weird glitch

Started by Binnatics, December 27, 2012, 05:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Thanks Durian.  :)

Quote from: durian on October 11, 2013, 12:32:53 PM
mandru, I wish I can write posts that are long and excellent as yours...

I'm afraid it comes from being an old geezer, naturally long winded and not having anyone around to talk to most of the day.  :laugh:

I think we use football because of the emphasis placed on the kickoffs that start the play at the beginning and second half of the game as well as when the ball is turned over to the other team after a score.

I'm not certain about that but outside of the kickoffs any punting in the game is typically much less dramatic and though essential as punting is (when used to attempt an extra point or to kick the ball as far down field as possible before losing control of it on a fourth down) it's not really considered to be a ceremonial highlight of the game the way a kickoff is.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

durian

Quote from: Art Blade on October 11, 2013, 02:03:08 PM
:-D

..or, to "anything-but-football"  >:D You know, they're used to carrying the ball around with them across the field and old habits die hard  :-()

In my country, there seems to be no other sport than "soccer." What I hate the most is entering the office after a football match and from that moment on having to overhear almost all male colleagues talking about that fudging game all day long. Not to mention those days or weeks before the match.  :D OK, there may be a few people who are fond of Formula One racing but that is by far not as bad as the football topic.

Same with my old country if not more. People talk about WC, Euro Championship, Champion League, SouthEast Asian Cup, Asian Cup, South American Cup ... I would stay up late until 4-5 am to watch live WC matches because of the differences in time zones.
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

fragger

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your box exploits mandru :-X :) That's probably about the most fun I've ever heard of anyone having with a box (a cardboard one, that is ;))

Football/fotball/futbol/footy is a national obsession here too, so much so that if another man asks me "Which team do you follow" and I respond with "None, I'm not into it" I get the sort of look that I would get if I'd just confessed to being a hermaphrodite. Like Art I've worked in places where the sole topic of conversation is "the footy" which causes my eyeballs to involuntarily roll about and puts thoughts of the "get a life" variety in my head.

The two main forms of football played here are Rugby League in some states and Australian Rules in others. If I had to choose (and I can't stress the term "had to" greatly enough) I would choose Australian Rules. It's fast-paced, fairly skillful and can actually be exciting to watch at times. Rugby League is more of a brute-force contest which all too often degenerates into an all-in brawl, which is not really surprising given the nature of the game and the nature of the players, the upward-tapering heads of many of whom resemble Easter Island statues and contain about the same number of I.Q. points. The game itself is heavily contact based - charge into the guy with the ball and try to tackle him, and if he can't be legitimately tackled to the ground, thump him there instead.

Whenever I see any of that game, I can't help but think that the Leakeys are wasting their time searching for the missing link in East Africa - it's alive and well and playing League in Oz :-()

Soccer is fairly big here too, but not as much as the other codes.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

- mandru

durian

Quote from: fragger on October 12, 2013, 05:14:21 AM
I've ever heard of anyone having with a box (a cardboard one, that is ;))

Football/fotball/futbol/footy is a national obsession here too,

Soccer is fairly big here too, but not as much as the other codes.

I'm confused. Isn't futbol=soccer ?

Art Blade

yes, the Spanish word for it. Correctly spelled: fútbol  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

durian

I know it is. American keyboards don't allow me to spell it correctly (Well, I can if I go to a VN forum and copy and paste) But fragger obviously was confused when he's referring to it as Australian football. Here I used to watch a lot of futbol on Spanish language TV channels so I know some sports related words like futbol, deporte ...  :)

fragger

I was just gathering the words together :-D

Actually, anything to do with football confuses me ???? :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: durian on October 12, 2013, 01:16:30 PM
I know it is.

just to make sure: I wasn't correcting you, just stating the correct Spanish spelling. :)

PZ

Quote from: mandru on October 11, 2013, 03:29:20 PM
...I'm afraid it comes from being an old geezer, naturally long winded and not having anyone around to talk to most of the day.  :laugh:

:laugh: :-X +1

mandru

- mandru

PZ

I always enjoy your reads,mandru - there is depth of thought, wit, and embedded humor - always a treat  ;)

fragger

Agree totally, mandru never disappoints 8) :-X

Art Blade

I miss all those posts he nearly finished but discarded when reaching the 50,000 characters per post limit.

mandru

- mandru

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on October 15, 2013, 08:18:16 AM
I miss all those posts he nearly finished but discarded when reaching the 50,000 characters per post limit.

:laugh: :-X
We need to create a special category and see if we can increase limits for mandru  :-D

mandru

That or as I noted over here: http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=3259.msg65198#msg65198

That trick also works on big old slugs so if you put a copper strip across the threshold of threads you want to protect...

Well, there wouldn't be a need for a limit expansion.  :-()
- mandru

fragger

Quote from: PZ on October 15, 2013, 07:01:21 PM
We need to create a special category and see if we can increase limits for mandru  :-D

Heck, let's just give him his own site :-D We might need to borrow some storage space from CERN...

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

durian

Give him the new title of "Sir-write-too-long"  >:D

Art Blade

his current title "dancing with letters" already refers to his elaborate writing style but you're right, the newer titles start with "Sir" but they are not negative as in "too long". Also, they bear resemblance to "Sir Lancelot" hence the "Sir" and the "alot" ending which is intended to refer to what the person does "a lot" so it is a characterisation.  Alright, I've got a compromise. Hold on..

Art Blade

done. The reason for his long and elaborate posts is now reflected, I hope :) Since you're the new guy, we'll have to wait and see what you do most but like everyone else, you'd need a first title before we can dub you "Sir" -- so here's your new title, I hope you like it  :-D

durian

You're right, I thought "too long" implies something negative, which is absolutely not the case here. But it's intended as a joke. Anyway how about Sirwritealot  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳