Favorite weapon load out

Started by PZ, December 10, 2012, 07:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durian

I just used the flamethrower against the baddies at the comm center (after you destroy the entrance door) and when fending horde of enemies at the dish. Felt so good  ^-^

I like the Ripper. It has both power and fire rate as well but what makes me prefer it to Shredder is that it's not suppressed.

On a side note, I found the PKM suprisingly good, a LOT better than the upgraded one in FC2 in terms of sound, range, power and accuracy.
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

mandru

Regarding the flamethrower.  Remembering to use a sideways strafing motion instead of charging in directly and also shooting from the hip instead of aiming has caused me to get well singed more times than I can count.

I've also heavily compared the Bull against the SPAS and maybe I'm just too stupid to see it but I find no edge to award to the SPAS justifying it a spot in my carry load out.  The Bull has range and knockdown force that suit my play style well.

Last night on a wanted dead mission one of Hoyt's Heavies got too close before I noticed it.  He took a moment to gloat and taunt on spotting me.  I used that same moment in what comes as close to a fast twitch reaction as I can muster and at point blank in his deep dive helmet visor gave him a "Not this time buddy!"  He went straight down as well as could be anticipated but oddly it knocked his faceplate askew which started venting green gas.  ???

What the hell, is Hoyt feeding these gorillas?  Spinach gas?  ????

If I were to assemble a typical carry load out the slots would look like this:

1. Assault weapon.  I've used this class of weapon so rarely that I've not developed a preference beyond I like something suppressed.  Spraying expensive bullets isn't my thing.  Bushmaster Signature currently loaded.

2. Pistol (no favorites) or flamethrower or grenade launcher or the Signature ultrafast .45 ACP SMG or the Signature sniper that fires the explosive rounds.  I try to select this slot with an eye on slanting any Current Objectives in my favor.

3. Permanent in this slot the Non-Signature reach out and touch someone version of that previously mentioned (in slot 2 Signature sniper with the exploding rounds).  It is suppressed, fitted with extended clip and the high magnification scope.

4. Permanent placement.  The Bull lives here.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Nice points fellas 8)

I haven't actually given the PKM a go in this game, I think my decision to avoid it has been subconsciously influenced by the "miss anything that's more than ten metres away" version in FC2. I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in :-()

mandru

For the last few years I've been shopping for a handgun that would be primarily for home defense with the thought towards comfort of use for my wife.

We've gone a few times to a local shop that has a firing range and rented a spectrum of handguns trying to find a good fit for her hand grip.  Invariably at the end of the session she comes back to my Colt 1991 A1 .45 ACP Commander as being the most comfortable grip providing her confidence of control.  While I have no problem with turning it over to her and finding another personal carry for myself in watching her handling of the Colt I'm sure it's more the custom finger grooved rubber grip (that actually grab onto your hand) I've installed in place of the original checkered hardwood grip.  It's big in her hand and reacquisition of target time suffers because of the sheer knock back power of a .45 on her much smaller than my frame.

I want to stay in at least the .40 cal to 9mm range for knockdown effectiveness reasons and as has been mentioned on another thread elsewhere in the forums the smaller caliber ammo seriously costs a lot less per practice session than keeping the Colt fed.  That said the variety of 9mm and .40 cal handguns we've tried knock her around more than my Colt because she's struggling to hang onto them before she even reaches the point of trigger pull.

So I've delayed buying something rather than commit to a less than perfect fit for her though I try to keep my eyes open for viable options.

Recently I came across a good reputable online arms dealer that ships interstate here in the U.S. through the F.F.L. (Federal Firearms Licensed network) who if for no other reason than serving as a veritable museum of what is currently available.  I even found my much beloved AS50 from FC2.  8)

Browsing the handguns by manufacturer I stumbled upon a seemingly unfamiliar company with a single simple offering which at first glance had the esthetics of a brick called the KRISS Vector SDP Super V Semi Auto .45 ACP priced around $2000 USD that on closer examination of the design and description specs really caught my attention.  The standard Glock .45 ammo magazine was forward of the trigger not in the comparatively svelte and easily encompassed hand grip.  The gas operated action which instead of operating as a standard in-line motion is redirected in an arc back and downwards in the forward housing between the trigger and ammo mag.  This design is touted as having "60% less recoil and 95% less muzzle rise".  The brick was quickly becoming a thing of beauty.

Not one to ever trust the word of manufacturers or salesmen I hauled my investigation over to YouTube and plugged in "KRISS Vector SDP" where upon the first video I encountered showed a full auto military version of the handgun.  ????   This version had an extendable folding stock for personal fit, barrel extensions (yes, there's also suppressors available), a thumb toggled selection switch that allowed for "full auto/2 shot burst/semi-auto", 2000 rounds per minute backed down to 1100 by Vector (to avoid waste I guess), flip up iron sites and accessory rails but still in the core of it all was the unmistakable 5.4 lb less than civil civilian handgun I'd thought of as a potential piece for home defense.

Trying somewhat to stay on task I pressed on and was impressed with this young slip of a lady tagging ping after ping after ping reporting the accuracy of the Vector and her skill.

KRISS Vector .45 Shooting Action

Notice her stance, the position of her arms primarily the bend of her elbows and grip on the piece.  Firing my Colt like that would probably give even me a split lip or worse establishing to my satisfaction proof positive of the significant recoil reduction claims.

And then I saw this:

Phantom Friday: The Kriss Vector Is Back with .45 ACP Incendiary Rounds

>:D  OH YEAH!  Give me some of that in FC3.  :-X

It occurred to me that the full auto version of this would have been a fun toy to have in FC3 and then Déjà vu smacked me in the side of the head before I could get in here and say something stupid.  Jumping into the game I spot checked the vending machine.  There in the SMGs was the Vector .45 ACP and in the Signature weapons another flavor with the Shredder.  :o

But I'm still nagged by the fact that the real world Vector handgun or carbine stands out as being more effective than the in game varieties.  :-\\

Why is a full magazine of the .45 handgun easily as effective against targets in FC3 as a full mag on either of the Vector SMG models?  I can accomplish more with less ammo which now makes me wonder if the Vectors have been accurately represented in FC3.  I don't think it's just because I'm trigger happy.  I know that there are civilian available 3rd party magazines that hold double the ammo load out in real life than the stingy FC3 developers allowed us.  :-\\

But don't get me wrong.  I would still love in FC3 to get my hands on a steady supply of those "Whoo Boy, good stuff" incendiary rounds.  ;D
- mandru

TheStranger

My favorites:

Melee:
Tribal Knife and Tanto

1. Bizon Bz19/Magnum/Colt
2. RPG-7
3. ACE (IMI Galil)/FAMAS/AMR
4. U100/MKG

But actually I like every weapon, and ingame I did change the loadout a lot more and tried every weapon. They did a great job on all of them because it's very hard to choose between them.

Dweller_Benthos

Tribal knife just because it looks cool.

Shredder
Ripper
The single tube grenade launcher
Bow with explosive arrows.

Sometimes swap out the grenade launcher for something else like flamer or repair tool. Everything else I ignore pretty much. Most of it I've never bothered to equip.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

currently I like

Japanese knife for the extra power and it looks nice

Shadow (1911 pistol, signature weapon)
Shredder (SMG, sw)
Bushmaster (AR, sw)
Z93 sniper rifle

All firearms are equipped with a suppressor
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Which knife is the most powerful?  Strange as it seems, I enjoy using the knife in game, and even use it on stubborn animals.

Art Blade

there are no descriptions available regarding power except for the Tanto so I can only guess that all knives are equal with the exception of that Japanese one.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

My loadout changes constantly, I like a bit of variety in my weaponry. But generally I tend to go with:

SPAS-12
Ripper
Z93 Sniper (suppressed)
Recurve Bow

I always have that last one on me, I love that thing 8)

But I do change weapons quite frequently (except the bow). I'll pack a pistol occasionally and I like the big noisy ones, the Magnum revolver and the Desert Eagle >:D But if I'm in a pistol mood and it's a matter of stealth, I'll go the Shadow.

When customising, I always go for extended mags where available.

Binnatics

MP5, recurve bow and SPAS12 are still my favourites but I did a nice discovery in MP: The SVD. Since it can fire rapidly without releasing the scoped vision (up to 10 rounds in customized MP setting), it's quite handy. You can take out multiple enemies with it before reloading. Planning to test it in SP setting now
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Y'know, I never really gave the SVD much of a chance. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's the only semi-auto sniper rifle in the game, isn't it? All the others are bolts.

Will try it out next time :-X

Binnatics

Yes, indeed. Semi-automatic. I'm a bit worried though... the mods and upgrades in SP are no match for the MP ones. I think there's no hot rounds, no reduced recoil, no fast movement or faster reloading / drawing weapons. Damn, it might be a disappointment. But anyway, I'm going to try ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

I had a go of the SVD and although I do like it, I found that it doesn't do very well against the privateer heavies - the rounds just bounce off their helmets apparently. The Z93 puts them to sleep with a single headshot, and the AMD knocks them into the middle of next week no matter where you hit them (albeit noisily).

Dweller_Benthos

I've re-settled on the new load out:

#1 - Shredder - this is so powerful, it's really like cheating. Three rounds to the body for most enemies, and that's only because it fires so fast that's the smallest amount I can squeeze out with a finger twitch.
#2 - Sniper, the M700 I think it is, with high scope range and silencer. I'd really like to be able to add the bigger ammo mag, but it only takes two add-ons. Single round to the head and they are goners, two to the body. The big armored guys you can get with one head shot if they are facing away from you so their helmet doesn't block the shot, other wise, on those guys I use the
#3 - Ripper, just hold down the fire button and anything in the way gets dead real quick.
#4 - Recurve bow with explosive arrows, reach out and touch someone... with a grenade.

At this point I'd very rarely swap out the bow + explosive arrows for a grenade launcher, the RPG reload time is too long. The flame thrower and repair tool for special occasions, and I still have to kill someone with the repair tool.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

The Ripper LMG can sustain a burst of about 13 seconds. Non-stop. :-D

mandru

I'm glad the bow is effective for most of you.  The fact you guys like the bow at the very least means that UBI didn't intentionally include something that for me anyway is the equivalent of grenades that blow up in your hand the instant you pull the pin.  ::)

I really have tried to become proficient with the bow in FC3.  While I can get the left/right axis spot on the calculations for drop at any kind of range totally eludes me.  Oddly enough when younger I was dubbed a deadeye with both recurve and compound bows by friends who would go out every year for the elk and deer bow hunts.  I would accompany them on their preseason field target practices.  It was only due to my distaste of the flavor of wild game that I would politely decline their invitations to buy my hunt tags and go along with them for the real thing.  They tended to view my disinterest in the hunts as a waste of talent verging on heresy but as a strong believer in "eat what you kill" at least for the purpose of sport I'd much rather shoot big game with a camera.  :)

It's as if the drop rate is variable and dependent on each and every specific target I'm trying to drop a bead on.  I have to admit that the only way I've ever been able to complete most of the hunter challenges that require a bow is to load up with syringes, wade in and hack at the target with a machete.

By the time I've fired three arrows the target I'm shooting at is on me.  It's either chewing on my throat or cutting me to pieces one way or another.  A baseball bat would give me better results.  I get more effective damage through open confrontation with the repair tool because it at least creates some irritation for the enemy instead of announcing "Hey, here I am!" when I'm trying to be stealthy which as I understand is supposed to be a large part of the purpose behind the bow even being in the game.  :-\\
- mandru

Binnatics

:laugh:

I'd like to blow someone to mid next week too Fragger, heheh

Sorry to hear you don't like the bow so much Mandru, but I must admit it's nothing useful when hunting big wild things like tigers, bears etc. A beast like that will take 3 or even more arrows to drop dead, while any human is dead instantly with a regular arrow shot, even if you hit him in his leg. Except for the huge armoured guys in the southern Island, and the heavies in the North need a headshot from behind with it. Once you use the bow for taking over Outposts, you'll learn to love it. When I go hunting, I make sure to carry either the Bull or the SPAS12. More Bang for the Buck, heheh :-()

Art Blade

Mandru: The bow with regular arrows works best if you buy and use the marksman sights.

Try target practice by walking to and then away from something that reacts on impact such as explosive barrels or welding gas cylinders or even C4, preferably next to any sort of wall or fence. Alarm fuse boxes also w@&k, even in liberated outposts they will still blow up noisily. Count your footfalls if you like but somehow try to imagine the distance between you and the target, then check the marks on your sight for an appropriate distance and shoot your arrow. Remember exactly the point that lined up with the target and as soon as you hit ("boom" hehe) you got that distance right. Walking up to the target after every miss will help you determine how far off you actually were, the arrows tend to stick in the wall or, if short, lie on the ground on your way to the target.

Moving targets such as found during hunter quest are best taken out while they are running towards you. Best start to shoot them while they're still some distance away, then hit them several times before they reach you. More than once the last arrow that killed was the one I fired into the animal when it was close enough to kick it. So, the farther, the better, to stick as many arrows as possible into it :)

(That technique also saves you the pain of searching the area for the beast so you can skin it.. like that, it will almost drop to your feet or at least will be in a straight line away from you)

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with using animal repellent or the god mode syringe  :-()

Godspeed  :)

Binnatics

The Marksman sight is indeed quite unmissable in the beginning. Once you get a hang of it, you don't need it anymore. In MP, you can choose only one upgrade, which will be either explosive or burning arrows because you want to be sure your victim drops dead, even if you have a near miss. So no nice sight available there.  :-D But once you get a feeling for the distance, it becomes easier. I really like how an arrow gently disappears in an enemy's neck without a sound :)

Art Blade

SP is different in almost every aspect, so don't worry about what counts in MP, mandru :) SP, the recently added new hardest difficulty "Master" won't allow stealthy bow kills. You drop someone near other bad guys and they will all freak out.  :-D

Binnatics

Hm, I must yet experience that ????

mandru

The following is an opinion piece that I don't have the metrics to prove but I find has provided favorable usage in the game.  :-D

I've started using the BZ19 SMG and find it to be a competent second slot carry that is easily on a par or exceeds not only every other SMG but the assumed heavier class of assault rifles as well when all parameters of performance are factored in.

Its 9mm rounds allow for an easily controlled burst that is delivered at a slower rate from the large capacity helical clip so I'm not over killing and having to reload as often as I find myself doing with other weapons of its class and as I said almost every one of the assault rifles.  I've come to rely on it in silenced configuration for stealth but it's got a attention grabbing and satisfying 9mm pop without the silencer.  I wish the game's optical sights wouldn't have times where the sweet spot in the center of the reticle goes dark or muddy however that's not the fault of the BZ19 as I get that effect on every other weapon it attaches to.

That the BZ19 has better range and damage than the (in my opinion) under-balanced .45 cal Vector in it's class is a bit unrealistic but it's just a game and you gotta go with the tools that w@&k best for you, eh?
- mandru

PZ

Art Blade

agree  :) I used the Bizon (BZ19) quite a bit in SP, too, and only changed it for the MP-5 (nowadays without suppressor) because of its accuracy. I can squeeze single bullets for headshots with that MP5 and really like the sound, too.

Tags:
🡱 🡳