FC3: Tips and Tricks

Started by Art Blade, December 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durian

Quote from: fragger on December 13, 2012, 04:53:35 AM
Watch it Jim, you could lose your title of Sir Gamealot! We may have to change it to Sir Doesn't-Quite-Game-So-Much-As-Spearhead :-()
:-()

spearhead should get title:"Sir Gametoomuch"
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

PZ

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I found out that you can shoot the tops off welding gas tanks and they'll fly around like the ones in FC2, starting a fire when they blow up. There's not many of them around, but they have the potential to do some damage if they can be set off in the right place at the right time!

Art Blade

same goes for red and yellow barrels as well as ammo crates (those you can interact with, they seem to contain rockets, grenades, ammo..). Ammo crates do produce nice fireworks :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Flamethrower during missions

I have never (FC2) been much of a fan of the flamethrower so I've only used it for testing purposes and put it back under lock and key. My current favourite (FC3) loadout is an SMG (signature weapon "the Shredder") as a powerful automatic weapon for extreme situations only, an assault rifle (the silenced MS16 for all purposes with highest accuracy and sufficient range, semi-automatic, powerful, never runs out of ammo dropped by enemies) and a sniper rifle (the Z93, the most powerful silenced sniper with very high accuracy which replaced my silenced M700).
Now the fourth weapon slot.. I keep carrying the AMR as #4, a signature sniper with the first three bars in its stats maxed out (accuracy, damage, range). One shot into a Jeep's grille and the car will catch on fire and blow up. One shot only. Only downside to it is.. no suppressor and man, it sounds like thunder  :-D Sometimes #4 is a shotgun (the Hunter, signature weapon) or an LMG (the Ripper, signature weapon).

So this time around (mission #31) I decided to drop the AMR or Ripper or Hunter in favour of the flamethrower on a mission, and I wasn't sure whether or not it was a big mistake.

Turns out that I was able to clear huge areas and hordes of oncoming enemies with a few bursts and I didn't even use half of the fuel I was carrying. The weapon seems to be really useful if you are in corridors or on wooden catwalks or otherwise narrow paths.. set it on fire and the flames will eat towards and through oncoming enemies and at the time block their way towards you.  :-X
Even in the open, a few bursts here and there, setting a hut on fire, a few bushes.. the flames leave a lot of lootable bodies behind :)

Give it a try if you dare. Not saying it will always be wise to use it, but I was lucky and will try it again.  :)

durian

Quote from: fragger on December 14, 2012, 04:31:40 AM
I found out that you can shoot the tops off welding gas tanks and they'll fly around like the ones in FC2, starting a fire when they blow up. There's not many of them around, but they have the potential to do some damage if they can be set off in the right place at the right time!

I just shot a gas canister at an outpoast last evening, it flew around and then  exploded killed some Rakyat guys standing nearby.  ;D The other guys immediately shot at me.

Art Blade

hehe, always careful with lethal experiments when locals/friendlies are nearby. For some reason they don't like to be part of the process of extinction  :-D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 14, 2012, 09:56:39 AM
Flamethrower during missions

Turns out that I was able to clear huge areas and hordes of oncoming enemies with a few bursts and I didn't even use half of the fuel I was carrying. The weapon seems to be really useful if you are in corridors or on wooden catwalks or otherwise narrow paths.. set it on fire and the flames will eat towards and through oncoming enemies and at the time block their way towards you.  :-X
Even in the open, a few bursts here and there, setting a hut on fire, a few bushes.. the flames leave a lot of lootable bodies behind :)

Give it a try if you dare. Not saying it will always be wise to use it, but I was lucky and will try it again.  :)

I finished the mission where you fly south.  As part of it you have to defend the airport, which involves quite a few pirates, some of whome are heavily armored.  I used the flamethrower to easily clear the lot.  The flamethrower was added to my 4th weapon slot as soon as I  crafted the holster, and is always available for when I'm in a tight jam.  It is one of my favorite close quarters weapons, and it's effects can last quite a while because of the fires it starts, some of which were as large as the fires in FC2.

fragger

The flamethrower in this game is better than the FC2 one, I think. It seems to have more of a reach and is more - well, fuel efficient :-()

I took it on board when Willis offered it up in Badtown, and when the time came to use it, I remember saying something along the lines of hell yeah or yee-har >:D

PZ

Quote from: fragger on December 14, 2012, 10:06:58 PM
The flamethrower in this game is better than the FC2 one, I think. It seems to have more of a reach and is more - well, fuel efficient :-()

Absolutely - I love the way the heavies scream when they are flamed.  :-X  I also like the fires that result.  The only thing you need to worry about is burning yourself - be sure to have the flame resistant syrettes handy!  I keep this weapon in a dedicated slot because it's damage potential is huge, and it will take down dozens of enemy while the environment burns.

Quote from: fragger on December 14, 2012, 10:06:58 PM
I took it on board when Willis offered it up in Badtown, and when the time came to use it, I remember saying something along the lines of hell yeah or yee-har >:D

:laugh: :-X

Art Blade

:-D

it is indeed a lot better than in FC2. The potential of burning yourself in the process is almost 100% though, I keep slapping my arms going "Hoo! hah! FFffff, fffff!" :laugh:

Art Blade

Wingsuit and Parachute

Use the wingsuit whenever you fall. Off a radio tower, a cliff, even boulders :) Try base jumps wherever possible.. high mountains are great if you can make it off the top without bouncing first. :)

While in mid-air, if you hit the "interact" key (the one you use on the vending machines), you can toggle between wingsuit and no wingsuit, repeatedly. Good for an even faster plunge or for slowing down a bit :) The wingsuit doesn't allow ascension, only descension.

Hit the "change seats" key to deploy the parachute.

Use the "backwards" key (keep pressing it) to descend straight down, allows for a precision landing on a spot exactly below you.

:)

Re-edited, back to the original version: you can toggle the wingsuit on and off any time by pressing the interact key. :)

Art Blade

ENDGAME (no spoilers)

After mission #34 you'll be on a set of missions without being able to go back, therefore a message will pop up telling you exactly this, "are you sure? (point of no return)"

Make a manual save before accepting the Poker Night mission: Hit ESC (go to menu) > save.

After the endgame you'll still have the save from before and can decide what to do.. you might want to do it :)

More info with a little spoiler here:
Spoiler
You'll be presented with a choice during the endgame. You cannot go back and undo the choice you made during the endgame in case you wished you had chosen differently or just out of curiosity what might happen when taking the other option. The manual save will allow you to go back and start over or even continue your open world exploration without doing the endgame yet. :)

Art Blade

PREPARATION for the time after the final mission

When you've played through, the world will stay open for you to keep exploring and do what you like. If you want some action, lots of action, after finishing the story, you should keep a couple of outposts as they are -- don't liberate them so you will keep having patrols and pirates/Hoyt mercs around for the casual mayhem.

I upgraded everything and got everything (weapons, skills and so forth) by doing the entire northern map and all of the southern radio towers. I did not need to free any outpost in the South. There will be plenty of fast travel stations even without taking down outposts.

So, if you want action.. you know what to do (or not to do)  :)

PZ

durian

I've never been a fan of the flamethrower but I think I'll give it a shot

Art Blade

I kept the flamethrower until the very last mission. During my next playthrough I'll equip it as soon as I can afford it, I guess :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 15, 2012, 01:13:01 PM
I kept the flamethrower until the very last mission. During my next playthrough I'll equip it as soon as I can afford it, I guess :)

Same here; the heavily armored guys are easy to dispatch with this one.  I hardly ever used the flamethrower in FC2, but it occupies a permanent slot in my weapons wheel.  :-X

Art Blade

Explosive Arrows and arrows and arrows with explosives (hehe)  :-()

Arrows are silent and go DAMN far. They're flying like a curve ball, so think ballistics. The marksman visor is difficult at first but if you practice a lot with normal arrows you should get the hang of it. Go recollect them by walking over them. Even if you don't see them, just walk a straight line and you should hear the click when you pick them up automatically.

[smg id=5014 type=link align=center width=400 caption="2012 12 16 00003"]

I find explosive arrows a lot more useful than fire arrows. Fire.. you can get that almost always, shoot something and it blows up and sets stuff on fire, throw Molotovs, use the flamethrower. Explosions, however..

I just took out a group of five mercs with a single explosive arrow: Multikill, 300XP, I just shot the guy in the middle  >:D

One explosive arrow kills the crew in a car. Two explosive arrows will blow up a car.

Plant C4 somewhere and shoot it with an arrow.. it goes, "zit, BOOM"  >:D You can shoot mines, too. Here, cars from left to right and peeps in the middle.. I caught all of them by surprise when I fired an arrow at two packs of C4 which I had planted earlier on the grille of the car that was, erm, it's gone  :-() See pic, devastating.. the aftermath.

[smg id=5013 type=link align=center width=400 caption="2012 12 16 00004"]

fragger

The recurve bow is definitely one of my favourite weapons :-X It's really satisfying when you take a guy down from a long distance away with it 8)

Jim di Griz

Quote from: fragger on December 13, 2012, 04:53:35 AM
Watch it Jim, you could lose your title of Sir Gamealot! We may have to change it to Sir Doesn't-Quite-Game-So-Much-As-Spearhead :-()
:laugh: Sir games a bit on Sunday and Tuesday afternoons would suit me  :)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

:)

fragger, the bow is most excellent when it comes to taking down a bear with a single shot. A single explosive arrow, that is. Very satisfying, too  >:D The equivalent of dynamite fishing; missile hunting.  :-()

fragger

Art Blade

One special arrow extra (11/10)

[smg id=5018 type=link align=center width=500 caption="2012 12 16 00033"]

1. Craft the maximum of special arrows (10/10)
2. Equip the bow and select a special arrow
3. Go to the crafting menu again and you'll see (9/10) -- because one arrow is equipped, the quiver has room for one more.
4. Craft one special arrow (10/10)
5. Now you can equip whatever you want.. you'll have 11/10  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳