My New PC

Started by Abletile, June 25, 2013, 04:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abletile

My girlfriend decided that her PC was getting to be too slow (it was my 'old one'). She asked me how much it would cost to build her a new one.
Well the outcome is that she will buy my current rig (with my old graphic card). This left me with the exciting prospect of building a new rig for myself.
I have sort of decided on what I want and will post the specs and photo's of the build later on  :)
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Here's how I decided:

Go to Newegg and pick the component you want.

Sort by price, high to low.

Select second highest price item on list.

Buy that one.

LOL

Have fun, hope you don't run into trouble like I had with the stupid memory timing.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

:)

good luck with it indeed, Able  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 25, 2013, 07:54:57 AM
Here's how I decided:

Go to Newegg and pick the component you want.

Sort by price, high to low.

Select second highest price item on list.

Buy that one.

LOL

Have fun, hope you don't run into trouble like I had with the stupid memory timing.

:laugh: :-X

fragger

Half your luck, Abletile :-X :) Looking forward to seeing pics of the new rig!

Abletile

Well this is starting off badly  :'(

The m/board I chose (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SB950 DDR3 ATX) has to go back as it's faulty. No post, beep or nothing. How do these things pass the quality check?
Taken half a day just to establish where the problem is, god dammit!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Abletile

UPDATE

Bought most of my bits from Dabs.com, they want photo's of the m/board (including pins  :o ) and an explanation of the problem before I get a RMA number! Then it's 7-10 working days for them to collect it! Sheesh!
No wonder they are cheap  :D

It is her birthday next Friday and I was hoping to give her my old system by then, so I've ordered another one and I'll claim a refund on the FU one (faulty unit, in case anyone was going to make up something else,  :laugh: )

I've just remembered why I sold my PC shop now  :-D

Maybe I should have gone to newegg,  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fragger

The best laid plans of mice and men - didn't reckon with the PC industry :D

Binnatics

Hope you'll have more luck on the second try. I had a Faulty CPU once, something that almost NEVER occurs. Happens to everybody sometimes I guess. But back then I didn't have such a horrible client support. I just got a new box straight away. It was a Pentium 4 clocked @ 2,8 Ghz. Good old days :-D
Took me quite some time and worries before I dragged back the case to the shop though, explaining that "I couldn't get it to w@&k". I was so damn relieved that it was a faulty cpu, at least I hadn't done something wrong ;D It was the first time I built a system with components ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Abletile

Update:-
After trying another m/board and another cpu it still wasn't posting (WTF)!  :(

:lamp: The only item I could try again was to 'borrow' the psu from my current PC and try that. Well that sorted the mother!  :-X

That means that my other spare psu is faulty as well, what are the odds on that?

Well its off into town now to see if I can source a decent PSU.

Art Blade

good luck on that, mate :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳