Experiences using Ziggy's mod

Started by B33 ENN, April 10, 2013, 01:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on April 14, 2013, 05:12:22 PMI have not tried the wing suit mostly because that is something that takes a bit of immersion out of the game for me.

I do walk most of the time due to the fact that the wingsuit doesn't w@&k (yet) and I admit that it is more immersive without wingsuit.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 15, 2013, 08:05:52 AM
I was too tired (it was too late) but now: Done  :-D

lol, you do keep things neat and tidy!  +1  :-X

Art Blade

As Dr Earnhardt would say, "think nothing of it"  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I may have found a solution to the wingsuit problem. My key for it is L.Shift which is also (and that's what the key map says) used for sprinting. Then I have spacebar which I use for jumping. Apparently it works if I press both of them together the moment I want to deploy it when jumping off a cliff. In mid-air it didn't w@&k to use the L.Shift key so I have to try if both spacebar and L.Shift together do the trick. Still strange.

TheStranger

I tried it and although I like many features I absolutely hate the new menu because you can't read a damn thing - same color font on same colorered background is a no go. Asked ziggy about this but he said, there is nothing he can do about it.

And another thing that bothered me was that the handbook entry disabled from the menu? Many asked why and the only answer was that you can also press F4 (I think it is F4). Senseless changes - because why the hell couldn't he let the menu entry like it was in vanilla - no one was complaining about it.

Now I use the 30 days mod and I like it very much - it is more vanilla but still you have things like no minimap and other nice changes. And the menu design is like in vanilla :)

Art Blade

I might give that a try :)

Meanwhile, I tested the wingsuit some more (drop off a hang glider) and indeed, the suit only activates with spacebar and then L.Shift but it is random. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. And I really don't want to splatter against a rock just because it doesn't w@&k when I really need it.

Art Blade

Having played through the monster scene and gone through the Citra scene I think this (Ziggy's) mod contains more changes than was described, at least I didn't know the bow had rapid fire in order to take down the huge monster more easily and then I realised the red blood war paint was removed from Citra. Who knows what else is different from the vanilla game

[smg id=5852 type=preview align=center caption="2013 04 16 00006"]

here the "vanilla" (or rather, bloody) version
[smg id=5853 type=preview align=center caption="2012 12 11 00042"]

PZ

That's much nicer... I mean the part about the rapid fire bow.  >:D  8-X

Art Blade

Art Blade

Ah, there is one more detail I noticed: Dennis's turquoise front tooth
[smg id=5854 type=preview align=center caption="2013 04 16 00017"]

PZ

Yeah, I saw that too in my travels through the islands.  I thought it was just poor dental hygiene.  8-X

Art Blade

nice.. keeping ONE tooth covered in mould and the rest clean takes a lot of effort I imagine  :-D

PZ

PZ

I haven't done main missions for a while (am at the beginning of the Medusa mission), but have been having more fun simply wandering the islands wreaking havoc and liberating outposts.  Although I've visited all of these outposts before, I've managed to use different approaches which makes the liberations that much more fun.

Art Blade

Well, I have, and I chose the funny end to re-check on the missing blood war paint.
[smg id=5886 type=preview align=center caption="2013 04 20 00061"]
And had a nice "thank you" message I hadn't expected. :)
[smg id=5887 type=preview align=center caption="2013 04 20 00079"]

PZ

Art Blade

reminds me of her brother, just about equally crazed out. Bitch..  :)

Art Blade

I've solved the wingsuit problem: press and hold spacebar, then press L.Shift (or, hold jump and press sprint) -- and there you go.  :) once you're flying you can release those keys.  :-()

Art Blade

Having played through and finished the game with this mod, it is now very enjoyable because I don't need any mission markers any more AND am able to reset all outposts again once they're all liberated. Which I did right after finishing the game :) My favourite place to hang out is The Compound -- after finishing the game, mercs will spawn there and if you leave surrounding outposts alone you'll get plenty of fresh mercs showing up on patrol. Which reminds me: the range of the remote control for the C4 explosives has been increased I think. With this mod I can drop a C4 at the West gate and run out the East gate and still blow it up. This allows for a back and forth gaming because when you killed mercs on one end they'll have respawned on the other end whom you may want to surprise "remotely" :-D I drop one mine right in the gate opening and a C4 somewhat outside to blow up arriving patrol cars. The mercs who want to check the compound set off a mine and I'll do that in turns -- from gate to gate  >:D

There is one thing I missed about it when I wasn't using Ziggy's mod: The ability to "climb" steeper slopes than the vanilla game allows. With this mod, you may run uphill at roughly 45° and more while the vanilla game starts to annoy you with anything that is slightly steeper than perhaps 30°. Which means, with this mod it is usually possible to run cross-country without having to run around mountains and hills. Now that I found out how to use the wingsuit, this mod is really nice.

I also like the increased damage of many guns and of course the upgrades for all of them. My favourite new signature weapon is the Inferno bow that always shoots arrows with fire tip. I prefer to set cars alight with it from afar. Usually, if you hit the driver, the car goes ballistic and then blows up after some time  :-D

PZ

Good observations.  I too greatly appreciate being to go up steeper inclines than vanilla allows.  I don't know why the developers think that limiting the reasonable slopes a human could climb is beyond what they want to allow - reminds me of a comment JRD made during FC2 times in which he mentioned that it was sometimes difficult to jump over a rock.

PZ

I'm becoming a bit better at fighting crocodiles, and at recognizing where they like to hang out.  Lily pads are a favorite of theirs, and they like to float just beneath the surface.  If I need to go across a body of water where I suspect there might be one of those devils, I'll dive down, then look up to see their shadow.  I guess they don't look down too much.

On an aside, I was on the mission where you are to blow up the munitions in some kind of lumber yard.  I hid across the river on top of a hill and sniped each person in the camp, then made my way across to blow up the hardware.  As soon as I set the charge and the timer started, I ran toward the river and jumped in blindly.  Imagine my surprise to discover a crocodile attacking me from the front while the pirates attacked from behind.  Quite an exciting moment or two, and I even managed to survive.

Art Blade

yep, that croc lingers near the only pier :) And you are right, they only attack what comes at them from ahead and only when about a yard or so away from their head.

mandru

One of Buck's missions has a crock that will grab you when you drop into a water filled passage and there's one side mission with a crock that attacks as you are leaving after checking out a cave (it's very dark so I can't verify that there's lily pads present) but other than those two situations I don't think I've ever seen a crock without the cover of lily pads.

In fact it's become so second nature for me to be leery of lily pads that their presence (in an mmorpg I play) causes me a moment's concern every time I run past a pool or river decorated with them and the only crocks to be contended with in that game are out clearly roving around on the banks.  :-\\
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on April 24, 2013, 09:39:02 AM
...In fact it's become so second nature for me to be leery of lily pads that their presence (in an mmorpg I play) causes me a moment's concern every time I run past a pool or river decorated with them and the only crocks to be contended with in that game are out clearly roving around on the banks.  :-\\

:laugh: :-X

I remember a similar feeling when playing FC2... whenever I passed a gas station that had a large propane tank  >:D

PZ

One other benefit of using a mod that allows you access to the southern island is that the privateers always hate you equally as much as the pirates in the north.  Makes for quite a challenge getting around  >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳