Roaming the islands

Started by PZ, December 14, 2012, 07:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

cool, need to check that one out, fragger  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 18, 2012, 03:41:42 PM
welcome :)

can you give us the X/Y coordinates? When you're there, open the map and use the "centre" function (centre is where you are) and just jot down the coords from the top right corner of the map. I'd like to see it myself and hopefully be able to help you :)

Looks like there was not a temple ruin above after all, but I did go in again and try to jump down (died again).  592.2 x 774.2 are the coordinates

I did do a couple of others, one in a bunker that required a grenade to enter, but I used C4 because I need to practice with that stuff.  I wonder what the range is, say if you stick it to a vehicle.

Art Blade

You'll get a refund if they "drive" out of range.. a message pops up telling you "out of range" and you get them right back in your hands  :) :-X

and thanks for the coordinates, I'll take a look and perhaps a plunge  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 18, 2012, 09:43:19 PM
You'll get a refund if they "drive" out of range.. a message pops up telling you "out of range" and you get them right back in your hands  :) :-X

and thanks for the coordinates, I'll take a look and perhaps a plunge  :-()
Thanks for the info, and thanks for taking a plunge if you get a chance  ^-^

fragger

I've got a weird map quirk - the "center" function doesn't w@&k. The controls list at the bottom of the screen tells me that the middle mouse button is the one but it does nothing when I press it. I tried C and Enter and Tab and Space and anything else I could think of, no dice. And because I can't center, I can't get the co-ords to display my position properly. If I autoscroll the map by moving the pointer to a screen edge, the co-ords merely show where the pointer is when auto-scroll engages, and as soon as I stop scrolling, the co-ords continue to show were the pointer was just before it was moved away from the screen edge and won't change unless I do another autoscroll.

Sorry guys, but until I figure it out I won't be able to provide any accurate co-ordinates ::)

Art Blade

fragger, click on the word "CENTRE" on the screen and ignore the mouse. :) Then again, when you open the map, it will be centred on you.

PZ: I am there right now and guess what.. one of our nice stone @-walls is there (x590/y776)  :-D Check your map, PZ, and not only look for blue spots but for black spots, too. In out case, the black spot on your map is the cave entrance that is blocked by the wall, blow it up, follow the rail road, climb up the long ladder and you'll be presented with a zip line next to the ladder. Take it, zip.. and you'll be where you tried to get in from the exit  :-D

[smg id=5040 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC3 0019"]

PZ

I know the place!  I recall being there before you guys informed me of the wall demolition.  Thanks for the help!  :-X

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on December 19, 2012, 03:01:45 AM
fragger, click on the word "CENTRE" on the screen and ignore the mouse.

What can I say but "duhhh..." I never even thought to try that :D Thanks!

I found the place that you guys are talking about just last night. There are a lot of caves in FC3 - a lot.

PZ

I like the caves, but wish my flashlight was a bit more powerful.  I'd like to be able to see more detail  :-()

Art Blade

lol fragger  :laugh: you know.. expect the unexpected  :-() :-X

PZ, adjust brightness, contrast and gamma, under options > calibration  ;)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 19, 2012, 06:36:18 PM
PZ, adjust brightness, contrast and gamma, under options > calibration  ;)

Tried that but then the outside was too bright; I'm just a fussy old gamer, I guess  :-()

Art Blade

you could temporarily change the settings until you've left the cave. I've set mine to be just bright enough to see quite well in a cave yet not too bright in order to prevent me from going permanently blind on leaving a cave  :-D

PZ

:-X  Sounds like a good idea when I go into some of the more extensive caves fragger mentioned.

Binnatics

I just read the entire topic, trying to catch up, and read about the APC vehicle. I'm afraid it's not available for driving. I paid attention to all "drivable" or otherwise steerable vehicles and this APC is not one of them :-(
But definitely a nice find Fragger! I saw you found it close to the spot where you have to follow it and where Vaas suddenly pops out of it. So maybe that's why you found it in that specific region, like a mission left over.  :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

You could be right about that, Binn. It is odd that it wasn't there shortly after.

I've been having lots of fun, and finding tons of cool places, by doing this: buying the maps from the vending machines/shops then going around unlocking all the loot crates and collecting all relics and Lost Letters. There are A LOT of crates and I keep maxing out my wallet, but it's leading me to all sorts of neat locations. And led to a couple of discoveries:

If you visit Vaas' compound sometime after you've whacked him, you can just walk right in through the main gates and there are no more pirates around, just villagers and Ratyak guys. Which means that you can take your time poking around the place. There are heaps of wads of cash lying around in there, just waiting to be picked up.

In case you're not aware, this is the island with Vaas' compound on it:
[smg id=5043 width=600]

But I've also come across a couple more of those pick-it-up-before-it's-too-late scenarios - not relics this time but loot chests. There's one in Vaas' compound and a couple in Citra's temple, and maybe more in some other key places that I haven't noticed yet. The one in Vaas' compound is inside the final building you enter when you're going after him, the one with the large doors. If you visit the compound later after Vaas is dead you can't re-enter that building, so you can never get that chest from that point on - you need to get it before you kill Vaas, i.e. on your way to do him in. It's in the first room you enter (the next room is the one where he stabs you with the ornate dagger and you take a trip). Ditto the two in Citra's Temple, you need to get them during one of the visits before the big boss fight, otherwise you'll never get the chance as you can't go into the Temple again after that. One is just inside the main doors somewhere and one is right at the end of the structure, in her private area. How or when you can get to that one I'm not sure as you don't get to see that part of the temple on the first visit as it's all scripted when you get to see Citra, unless you can go in there after the "knife vision" trip. Maybe you can do it during the second visit after Citra tells you the story about the giant in the pond. I'll have to find out on a subsequent 'thru.

You don't get anything by raiding all the loot chests and Lord knows there's enough of them without those particular three, but I'd kind of like to see if I can get them all anyway just for the heck of it. That will have to wait until the next game now.

I also discovered another weapon shop at x:770 | y:788, in a little viliage NE of Badtown. Dunno how many others are around the maps.

Art Blade

some arms dealers are just alongside roads without anything of importance around or nearby.

I managed to get into Citra's temple and loot the rest, only I couldn't climb out again. You need to either kill yourself with explosives or quit to main menu and reload. You won't respawn in the temple.

fragger

???? How did you get in? I tried to climb over the walls near the entrance, could almost get there but not quite.

fragger

Btw, I've discovered that a diamond symbol on the map don't necessarily indicate a loot chest. Sometimes it simply marks the location of a few wads of cash. But most wads of cash aren't represented by any kind of symbol on the map. It's all rather inconsistent :-\\

Art Blade

fragger, follow the temple structure on its left hand side towards the coast where you'll be able to jump onto the temple structure and to climb up and around. You'll "feel" invisible walls and floors.. follow them pushing inwards until eventually you'll drop inside some grassy area :)

fragger

Cheers Art :) But I actually came across another way, going along the right side of the structure (when facing it from the front).  I had to stick to the wall, eventually the grass ran out and I went onto a masonry ledge. That ended abruptly and there was a tricky left turn which I had to do crouched or I fell off the rocks and died. Then it was a matter of sticking to the walls, with another tricky left turn at one point, and clambering over some rock until I ended up in Citra's private area (with that slab in it). From there you can just waltz into the temple proper. You can come back out the same way and there are a couple of those Zodiac-type boats in the water at the very end of the land - you don't have to kill yourself to get out.

Either way, I don't think the devs meant for the player to be able to get in to there. They didn't reckon with us though, did they? ;)

fragger

I've spent the last few nights doing nothing but going after relics, letters and chests, which I'm finding is great fun. I was supposed to be bumping off three captains for Sam but he just had to wait until I was good and ready :-() Despite its shortcomings, I'm digging the open-world aspects of this game immensely and have had tons of terrific firefights - and lots of laughs. Outside of the story missions it's an absolute blast :-X

I came across that sinkhole that Vaas dumps you into (with the bessa block tied to your ankles) - the bodies of the other poor sods are still in there on the bottom, but you have to dive deep to see them. There's a relic in that cave system too, but I'm not going to tell you how to find it...

I still have a bunch of relics and stuff on the north island to find, but I thought I'd get back into the story for a bit, so I hiked up to that high ridge NE of Citra's Temple and flew a hang glider all the way back to the south island. That is just so cool to be able to do that 8)

Art Blade

absolutely, and then using the wingsuit.. terrific  :) And no, the devs didn't reckon with the likes of us at all  :-D

As to the bodies,

[smg id=5049 type=link align=center width=500 caption="2012 12 21 00042"]

PZ

durian

The hang glider is much better than in FC2. I enjoy flying with it  :)
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Tags:
🡱 🡳