Blade

That was my first pic that I uploaded. File ID 71, which means one of the earliest of the uploaded pics  :) That zebra was clueless, too.
[smg id=71 align=center width=800 caption="zebra 1"]

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I once had stopped at the safe house between the Eastern gunshop and the OGC green houses to confer with a BB over some minor mission detail with the radio operator and changing the supply drop point.  While they were describing the mission detail a loud racket had arisen outside the hut.  Once the briefing was completed and I'd exited the hut I discovered that one of the goats had somehow hooked a horn under the rear axle of my now badly beat up brush-buggy dragging it from around the side of the hut (where I'd parked) to right outside of the hut's front door.

Trying to figure out what was going on and how the goat could so soundly thrash my ride I was a moment too slow in spotting the black smoke and leaping flames that had arisen from the rough handling.

Fortunately my BB was just inside and revived me with out a whole lot of giggling.  :-[
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mandru, here's a heartfelt +1 :-X for your story-telling style, that story in particular, and last but not least, your inherent extreme weirdness magnet.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

That's something I would have liked to see      :laugh:

Binnatics

I remember a couple of chicken acting very weird. They were located near the hut in Sehlakalase Island. I don't remember what they did exactly, but it happened when I stood on them. Funny, makes me want to go back in to check it out ;)

I don't think it will be long until I pay Africa a visit again 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I'm currently paying Africa a visit, with that DLC it's a whole new experience. I love that quad to drive around with, it's fast and small. Excellent  :-X

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 22, 2014, 01:19:31 PM
I'm currently paying Africa a visit, with that DLC it's a whole new experience...

Sure is - I like the Unimog because I enjoy the Diesel sound, and I especially like the mounted .50 cal which is devastating to the mercs in the north  >:D

Art Blade

Today I remembered what Spaceboy did, driving his quad around inside Pala and Mosate Selao. He also rigged his quad with IEDs and left the rigged vehicle just so he could remotely detonate the whole thing. I drove around in Pala and MS today, it was funny :)

PZ

I remember that as well, and also recall doing something similar after his report  :-X

TheStranger

The driving is also a major point why FC2 is better than FC3. The vehicles were actually driveable not that drunken-boat-drifting thing like in FC3.

Binnatics

I found the difference in driving in FC3 a big improvement. I really didn't like the way these African cars reacted, more like a bumper car than a real vehicle. But I think the engine Farcry games are built on isn't fully prepared for good driving gameplay, because in both games I find it not natural, not even approaching other open world game car handling.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I think both had problems, but different on the various platforms.  Because I played on the PS3 and the PC versions, I could definitely tell the difference

Art Blade

funny, I liked driving around in both FC2 and FC3. I even did power slides and stuff like that in FC2. :-D

mandru

Though I didn't initially like the driving physics in FC3 I've worked through it, compensated and found some advantages over FC2.

Throwing yourself into a sideways power drift to spread out you vehicle's area of impact to be able pick as many enemies as possible as you slam through them is useful.

I've also found that when I'm driving at top speed and a target of opportunity arises rather than hitting the Exit button just to spend time rolling on the ground and possibly losing my ride of the edge of a cliff or through other damage I can tap the brake button, toss myself into a drifting U-Turn and with practiced timing step out of the vehicle (with it safely parked behind me) facing the target weapon at hand in 1/10th the time allowed by a rolling ejection.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Binnatics

Quote from: mandru on April 27, 2014, 06:39:21 AM
Throwing yourself into a sideways power drift to spread out you vehicle's area of impact to be able pick as many enemies as possible as you slam through them is useful.

I like the simplicity in these last words; "is useful"

Less is more in this case ^-^ :-X :-X

fragger

JRD

Aaahhh... good to be back and see FC2 is still a topic on this forum!  8)

Home is where Far Cry 2 is  ;D

One other thing I like in FC2 is how unpredictable situations can be. I remember making mental plans (and mental plans) to tackle a mission, placing IEDs at the right spot, scouting the area, waiting for the night or to avoid the sun against my sight, then moving in and starting my takedowns just to be surprised by a stray merc or the clunck of a mortar and all hell breaking loose as I run desperately across the map, heavy breathing, panting and looking in all directions trying to figure out where those shots were coming from with a malaria attack kicking in just to be revived by my BB and moving back in from an unknown position.

Boy that was fun!  >:D

In FC3, once you get the enemies silhouettes lit, there's no surprise element for you, only for them. It seriously takes away the thrill of the killing.  :angry-new:
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

consider modding fc3, JRD. there are mods that remove those silly hud elements, highlighted items and enemies.. you know.. it's a lot more fun then. But still not the same as FC2. :)

PZ

I agree completely.  I have installed mods that were just right for me in FC3, but the game (for me) is so boring that I just can't go back.  In contrast, I've started an entirely new campaign in FC2.

Art Blade

Although I sometimes go back to FC3, I'll never start a new playthrough again. Just free roam with those mods with a savegame after the main mission ended.

Binnatics

Good to see you're back JRD!!! :-X

... I guess I'd better start another FC2 playthrough as well ^-^

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳