weird glitch

Started by Binnatics, December 27, 2012, 05:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

You must have annoyed the game on the prior evening.  It's anger had cooled by morning.

Art Blade

it's just like any random woman. Have a promising start and then it goes fubar without ever knowing what on earth caused that. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Well, I tried the exact same thing again tonight, and the exact same thing happened. Well, almost... this time I didn't get stuck in a permanent crouch. Still, I couldn't interact with anything on the tower, so I tried to do a base jump off it, only to find that I couldn't interact with my wingsuit either. Thud...

Interestingly, when I respawned, I found myself at the very same tower that I hadn't been able to interact with. So I climbed up it and this time all was as it should have been.

It's odd that I once flew to this tower in the exact same way and everything worked as it should, but now it hasn't, twice in a row. Maybe the game is learning - having been created by Skynet :-\\

Jim di Griz

Quote from: fragger on January 13, 2013, 04:38:21 AM
...Maybe the game is learning - having been created by Skynet :-\\
The towers are linking up!  ^-^
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

Having previously experienced a situation where dressed as  a recruit I'd grabbed a .50 cal armed truck at a heavily populated privateer location and had two of them jump on board (one shotgun and the other as gunner) I figured it was something I should be able to recreate but switch the alignment of my passengers to carry the fight to the bad guys.

The chance to experiment came when I had one of the rubber air filled boats but it had no gun so when I spotted an armed patrol boat of the same type that had no gunner I edged up close and finally managed to hop over to that other boat and was able to assume the gunner position.

But the boat wasn't going anywhere interesting and after becoming bored shooting a few dozen sharks I tried hitting the "C Key" for change between driver and gunner position without effect.  So then I tried exiting the gunner position and standing next to the driver and hitting the "E Key" for Commandeer (take over vehicle).  Once again to no effect.

The native driving studiously ignored me and while I knew that I could shoot him and have the boat to myself but I really wanted to preserve him as a gunner so I could the pilot with the thought in mind that I could take us somewhere we could find some heat instead of making circles in peaceful waters.  Strolling around the deck I finally positioned myself directly in front of him trying to block his view.  I received the sound of me being run over by the boat and I was dead.

Add another item to the list of "Things to avoid doing in the game".  ???
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Jim di Griz

How weird indeed - sounds like someone I saw in co-op yesterday who kept getting runover by the truck. I found out later that they kept on trying to jump onto the cab, for whatever reason.

Difference is the idiot kept on doing it...

I also got dumped into the river as the boat steamed off when doing the co-op gunning challenge. Co-op has lots of weirdness.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

mandru

Had a crock grab me right out of a boat when I stood up from driving as I was preparing to exit via the nose of the boat which was shoved well up on the beach.  :D
- mandru

fragger

Quote from: Jim di Griz on January 13, 2013, 06:44:15 AM
Difference is the idiot kept on doing it...

Apparently nobody ever told him the definition of insanity.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: fragger on January 13, 2013, 02:29:04 PM
Apparently nobody ever told him the definition of insanity.
:laugh: I had my mic on - I wish I'd though of saying that...

fragger

Here's a few minor anomalies I've observed. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced these:

Animal sounds disappearing - sometimes I'll be scouting an outpost or just standing around when I'll get a red flash and "scratch marks" and will look down to find a dog gnawing on my arm or a Komodo Dragon chewing my ankle, all taking place in complete silence. They'll sneak up on me apparently in stealth mode, and even after I shake them off and shoot them they won't make any sounds. Looks weird to see a dog throw its head back and mime a howl! This glitch fixes itself after a while.

Tag silhouettes disappearing - occasionally after I've tagged a bunch of guys (and sometimes animals) the little red tag will stay above a particular tagee but the grey silhouette will disappear. This seems to happen after I've taken out one of the other tagged enemies in the same location. A tad annoying as I can see where the tagged enemy is direction-wise, but not how close he is or which way he's facing. This glitch doesn't fix itself, such tagged enemies stay that way until they're killed. Fortunately, it happens only very occasionally.

Money (and one loot crate) that can't be interacted with - Here and there I come across a wad of cash that can't be picked up. For instance, in Badtown there's some money lying on the floor of a house next to a mattress with a woman writhing on it (whether she's sick, been assaulted or rapt in a post-coital euphoria I can't tell - I'm assuming one or both of the first two), and no matter how often I go in there and try I can never pick up that money. In all cases, it's not because my wallet and/or rucksack is full - I just never get an interact prompt. I try standing and crouching at all angles to the money but it makes no difference. There's also a loot crate on the south island under a table on a kind of porch-like structure that stubbornly refuses to be interacted with. I can never open that one, so I'm probably missing out on $9 and a seashell there :-()

Like I said, they're minor quirks.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on January 14, 2013, 02:37:33 PM
... rapt in a post-coital euphoria I can't tell

:laugh: :-X

I've not experienced the issues you mention on either console of heavily modded PC version.

Art Blade

Jim di Griz

Only the money and one loot chest have remained superglued down for me - I suspect a bunch of Rakyat are hiding behind a bush close by and laughing their socks off...

I've not seen any of the other glitches though - however co-op is currently experiencing a plague of invisible allies and enemies - makes things a bit difficult.

mandru

The loot chest under the table?  It's right on the river front? North bank maybe?

If it's the same location I'm thinking of try a little C-4 to take either the table or if there's a chair in the mix it gets them out of the way.

As for sound dropping out I will get the same thing some times with vehicle engines.  I really hate it when I get an electric Jet-ski.  :-D
- mandru

PZ

I'm sure you guys have already done this, but did you try crouching to get access to the chest under the table?  There was one in an area I can't recall now that was a challenge to get unless crouching.

I do remember one place where I had difficulty getting to a chest in plain sight - inside a trommel in the mining town.  I went in via the open end of the trommel, but ran into an invisible wall.  However, I could go down into the trommel's hopper and get it just fine.  Oddly enough, I could exit the trommel via the original way I tried to enter.

mandru

Nothing as simple as a crouch PZ.  That was the first thing I tried.  ::)

It's possible that it have been the med kit or the ammo restock sitting on top of the table that was blocking my ability to loot the chest.

The spot I'm talking about is on the deck of a hut located at X:295.9, Y:366.9 on the North bank of the river running East to West on the Southern island between Krige Valley River Fishing Outpost and the Airport.
- mandru

PZ

I figured you likely did, but wanted to be sure.  I'll check out the coordinates to see if I have the same issue - always nice to know if it a general bug or one limited to something with the particular save, or PC, or whatever.  ;)

mandru

PZ I went back and checked that spot I mentioned just above. If you have full health and a full med kit the med kit on the table top will beep and maintain a barrier with it in the way so that the loot chest won't register.  The same is true for the ammo also setting on the table top where full ammo in your inventory creates a rejection barrier so that once again the loot chest won't register for interaction.

If you do go to that spot PZ watch out for the local crock.  He's the one that grabbed me right out of the boat.   ???
- mandru

Jim di Griz

There is a loot chest that appears on the map but is nowhere visible and it has nothing to do with ammo or health packs as it is in the open on an island in the river. I will provide co-ordintes shortly but it's a little way north-west of a Rakyat challenge where you use the shottie, just past a small temple - EDIT: X:730.6/Y:710.5 is the island's location

Both my lady wife and myself are experiencing difficulties finding this one, so it's not a game save issue - it also periodically disappears from the map and mini-map when you are hunting around for it. I will say that I haven't tried setting it as a location.

fragger

I think I may know the one you mean, Jim - and if not, then this is another oddie. You'll find it here

[smg id=5459 width=600]

on this tiny, tiny little island (or rather you won't). There's a crocodile near it, so be careful. I've noticed that there will be a diamond icon showing on the map right on that little island but it disappears from my minimap when I get on top of it, and I can't see anything there. But if I then open the main map, the icon will still be visible on the map but in a slightly different position (but still on the island). So I'll make a waypoint on it and close the map, but if I'm still close by it won't show up on the minimap and I won't see a flashing waypoint indicator. If I stand where the item's shifted position was indicated and open the main map, the diamond will have shifted to yet another position on the island. The island is tiny, only a few meters across, so if there was something there you wouldn't think it would be too difficult to find.

If I get right off the little island and open the main map, the diamond is back where it was to start with, right in the middle, and if I then close the map, the diamond will be back on the minimap as well. But as soon as I get on that island, poof - away it goes again. And as far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing there. I think maybe the programmers forgot to put the chest on the island but it was still included on the map, or something like that.

Something else I've noticed with the loot icons on the map. If you buy the loot and items maps for a given area, not all of the items in that area will be shown on the map immediately. Often, new diamond icons will appear in places you've already done, as though they're being "released" over time. I know it's not my imagination because it was happening so often that I started making a point of observing. Example: The purchased maps will show four item locations close to a particular place, let's say an outpost. I will diligently collect those four items and they will all disappear from the map. Sometime later, I'll notice that yet another diamond icon has appeared in that same area. When I go to check it out, it will indeed turn out to be something that I hadn't collected before - not because it was shown on the map before and I missed it, but because it simply wasn't shown before. In other words, the purchased maps don't reveal everything at once, they seem to reveal the total items over time.

Rant:
On the subject of glitches, I'm still getting these blasted hangs and losing all my progress during the session leading up to the hang, regardless of how often I save. So since my save game function is basically useless until I quit the game via the menu, I have to stop playing every hour or so, save and exit the game, then reload it just in case I get a hang. Earlier today it slipped my mind and I played for three straight hours without a hitch, but at other times it's hung after only about ten minutes. An hour and a half seems to be about my average session time before the game folds, so I play for an hour, get myself to a safehouse (so I know where I'll be starting next time), do a save, quit and reload. Otherwise I lose everything I've done during that session when the inevitable hang comes.

I enjoy the game but I am not impressed with the save/load functionality - not impressed at all. Even if it was working properly, I still think it's a bodgy system designed by some misanthropic trog. Three slots - I mean, come on... I really miss FC2's no-nonsense, logical, straightforward, user-friendly system.
end Rant

mandru

When you mentioned the loot case that wasn't there I instantly thought of this location that fragger has provided.  :)

To add to fragger's thorough scouring of this little lump of rock I can only add that when you are standing 20 or 30 paces away from the indicator created onscreen by having the way marker set on the diamond in the map screen it shows that the target location is right at the surface and not in a cavern underground.  The marker will maintain that elevation as you move in an arc left or right as you sweep around it's location.

I've collected all diamond markers on the Northern island except for this one.  Worth noting after considerable collection efforts and the loot chests start to become exhausted then loose money laying around starts to appear on the map as diamond markers and is indistinguishable from loot cases.  So if you are just after loot cases it pays to be methodical in your gathering patterns.  ;)
- mandru

Jim di Griz

Yup, that's the one fragger - it moves around for me too - I reckon the croc ate the chest...

PZ

Quote from: fragger on January 15, 2013, 03:54:12 AM
...I enjoy the game but I am not impressed with the save/load functionality - not impressed at all. Even if it was working properly, I still think it's a bodgy system designed by some misanthropic trog. Three slots - I mean, come on... I really miss FC2's no-nonsense, logical, straightforward, user-friendly system...

I agree wholeheartedly.  I too miss the old FC2 way of saving the game, where you had the option to save as many games as your hard disk space would allow.  Three slots is ludicrous, and is the same lame method that I hated in the Assassin's Creed series. 

Question: What is the definition of an idiotic moron?

Answer:
Spoiler
a person who has the choice between two methods of accomplishing a task and ALWAYS choosing the wrong one.  (e.g., someone stupid enough to make it to the top of the Ubisoft developer chain)  \:/

:shocked  did I say that?

durian

Only idiots think having 3 save slots is a briliiant idea  :D
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Tags:
🡱 🡳