Maybe FC3 is not quite as linear in some places...

Started by PZ, January 12, 2013, 03:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

One of the hated places is called "Black Gold", in which you need to destroy 4 fuel areas.  At first glance it appears that you are forced into a linear run-and-gun.  However, I managed to do the mission open world style, and in fact, it turned out to be much like doing 4 outposts in sequence, with my usual high position/sniper method.  This might just be a saving grace for you, mandru, and might lead you to actually enjoy this mission.  ;)

The other thought is that we might explore other seeming linear missions to see if we can find another way.  Sure, there are those that cannot be done any other way (e.g., boss mission), but others might be done in other ways.

Click here for the main mission spoiler complete with images

Jim di Griz

I just knew there had to be more to that mission than at first met the eye - so that's why the parameters weren't very clear  :) Kudos for a great discovery sir  :-X

I actually enjoyed the frantic nature of it the first time, not really knowing where to go, etc. I will certainly have fun trying out other approaches in future  ^-^
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Thanks JdG, 

Spoiler
Each of the four areas were different but I used the basic approach the same way - find the high point, then snipe away.  Interestingly, when you approach the areas from high ground, you can see virtually all of them because they are all in close proximity.  I had fun mapping the explosive barrels, the machine gun trucks, and items onto which to climb, like the Petro Sahel-style tower.

There was one issue however, and I hope it is not linked to a hidden timer.  I'd spent about 15-20 minutes doing the first three areas, and taking my time.  As I was going to do the 4th area, I climbed into a machine gun truck intending to be in it when I activated the yellow spot.  When I did that, I immediately got the message "Mission failed - Sam is dead".  I don't know if being in a different truck killed him, if I had exceeded a hidden timer, or if I had driven too close to the area and an enemy from another area got him.  I never did see his health meter drop one bit.

EDIT: after experimenting a bit, I've discovered that a timer is not in effect.  Either you need to stay in relative close proximity to Sam (and the vehicle) or more likely, you need to enter the vehicle after you complete each fuel depot detonation because Sam has some dialog that he evidently needs to complete before moving on to the next area.  In any case, if you keep Sam relatively close and enter the vehicle after each detonation there is no problem completing the mission.

Jim di Griz

Maybe he drove over one of you mines - you know what these German drivers are like, 200kph down the Autobahn  ;)

Now Art is going to kill me... :angel:
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Art Blade

no no no, Jim.. not kill.. I'd probably invite you to drive with me on said Autobahn.. and enjoy the gargling and gagging sounds you'd be going to make.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

mandru

Cool approach PZ.  I had some questions posted on the other thread you linked.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Thanks mandru, I think you'd like this approach because you can take all the time you want. 

Spoiler
Yes, there are a few hot spots when you initiate the next trigger in the mission, but even those are fun because you can easily run away and go back to your high spot in the hills and pick them off again.  The cool thing is that there are plenty of explosive barrels to trigger, and even large propane tanks - basically anything in red.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on January 12, 2013, 08:59:57 PM
no no no, Jim.. not kill.. I'd probably invite you to drive with me on said Autobahn.. and enjoy the gargling and gagging sounds you'd be going to make.  :-D
:laugh: that would probably be my reaction - we Brits still need a person walking in front with a red flag to warn of an idiot behind the wheel  ;)

fragger

Great w@&k on this PZ :-X Leave it an OWG-er to find the way around :)

Maybe we can get that included in the dictionary: "Owger - one who finds the way around" :-()

PZ

:-D thanks fragger; playing the game in a way not intended is a good part of the fun for me. Doing this mission using an unorthodox approach allows you to discover the scripted trigger points, which then allows potential circumvention of the intended path.

Art Blade

:-D

Don't forget the explosive tank truck during that mission. And I found out that leaving Sam outside the main entrance watching while I mop up the place is safer because they don't catch him there. Afterwards I catch him and drive him to that parking spot which is part of the scripted mission.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Art Blade

I just came across a topic where you described the same thing  :laugh: :-X

PZ

Jim di Griz

I tried the rice fields mission differently today - just a bit of creeping through the burning town to seed a few key points with mines. The game is definitely watching and learning, as not one of them went off and a whole mob of pirates were dancing jigs and having square dances in the places I'd placed them...

So it seems that not all missions are as circumventable. It was however quite good fun sneaking around the town.

Tags:
🡱 🡳